Profile for Youla > Reviews

American Star: A Love Story
American Star: A Love Story
by Jackie Collins

5.0 out of 5 stars The best love story I have ever read!, 2 Aug 2006
Fantastic. I have re-read it many times, I still love the book each time as much as the first. FANTASTIC!

Sushi for Beginners
Sushi for Beginners

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved Ashling, I loved this book!!!, 2 Aug 2006
This review is from: Sushi for Beginners (Paperback)
This was the first book by Marian Keyes that I read in English 9i got Angels in a greek translation first) and I loved her writing, the characters she created, and of course the end of the story (I always love her endings!)...

I also liked the magazine setting, I actually "learned" about the magazine publishing world and it was very interesting.

I think this is a real page-turner (which I regularly re-read once or twice a year, i.e. three or four times up to now)and I always like it as much as the first time.

There are always some "patchy" sections but hey, I am giving five stars for the book in its category, not in the world's literature in general! Especially if you are an MK fan, you will absolutely love it...

Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married
Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Not so good start, greatly improving to the end, 2 Aug 2006
After having read Angels and Sushi for Beginners, I thought I would really like this one too, but I did not like the beginning about the psychic telling Lucy she would get married (I would never go to a psychic myself). I also did not like the large, strange font of my editiion of the book (it is probably different in other editions) - but as I had liked Marian's other books so much, I definitely went on reading. And it was worth it, as it touches very interesting subjects (addiction, love and relationships) with Marian's usual wit and humour.

I would normally give three stars to this one but I just add one more for the end of the book, which -it it was a movie- would have me standing up clapping... Fantastic "chick-lit" ending!

I would not recommend it as a first MK book to read though. Read her other ones first and leave this for later, when you will be better acquainted with her writing. You will enjoy it more then!

Last Chance Saloon
Last Chance Saloon

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice and "serious" book, 2 Aug 2006
This review is from: Last Chance Saloon (Paperback)
I loved this one (as all of Marian's)... I saw another reviewer saying that she was awake until 3am to read on and find out what happens - but I'm even worse, as I stayed up until 3am (well, 2am to be precise) to RE-READ the book!

The three stories of the main characters touch upon different life situations which most of us have come across one way or another, and are therefore very touching. However, even the serious situations are made lighter through Marian's usual and well-loved humour.

The underlying message that we should enjoy our life is very strong - and useful...

A very good read!

Angels
Angels

5.0 out of 5 stars First MK book I have read - and re-read!, 2 Aug 2006
This review is from: Angels (Paperback)
I am a big MK fan, and I bought Angels in a Greek translation (not a bad one, but it is totally different from the original language, all the humour changes) and then I also bought the English version - and I loved it!

This is such a "feel-good" book (as are all of Marian's - thank you Marian!), and yes, it may be a "beach read" (which is good if you live in Greece, as you spend a lot of time on beaches :-)) but nobody buys an MK book to read Homer's Iliad!

I particularly liked what another reviewer disliked - the fact that the story is centered in the USA (but is seen by an irish person). It is like an anti-Jackie Collins book and very interesting...

If you liked the other books by Marian, I think you will also like this one!

The Other Side of the Story
The Other Side of the Story

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, very original "script", 2 Aug 2006
I loved this book, with its very original way of writing (separate sections of the book for each one of the three main characters).

In the first section I was really into Gemma, so when it changed it was strange to "go away" from her, but you get into each section nicely and shortly you get involved with all three women and you really see "the other side of the story".

Worth reading; I believe that especially Marian's fans will really enjoy it!

Watermelon
Watermelon
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book!, 2 Aug 2006
This review is from: Watermelon (Paperback)
I have read and re-read all of Marian's books and I love all of them. This one is very nice and touching.

I do not agree at all with the person a few posts below, who says "How did this become published?"... If this is not someone's style, then don't just buy it in order to write an "informed review" which certainly will be negative!

I cannot comment on what I liked in the book as I would have to "give away" twists in the plot. However, this was a great book!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 30, 2008 10:28 AM BST

Rachel's Holiday
Rachel's Holiday

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, touching book, 2 Aug 2006
This review is from: Rachel's Holiday (Paperback)
This was a book that started strangely ("unlike" Marian's other books) and I thought I wouldn't enjoy it. But I've been re-reading it every few months!

Is is enjoyable, not as "light" as some of the other ones MK has written, but very, very interesting, as it helps you see deeper and deeper into Rachel's addiction, its causes, the way it affects her life and her relations...

Thank you Marian for one more great book!