Profile for Mrs. C. E. Bayley > Reviews

Content by Mrs. C. E. Bayley

Mrs. C. E. Bayley "Charley" (London)

The Book of Questions
The Book of Questions
by Gregory Stock

5.0 out of 5 stars Could ruin a marriage :o), 17 Jun 2003
This review is from: The Book of Questions (Paperback)
Pretty amazing, thought provoking questions....but a word of advice.. do not place any expectations on the answer your nearest and dearest might give to some of the questions! The q's have a way of extracting the really honest answer
A really fun book though and an excellent present for someone who likes to think!

The Lost King of France: Revolution, Revenge and the Search for Louis XVII
The Lost King of France: Revolution, Revenge and the Search for Louis XVII
by Deborah Cadbury
Edition: Audio Cassette

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 17 Jun 2003
I actually thought I had bought the book when I placed my order and was a bit stunned to say the least when the audio cassettes arrived. But, on reflection I was rather pleased since I was doing a lot of driving at the time. Something to 'keep me company' was well in order!
This audio book provided me hours of interest and information.
It was gripping, honest and well balanced. I am always amazed at how mystifying and dark history can be and I think this may be one of the most incredible tales that there is to be told.

Beggars Banquet
Beggars Banquet
by Ian Rankin

5.0 out of 5 stars I usually hate short stories but.........., 17 Jun 2003
This review is from: Beggars Banquet (Paperback)
This book was superb. Each story felt like it was a whole novel and the detail and suspense was very well crafted. I usually struggle to feel that I have devoured a short story, but this book just felt like magic. It was as if he altered space and time to make the tales feel more substantial than they are on paper.
Go on, you know you want it!!

The Painter
The Painter
by Will Davenport

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gripping read, 15 Jun 2003
This review is from: The Painter (Paperback)
Knowing that my father in law (a retired English teacher) loves clever plots and well constructed characters, I love to find a good read that I can recommend to him before he comes to stay (it makes give us something to talk about!!!)
I read The Painter and decided that this one would not quite make it in to 'Fathers' upper echelons of literarydom, but I was wrong.....this book provided us hours of digging around to see just how much of it was true. While some parts of the book are run of the mill fiction, I really believe that Davenport poured his heart and soul in to making this novel fit. The parallel storylines are interesting (although I prefer the older one). Davenport is clearly a clever man with an eye for detail and in the style of Margaret George is excellent at weaving fact and fiction together seamlessly.
Bring on the next one Mr Davenport! I hope it is as good as the first one.

The French Kitchen: A Cookbook
The French Kitchen: A Cookbook
by Joanne Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 1 May 2003
The French Kitchen amazed me. Harris and Warde collaborated to ensure that we can access to some amazing recipes that are presented beautifully with lush pictures and captivating text. We get the best of Harris's rich and diverse command of language and Warde's incredible passion for all things food.
I read Fran Warde's column in Red Magazine religiously and have used her menu plans for Christmas etc with excellent success. This book simply reporves what I already knew about both authors - they are incredible. I shake the hand of whoever's idea it was for them to work together!