Profile for Matt > Reviews

Content by Matt

Matt

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi (Previous Generation - 5th)
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi (Previous Generation - 5th)

2.0 out of 5 stars NEED OPTION TO DISABLE THE SCREENSAVER, 23 Feb 2014
The screensaver has very little point. Only for a) privacy b) keylock. Other than that it's just a pointless gimmick, and I find it REALLY ANNOYING. I use it for studying, and I often use it around the house so dont need the keys to be locked as they're not going to accidentally get pressed in my bag or anything. And I'll often get distracted and put the it down for 5 minutes, and i use it for studying so im often doing stuff on the computer with the Kindle sat on the desk with my book open for reference. AND THE DAM THING KEEPS TURNING OFF!! Why!! It doesn't save any power, it's pointless.

I can understand that some ppl might like to use it for privacy or the keylock, but surely most ppl dont mind putting it down with the "page still open". There is a button on the bottom I can use if I want to put it into lock/screensaver, I DONT need it to autmoatically time out.

Sorry to rant about this on a review but I dont know where else to vent my frustration. For something that's so simple, and in it's 4th iteration, you'd expect them to get the basics right.

It's supposed to be like an electronic version of a book, right? Well it's like one of those annoying books that wont stay open and the pages keep flapping shut!!

(I tried all the solutions I found on the internet eg ~disable Screensaver and none have worked. Even if they do, it's a very fiddly workaround (especially with no hardware keyboard) and it disables the power button, which I dont want to do. I only want to disable the timeout.)

Would really appreaciate a response from Amazon on this. Hopefully fix it in a future firmware. I can't believe that this is release 4.1.1 and the option still isn't there.

We Need Medicine
We Need Medicine

5.0 out of 5 stars They've done it again!, 5 Jan 2014
This review is from: We Need Medicine (MP3 Download)
Thought their first 2 albums were brilliant. After a long silence without releasing anything I was worried they'd run out of ideas and the next one might be a disappointment.... but definitely not!! Same creative powerful catchy sound as ever :-D I think it's difficult for bands to keep up that kind of momentum and keep producing new consistently good stuff so congrats Fratellis on another brilliant release. Absolutely excellent.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 6, 2014 1:36 PM BST

EDZ Fingerless Merino Wool Gloves
EDZ Fingerless Merino Wool Gloves
Offered by EDZ Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Thin and practical, 29 Jan 2013
I haven't worn them outside in really cold much, so can't comment on that but great for what I bought them for. I use them inside on a computer to keep my hands warm, which they do very well.

I find fingerless gloves are so much better than regular gloves because the small amount of heat u lose through your fingertips is more than compensated by the fact that you have to take them off much much less regularly. It's difficult to describe, you wouldn't thought it'd make that much difference but it really does. Most things you do with your hands requires fine motor skills and you can't do that with bulky fingers and no feeling. In practice they're just much more practical.

I bought these in particular because they're thinner than most fingerless gloves so you can do things like typing and using a mouse easier, and I wasn't disappointed. Excellent for the job.

Corsair CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9 4GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory Module
Corsair CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9 4GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory Module

5.0 out of 5 stars Not much to say really, it's memory and it works!, 29 Jan 2013
I prefer the heatsink, even if it's not necessary I know that in general the cooler a component is the faster and/or more reliable it'sll be. Be careful if you haven't got enough room inside your computer case because the heatsink does mean it's bigger than normal. Other than that all good!

Metal speaker grill, 30 cm (12")
Metal speaker grill, 30 cm (12")
Offered by ARMCO

5.0 out of 5 stars As expected, 16 May 2012
Bought for basic sub protection in the boot of the car, does the job well.

They're not hard as nails if you want seriously heavy duty ones to protect from all sorts of abuse I'd expect to pay a lot more. I wouldn't say they are weak either. Lightweight simple cover which means you're unlikely to accidentally pierce your cone by something falling on it while going round a bend, or if carrying it from the car etc. Anything particularly heavy or dangerous shouldn't be near them anyway really.

MCSE Planning, Implementing & Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Active Directory Infrastructure Training Kit: Planning, Implementing, and Maintaining ... Training Kit (MCSE self-paced training kit)
by Microsoft Press

3.0 out of 5 stars Good training material, far too long winded, 13 Jan 2008
This book is reasonably good, it contains a lot of information, is very acurate, and contains all the info you'd need for the exam, as well as being beneficial for the real world.

The downside is it's far too long winded, I feel it's been padded just to make it look bigger and make people feel they're getting their moneysworth. The whole thing I estimate could be cut down to two thirds of the size, maybe half or less.

While you may think better more than less, not in this case. It's not whole chapters you can skip, it's the reems of text thrown in amongst the important stuff. It makes for difficult reading because it's easy to switch off sifting through the unnecessary padding, making it hard to dicipher the information that you need to know and remember.

For example the phrase "Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Active Directory Users And Computers." must appear hundreds of times throughout the lessons, when it could simply be summarised "In AD Users and Computers...". The incomprehensibly few technicians that don't know how to navigate to AD Users & Computers could look it up in the glossary. This style drags simple one-sentence expanations into 7 step procedures (often bigger), and over the course of the book adds a lot of baggage. Also EACH chapter starts with TWO PAGES waffling on about the objectives of the chapter and other relatively useless information such as a large paragraph explaining "Why this chapter matters" - if I didn't think it mattered I wouldn't be reading it!

I don't want to slate this book too much because it conveys a lot of useful information in an understandeable way, and in many places is well structured and well written. I just wish it had been written more consise and to the point, allowing the studier to extract the useful information easier and over a shorter space of time.