Profile for Dunkel > Reviews

Dunkel (N.Ireland)

Swanson Burdock Root 460mg, 100 Capsules
Swanson Burdock Root 460mg, 100 Capsules
Offered by healthmonthly-uk

4.0 out of 5 stars Best price I've seen for a product I wouldn't be without, 23 Aug. 2014
I was recommended these because of pre-menopausal acne, a big shock as I never had spots as a teenager - I take them along with sage tablets (also from Amazon) and the combination does seem to balance skin/hormones. I still get a few isolated breakouts, but they don't bring along their friends and family, as formerly! I'd also like to mention the great price, I was buying the same product at another online healthfood store for double the price and only looked them up on Amazon when I was re-stocking the sage.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 24, 2016 12:57 PM BST

A Verse to Murder
A Verse to Murder

5.0 out of 5 stars Original and entertaining, 3 Oct. 2012
This review is from: A Verse to Murder (Kindle Edition)
Vibrant, fast-paced and blackly comic, 'A Verse to Murder' introduces us to Barry Crowe, a hapless tabloid hack who, when investigating a scandal concerning a prominent poet, gets unwillingly (and unwittingly) dragged into the seedy underbelly of Belfast's literary scene. Like a modern-day Hitchcockian Everyman, Barry gets swept along by events which he can neither understand nor control.

Credit should be given to the author for successfully using Belfast as a backdrop without falling into the 'Norn Iron' cliche trap - the location adds atmosphere but doesn't overwhelm the plot or the characters.

Overall, a thoroughly original, enjoyable read, with memorable characters and a mordant wit - highly recommended.

The Seven Per Cent Solution [1976] [DVD]
The Seven Per Cent Solution [1976] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Nicol Williamson

3.0 out of 5 stars A 'Trip' With Sherlock, 4 Aug. 2012
I've just finished watching this and actually said out loud, to the DVD player, 'That was nuts!' I do like a Sherlock Holmes reboot but totally agree with the first reviewer about the inconsistency in tone. In accent terms, Alan Arkin is about the only one who comes out of the regional soup with any dignity - Robert Duvall is playing a version of Watson who learnt English from a remote native tribe, who'd only ever seen it written down. Every time he forces out more than about three words from a mouth apparently full of turnip, he looks unjustifiably self-satisfied as if to say, 'job well done'. I thought Nicol Williamson would be inspired casting but couldn't get past the curious hair and the uncanny resemblance to Richard E. Grant.

Having said that, watching the film is an experience like no other - if you can't afford to get drunk, this has pretty much the same effect, helped partly by Sherlock's 'cold turkey' delusions (where else would you see the Hound of the Baskervilles in a wardrobe?) but also by the 'real' events of the film, duel by tennis, Lipizaner assassins, steam train chase, etc. Nice touch about the similarities between Freud and Holmes, and an incredible cast, but this reviewer is left bemused. In a - kind of - good way...

Vitabiotics Perfectil Plus Dual Pack - 56 Tablets
Vitabiotics Perfectil Plus Dual Pack - 56 Tablets

4.0 out of 5 stars Like Miracle-Gro for the nails!, 16 April 2010
I started taking this as I'm prone to eczema, especially stress-related, and had just had a flare-up. I can't say I've noticed a huge difference on my skin, but my nails have suddenly sprouted (in 3 weeks!)and I've actually had to cut them which may not sound like a breakthrough but it's the first time I've ever had to do so, they normally split and peel at less than a millimetre long. And I'm 43, so I'd given up on them. My hair has also had a growth spurt, so maybe it's just taking a bit longer for my skin. But for anyone who wants to grow their nails in a hurry, eg for a wedding or a holiday, I'd say it's worth a try.