Profile for Mr B > Reviews

Les Misérables [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Hugh Jackman
Offered by Discs4all

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly good, 19 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Les Misérables [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
I've never seen the stage show and having read certain reviews about the singing of certain cast members (Russell Crowe in particular) I wondered what to expect. Well, was I surprised! The singing by ALL the cast was superb and the whole spectacle had me hooked from the opening scene. No stage version of course can bring the sheer spectacle that the big screen can and this film has no shortage of awesome scenes.
Anne Hathaway's singing of "I dreamed a dream" is amazing and she brings so much emotion to it and I freely admit to shedding a tear. If you've not seen it I won't spoil the plot but the scenes at the end where Jean Valjean dies will hit you hard. I'm going to see it again!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 10, 2013 9:09 PM GMT

When We Were Very Young
When We Were Very Young

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic from the archives, 17 May 2012
This review is from: When We Were Very Young (Audio CD)
For a period in the early 1980's, two key members of Fairport Convention worked the folk clubs here in the UK and abroad. The intimacy of these gigs comes across very well on these recordings with light-hearted banter between Simon and Swarb. I only wish I had been in the audience but at that time I was more into the heavy rock scene. The sound quality is questionable in places but to this reviewer at least this doesn't detract from the performances and the sheer enjoyment value of these recordings more than makes up for this. Highlights are the beautiful cover of Stuart Marson's "Close to the wind" (worth the money for this alone!), the hysterical (if rather non-PC) "She is woman" and "Lord Haddo's favourite/Lady Mary". Fairport favourites are included with a delightful rendition of "End of the holiday".

Paul Atterbury's Lost Railway Journeys: Rediscover Britain's Forgotten Railway Routes
by Paul Atterbury

2.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware, 17 Feb. 2012
As mentioned by previous buyers ALL the material in this book is present in Paul's other works by the same publisher. It's just a shame this is not made made clear before buying except for a note in tiny writing on the copyright page in the preview! The fact though that even judged as a stand-alone work this volume repeats numerous illustrations within itself! As an example; Pages 76 and 77 have nice large colour views of Adderbury and Ryeford (Not "Ryecroft" as captioned) yet these same views are repeated again on pages 98 and 81) This is not an isolated example as the same goes on throughout the book where pictures are used on section heading pages. I rather like Paul's other books with their eclectic mix of pictures, tickets and posters which have a kind of "scrapbook" feel and am in no way knocking his work but the publisher has done him a huge disservice in the way this one has been thrown together. In short, one for the bargain book shops and leaving me feeling somewhat misled.

Her Sacred Status My Militant Needs
Her Sacred Status My Militant Needs
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece, 11 Oct. 2011
Having been a lover of singer/songwriter material for many years I have only recently become aware of Richard McGraw. I now know how much I've been missing out, this album came out in 2001, just why has it not been more successful? The lyrics simply tear at the soul with their honesty. If you've not heard it yet think of Leonard Cohen at his finest with the emotion of Bob Dylan's "Blood on the tracks". It demands attentive listening and is sheer poetry. When my copy arrived I played it straight through 3 times in succession and it is still in my CD player after a week. Top tracks for me would be "The currency of labor & demand" and "Her sacred status". Download those and you'll either be downloading them all or better still, ordering the cd. I can't rate this cd highly enough.

The Lost Prince [DVD] [2003]
The Lost Prince [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Daniel Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, haunting and moving drama, 20 Jan. 2004
This review is from: The Lost Prince [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
I defy anyone who professes to have any kind of soul not to have a tear or two whelling up in the final scenes of this stunning drama. Even if you're not normally a fan of preiod costume dramas you simply have to try this one. A superb piece of work from Stephen Poliakoff with a haunting soundtrack from Adrian Johnston - simply buy it!