Profile for thelethaldose > Reviews

Content by thelethaldose

"thelethaldose"

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Book 5)
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Book 5)
by J.K. Rowling
Price: 16.31

5.0 out of 5 stars An Honest Review, 25 Jun 2003
Having long since been the fan of Harry Potter, and truly being entranced in the world that he lives in, no matter how unoriginal it is reported to be, I was naturally shaking when I was at my local Tesco's at 12.01am and the book I had been waiting for, for a year and a half, was finally placed in my hands. I, of course, ordered the book from amazon as well, to make double sure I would get it on the day of release.
The first thing I noticed was that the book was heavy, the print was smaller, but there were more pages.
I had planned to read the book with a short sleeping break about half way through. I, however, could not put the book down and read the whole thing in a 12 hour stint.
I was worried that Order of the Phoenix might be a dissapointment, as towards the end of the last book, Goblet of Fire, Rowling's style seemed rushed and uncaring, so naturally, I did not want this to continue into the next adventure. I was therefore delighted when, upon reading, I noticed that the whole of the book was perfectly written, with obvious care and attention being made to every word.
The book starts with Harry, being cut off from the magical community (with NO word from them), living with the terrible Dursley's. I was predicting the usual slow start to the book, but was suprised when, in the first chapter, the action kicks off.
After this, Harry is shortly away from the Dursley's and living with the Order of the Phoenix (an anti Lord Voldemort alliance). For more information, Lord Voldemort is Harry's nemisis and has wanted him dead since Harry ruined his powers when he was only a year old. Don't worry, we find out the reason that Voldemort wanted to kill him, which is one of the biggest questions since Philospher's Stone (the first book).
We are shortly introduced to a host of new characters, and some old characters, all of which are written in more detail, so we truly understand their character.
The plot starts from here, with Harry being further isolated, much to his frustration, causing him to be extremely angry and bite people's heads off constantly.
After some more action and a visit to the Ministry of Magic (who still refuse to believe that Lord Voldemort has returned) Harry is back at his haven Hogwarts, under the watchfull eye of Albus Dumbledore (or is he???) the "God" like figure and leader of the Order of the Phoenix.
Harry soon experiences new emotions, and soon gets his first kiss, which, is written perfectly.
With Harry and his friends going through so many changes, you could be forgiven for thinking that Rowling would include too much or too little detail about Harry. She seems, however to have everything just right.
This book is very dark, and genuinly scared me in places, and I don't scare easily. It is also extremely funny in places, with Fred and George excelling themselves and even the teacher's (who aren't the horrible Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher) prove their loyalty to Dumbledore in the most amusing ways.
The book, as with every book in the series, leads upto a final battle between the Order of the Phoenix and Dumbledore's Army and the Death Eaters (supporters of Voldemort). There is a death on the side of the Order of the Phoenix, which is horrible, and reduced me to tears (and I am 16 and male!!).
The climax of the book is the battle between Dumbledore and Voldemort, which, represents the duelling styles of both wizards, and we truly do find out why Dumbledore was the only person Voldemort ever feared.
You can tell from the start of this book, that it is leading upto something big, and it does. The secret of Harry's woeful life is revealed, and he finds out a secret that will shock him forever, which is to be the plot of the final two books.
Overall, this book, although slightly slow in places, is intricatly crafted, and has so much action you will be wondering where the time has gone once you have finished reading it.
The book, in my opinion, is the best book I have read, and certainly puts critics in their place.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4)
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4)
by J.K. Rowling
Price: 8.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 20 Mar 2003
Let's get this straight:
*I am male
*I am 16
*My favourite band is Rage Against the Machine
*I like metal music
Sound like a profile for someone who wouldn't like Harry Potter?
Wrong!
The series are the best 4 books I have read, Goblet of Fire being the best!
The best peice of literature (in my opinion) and a true example of the wide audience that this book appeals to.

Evil Empire
Evil Empire
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 4.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Very under-rated, 9 Mar 2003
This review is from: Evil Empire (Audio CD)
Although not as good as the self titled... this is still amazing music. Despite what has been said, it is no less "rage" than their self titled. The lyrics are still just as powerful, if slightly more clever. The criticism, is that the mixing makes Zack's voice not as clear or sharp as in the self titled.
I do really love this album.
Throughout the tracks it is noticable that a lot of emphasis is put on the bass, a definate plus. However there are less cutting guitar riffs.
The best track has to be "Bulls On Parade" tied with "Revolver". They both have attitude and perfect instrument riffs, filled with unmistakable Rage energy and passion.
All of the tracks on the album are great, and there is no actual "bad track."
This is still RATM, pure as they ever were.
Stunning!

Rage Against The Machine
Rage Against The Machine
Offered by b68solutions
Price: 4.39

5.0 out of 5 stars The best album I own, 21 Jan 2003
The main thing about this album is energy. No matter what track you are listening to, there is always energy, and an explosion of energy at that.
You might think with a name like "Rage Against the Machine" the band would be some childish punk-metal band who can only play a few simple riffs. If you think this, you could not be more wrong. This album invents rap-rock.
The combination of stunning guitar riffs, funky bass lines and cool drum beats is enough, then Zack's vocals tear it apart. The most noticable skill here is the Guitar skills of Tom Morrello as he mutates his guitar to produce a whole range of effects.
Ok so here is a quick break down of the tracks-
BOMBTRACK- The suspense starts when the base line kicks in. From here on it is an explosion of anger and awesome music - 10/10
KILLING IN THE NAME- This track is all about suspense. The track starts off with relatively soothing beats and music, coupled with quiet vocals. But before you know it you find yourself listening to some of the best riffs ever - 9/10
TAKE THE POWER BACK- This is the best song on the album. It is literally the PERFECT blend of rap and rock. The baseline is also amazingly simple and amazingly catchy. - 10/10
SETTLE FOR NOTHING- The weakest track on the album. It is similar in structure to Killing In The Name. Still amazing though - 9/10
BULLET IN THE HEAD- Amazing bass and vocals make this unmissable. Pure energy - 10/10
KNOW YOUR ENEMY- This has to have one of my top 3 best guitar riffs in. The rapping in this coupled with guest vocals of tools make for a mosh-pit special - 10/10
WAKE UP- The theme from the matrix. Quiet most of the way through, which is good. Catchy riffs - 9/10
FISTFULL OF STEEL- I really like this song but something is missing. I can't put my finger on it though. The vocals in this are very impressive as is the base - 9/10
TOWNSHIP REBELLION- I didn't think I liked this as much as the others until I realised that I knew all the words and kept flicking to it subconsciously - 9/10
FREEDOM- The album ends on an amazing note. As I said energy, pure energy - 10/10
95/100