Profile for Mr. N. Parkes > Reviews

Superpig: Gentleman's Guide to Everyday Survival
Superpig: Gentleman's Guide to Everyday Survival
by William Rushton

5.0 out of 5 stars A seminal and authoritative guide, 9 Dec 2013
I first bought this book as a schoolboy over 30 years ago thinking it 'might be useful'. It certainly was, taught me how to iron my own shirts and gave us the phrase 'avez vous blow jobs'. Priceless!

The Royal Air Force "At Home": The History of RAF Air Displays from 1920
The Royal Air Force "At Home": The History of RAF Air Displays from 1920
by Ian Smith Watson

3.0 out of 5 stars Glad I didn't pay full price for it!, 3 Dec 2013
A very personal journey. Seems like more than half the book is appendices, lists of participating aircraft etc - a plane spotters delight...

Tough Toy 6.5in Rubber Ring
Tough Toy 6.5in Rubber Ring
Offered by EuroBuyer

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what they used to be, 8 Mar 2013
Quality has nosedived in the last six months - they used to last my 11 year old Terrier a year or two. Now they last a week or two. Get it sorted!

Omelette Pan 20cm (8") diameter.
Omelette Pan 20cm (8") diameter.
Offered by Nextday Catering Equipment Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 17 Jan 2013
This pan is now one of the most used bits of kit in my kitchen! The base isn't exactly flat but who cares - it makes omelettes more interesting. You can't go wrong with it.

Paranormal Bath
Paranormal Bath
by Malcolm Cadey

1.0 out of 5 stars One for the recycling bin, 17 Jan 2013
This review is from: Paranormal Bath (Paperback)
Was given this book for Christmas (I'd rather have had socks).
The very first story I read concerned a play: 'Mr Bernhard is unwell' - the play was actually called 'Jeffrey Bernard is unwell' based on the long running Spectator column of the same name, I saw the matinee - in spite of the aroma of cough sweets, this was going to be a hit. Either the author doesn't know his stuff or doesn't care - I don't, it went in the bin.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 8, 2013 11:11 AM GMT

Sealskinz Specialist Fingerless Cycle Glove (Black-Medium).
Sealskinz Specialist Fingerless Cycle Glove (Black-Medium).
Offered by Y Frame Discounts Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money! Idea - 10 Execution - 1, 15 July 2012
First the mesh triangle on the back came unstuck, then the elastic finger loop broke the second time I touched it and finally; I noticed today that the palm material at the base of the thumbs is breaking up after only three weeks daily use! - I'm appalled.

It's a shame because they're beautifully designed and the padding is perfectly placed.

The Artist's Complete Guide to Drawing the Head
The Artist's Complete Guide to Drawing the Head
by William Maughan

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good stuff but will you remember it?, 20 Aug 2011
I wanted to learn from this book but Mr Maughan should remember 'never to use a long word when a short one will do' - I'm afraid a lot of the advice is impossible to recall. What I will remember is a little gem at the end that had me in stitches 'This portrait of Jesus Christ was done entirely from photo references and from my imagination'...

Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not that good for a whole new way of reading, 9 April 2011
All the pros are pretty much as advertised (as you'd expect!) and I'm getting over a month's use from one battery charge.

Couple of little cons tho' mostly to do with personalising it.

1. The amount and direction of pressure you need for the page turning 'button' on the side isn't consistent.
2. If you switch it on before picking it up, because of 1. above you can find you've accidentally moved several pages.
3. The passages 'underlined' by other readers is only mildly obtrusive but annoying - maybe there's a way to switch off this feature. I don't want it.
4. I'd rather select my own wallpaper for when it's switched off.
5. I think it could do with being a bit bulkier but that's personal preference and the build quality doesn't feel that good.

The Hurt Locker [DVD]
The Hurt Locker [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jeremy Renner
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Bigelow has done better - don't waste your time, 8 Feb 2010
This review is from: The Hurt Locker [DVD] (DVD)
I'd read all the hype surrounding this film and having admired Bigelow's 'Point Break' thought I'd better check it out to see if it wins an Oscar - I hope it doesn't.

I couldn't connect with any of the characters to care whether they got blown up. The scene with the SAS patrol in the desert is laughable when you think about it afterwards, who's likely to have been better trained for that situation? The rest of the film is just an empty vehicle.

The one scene that did make me think is when the main character is faced with a wall of breakfast cereals in the supermarket back home and is forced to choose one, as he says to his baby son afterwards 'the amount of things you really care about decreases as you get older' but you still have to make the choices - if they'd developed that theme more this could have been a good film.

As it was I was looking at my watch halfway through.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 12, 2010 9:01 PM GMT

Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse
Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse

3.0 out of 5 stars Save your money, 24 April 2009
Had this mouse for about two weeks and can honestly say it's no better than a conventional mouse.

Sometimes drops the signal while navigating a webpage for no reason, requiring a re-boot.

The buttons are confusing - even after two weeks daily use

Can never remember to switch it off by sliding that tacky plastic hatch underneath it (I mean come on!) Fortunately it sits still on my desk when not in use so the batteries are still ok.

The advantage of being wireless just doesn't add up to these disadvantages.

Page: 1 | 2