Profile for Deebhoy > Reviews

Deebhoy (Ireland)

Fishman Loudbox Mini
Fishman Loudbox Mini

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Notch Fishman Quality, 19 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Fishman Loudbox Mini (Electronics)
Have had this amp for a while now but delayed a review until I had it a while. The sound is absolutely fantastic - warm and beautiful - and the build quality is top notch. Don't think anybody who plays the acoustic would be disappointed with this little amp.

The Beatles - All These Years: Volume One: Tune In
The Beatles - All These Years: Volume One: Tune In
by Mark Lewisohn

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly Researched & Essential Reading for Fab Fans, 25 Mar. 2014
It does get to the point when even I as a diehard fab four fan get sick of them. Yet I keep going back. Because the story is amazing and because of that there is so much inaccuracy that has been written. However, when I read Mark Lawisohn was writing "the" book about The Beatles I was hooked from the start. Lewisohn is deeply respected among the fab four fans and would be considered "the" guy to get it "right".

And in this first volume he hits the nail on the head. This book goes up to December 31st 1962. Love Me Do has been around the charts for a few months but it is clear at this stage (just as they finished Hamburg for the last time) they were on the threshold. The book is massive coming in at 840 pages with a further 72 of references yet its written in a way where you just keep turning the pages. What Lewisohn gets right is that nothing was around like The Beatles in the early 60's and that they wrote their own songs was another thing that set them aside. Indeed for a band like them the music industry was a desert. It is also clear that without Brian Epstein (in particular) and George Martin it never would have happened - they both gave them the focus and descipline they lacked but most of all they gave them the luck other bands rarely get. Little point in explaining anything else about the book other than I really don't think you will read anything as close to the true story as it is written here. And for those who continue to say they don't get The Beatles this book may go some way to explain - if you have the patience to take a couple of weeks out of your life which if you don't get it the first time I doubt you will. I may be waiting up to 5 years for the follow up but I will most definetly be buy it.

This book is impeccably researched and gets a 5 star thumbs up.

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
by Max Brooks

4.0 out of 5 stars A very enjoyable novel, 5 July 2013
If found this to be a technically brilliant book but I couldn't help thinking that something was missing? It's really a lot of short stories around a zombie invasion. Our nameless narrator interviews people across the globe about the 10 year war against the living dead. As stated it's technically superb - very well thought out but the lack of a central character I found to be a problem and I suppose the ending was always going to be difficult. A really enjoyable read but I wouldn't say it's a classic. The zombie theme shouldn't put you off as it throws up a lot off issues about humanity and governments etc and if you are thinking of getting it after seeing the movie then be warned the book is completely different in every way and in a good way.

Killing Floor: (Jack Reacher 1)
Killing Floor: (Jack Reacher 1)
by Lee Child

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Book - Perfect for Holiday Escapism, 5 July 2013
One of the many recommendations some friends gave me when I asked what book I should read, I thought I'd give it a go and read it on my hols. I now understand completely how these type of books sell in their millions. Short chapters, interesting characters, and story that moves quickly, a troubled central character, sex and a high bodycount etc. Before I knew it I'd whizzed through 200 pages of the 525 which given how slow I am reading was a minor miracle in a day (I tend to stop at every word I don't know and grab the dictionary - didn't do it too often admittedly on this one).

So this is the first of some 16 novels introducing Jack Reacher. He wasn't exactly the type of "hero" I was expecting then again I'm not really sure what I as expecting. My problem lies with one massive coincidence (if you've read it you'll know what it is) and a few others. However, putting these aside the story is tight, moves quickly and it's a most enjoyable read. I left my brain at home and settled on some escapism for my holiday read - nothing wrong with that at all we need it sometimes.

I don't know if there is enough here to make me want to run out and buy another Jack Reacher novel - I've got about 20 books to read from all genres. But I think if I am a short of reading and want to read something not too taxing on the brain then I may well get the second book and over time work my way through the Reacher series. A hell of a lot better than James Patterson that is for sure. My score of three stars may be a little harsh but I do mark harshly and this was an enjoyable read - thanks to those who recommended it.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best of 2012, 24 Feb. 2013
Have to agree with the previous review. This is a cracking album and for me one of the best in 2012. Arrangements and instrumentation are top notch and their voices are brilliant and quite often beautiful. A seriously overlooked album from talented group.

Revolution In The Head: The Beatles Records and the Sixties
Revolution In The Head: The Beatles Records and the Sixties
by Ian MacDonald

4.0 out of 5 stars Say Goodbye To Four Hours, 2 July 2011
If you are a music fan then surely at some stage you will read a book about The Beatles. MacDonald's book is a superb analysis of the fab four. What I personally like about it is that you actually don't need to be a Fab Four fan to read it. A lot of the songs you will already know - they need no introduction - but MacDonalds opinions on individuals Beatles songs is fascinating as well as his overall breakdown of the songs. The information on each song is also compulsive reading.

Where people disagree with him is in his individual analysis of each song. We have songs we love and songs we don't and songs that are just OK. This is where this book is really good - it's a drunken debate with the writer.

You will read his opinions which you completely disagree with (hence the 4*) - but I think that is the point of the book. Read it, make your own mind up and give your opinion.

Really sorry to hear how this man died because I would have loved to have had a conversation with him about this book. It remains a fascinating read of the greatest band of all time - but maybe I'm prejudiced - McDonald isn't and that is this books strength.

Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 700 V2 - Keyboard and Mouse
Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 700 V2 - Keyboard and Mouse

1.0 out of 5 stars Piece Of Junk, 16 May 2011
I used the keyboard and mouse with a new PC I ordered. After a month I began to have problems - everytime I switched on the PC I had to manually connect the mouse and then when typing I had to retype my sentences as the keyboard kept missing letters. Trundled on for another three months but the problems just got gradually worse and I followed all the comments on microsofts website different USB ports and new batteries etc. Then the other day the mouse stopped working completely while the connection for the keyboard became erratic. Again tried everything but no joy so I have forked out for a new mouse and keyboard today on a PC that isn't 5 months old.

Avoid if you can or if you are buying a new PC do your research on what type of keyboard you are getting.

Til the Wheels Fall Off
Til the Wheels Fall Off

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Known Classic, 31 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Til the Wheels Fall Off (Audio CD)
Really don't know how this album continues to be overlooked as it is superb. There isn't one duff track and with an album of 14 songs that's some going. The two best known songs are Don't Ever Change (simplicity itself and you'll have a tear in your eye) and Are We Ever Going To Have Sex Again (you'll have tears in your eyes from laughing) - but throughout the album its song after song that is excellent. Lyrically Amy is such an insightful songwriter and she is one of the best female lyricists I've come across. Whilst I think every song is a gem the real standout for me is the last song All The Way To Heaven - a truly wonderful piece of music. The production as well is top notch and the guitars and drums are crystal clear. Then there's Amy's voice - wonderful wonderful - so vulnerable. I know people post reviews on albums and give it 5 stars and say its a classic - this one really is believe me.

California Bloodline
California Bloodline

5.0 out of 5 stars It's just superb, 11 Nov. 2007
This review is from: California Bloodline (Audio CD)
Been loving this album for years now. The perfect travelling album. Superb songs, great lyrics, mostly recorded live in the studio with the best Nashville musicans around. There isn't a weak song - but particular favourites are Razorback Woman, Missouri Birds and July You're A Woman. Buy it.

The complete Phoenix concerts
The complete Phoenix concerts

5.0 out of 5 stars A Superb Live Album, 9 Nov. 2006
John Stewarts work remains appallingly overlooked but let me assure you he is a fantastic songwriter. California Bloodlines remains one of my favourite albums along with What's Going On, Exile On Main Street and The White Album.

This album is a good intro into John's earlier works from the mid 70's and before. Clearly he is very comfortable in front of an audience. His voice, so distinctive, is brilliant live and the songs are superb. This is a full band playing with him and they had limited time to rehearse but it sounds as if they've been playing together for years. Kansis, Roll Away The Stone, Last Campaign Trilogy are a few of the songs I'd never heard of before but now they are among my favourite Stewart tracks. There's five songs from Bloodlines and they are all superb live with July You're A Women particularly brilliant.

If you like live albums and want to hear a man at the top of his game - buy this album.