Profile for brian > Reviews

There Was a Crooked Man... [DVD]
There Was a Crooked Man... [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kirk Douglas

1.0 out of 5 stars What A Disappointing Dog!, 14 Aug 2014
I'm a fan of Westerns and have over 150 in my collection. I'd been waiting for years for this highly rated movie with Kirk Douglas and Henry Fonda to become a) available for purchase and b) within reason price wise. When it barely hit b), I jumped.

Wow! What a disappointment! Starting with Kirk Douglas's industrial red weird hair dye. It's trying to be funny and cute and just doesn't cut it and for me it was only annoying. Save your money unless you already saw it and know it works for you.

If you're looking for great Westerns don't miss Ride Lonesome (1959) & The Tall T (1957) from director Budd Boetticher, Some good ones you might not have heard of: Stranger on Horseback (1955/Joel McCrea), The Violent Men (1955/Glenn Ford), Valdez is Coming (1970/Burt Lancaster), Stalking Moon (1968/Gregory Peck). Brian Tlougan, author: A-list: The Best in Cinema & TV, 2nd edition (2014)

Home to Roost - The Complete Series 2
Home to Roost - The Complete Series 2
Offered by Helgy
Price: 79.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Lame 90's comedy; this is not Morse, 22 Jun 2014
I slowly but surely I became a late to the party John Thaw fan, especially as Inspector Morse. His 70's run as the lead in The Sweeney veers often enough into A-list material. But this...this is just a lame, laugh-free, 90's TV sitcom. Brian Tlougan, author A-list: The Best in Cinema & TV.

Southland  - Season 3-4 [DVD]
Southland - Season 3-4 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ben McKenzie
Price: 11.30

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5*, 19 Jun 2014
This review is from: Southland - Season 3-4 [DVD] (DVD)
This two season/series package doesn't really get airborne until about halfway through season/series 3. At that point it goes from watchable to high quality. One thing I noticed about Southland compared to other cop shows is that it's actually unpredictable. It's nice to realize that you don't have any idea what's going to happen. If you're in the market for cop shows I recommend The Shield (US), Justified (US), The Bridge series 1 (Denmark/Sweden). Damian Lewis is perfect in Life (US) and is accompanied by a blowout and also perfect female partner. British actors, including Lewis, are just so damned good with American acccents! I had no idea he was English until I looked him up on Wikipedia. Brian Tlougan, author, A-list: The Best in Cinema & TV

Monroe - Series 2 [DVD]
Monroe - Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ James Nesbitt
Price: 9.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Not As Good As the First Series, 19 Jun 2014
This review is from: Monroe - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I liked the first series of Monroe; 4*'s. The music in the second series I find particularly annoying. Chirpy, sunny, cute, inappropriate. It often destroyed the mood or was straining too hard to be up and cutesy. Normally musical accompaniment in film and TV is unobtrusive, occasionally it really adds, like the James Bond theme or that great theme used in the Danish series, The Killing. This time it's a deal killer. Clearly from all the 5* ratings many disagree. But here's a dissenting opinion. I also think the writing isn't as good in series 2. If I could I'd give it 2 1/2*. I certainly wouldn't buy it. My favorite comedic James Nesbitt is his piece in Canterbury Tales; he's perfect! As funny as he can be, it's difficult to find him in high quality comedy vehicles. Usually you just get a quick, underpowered glimpse. It's easier to see his dramatic talent.If anyone with some influence sees this, I'd love to see Nesbitt in some real, kick ass, 5* comedy. Preferably before he's eligible for his pension.

The Bridge: Series 2 [DVD]
The Bridge: Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sofia Helin
Price: 19.00

3.0 out of 5 stars The First One Was Better, 19 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Bridge: Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
To be precise, the first series of The Bridge was outstanding. On the second go, on one hand it's nice to see these characters again, on the other they've lost a bit of their novelty appeal. I have to confess, too, that the theme of "eco-terrorists" which is becoming a film sub-genre, irritates me. In the real world, I have never hear of serious eco-terrorists. It seems like a right-wing attempt to splash the left with red paint and create the impression with the public that it's real blood and actual fear might be appropriate. Similarly we could have feminist terrorists, gay terrorists, rights for the homeless terrorists, breastfeeding in public terrorists...Come on! There are real right wing nuts with guns even in peaceful Norway, not to mention mass shooters every week now in America and probably a fountain of Islamist terrorists soon to be joining us from the disasters in the Middle East. Plus brilliant warped and or aggrieved criminals whose fictional existence doesn't need to stretch credibility passed the point of annoyance.

The Hanging Gale [1995] [DVD]
The Hanging Gale [1995] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Joe McGann

4.0 out of 5 stars Michael Kitchen is the standout, 19 Jun 2014
If you like Michael Kitchen this one is worth watching. While it has many good elements, his performance is perfect, as usual. If not for his role it would tip over with it's black versus white righteous simplicity. However, Kitchen saves it.

Falling [DVD]
Falling [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Kitchen

4.0 out of 5 stars Kitchen!, 19 Jun 2014
This review is from: Falling [DVD] (DVD)
For Michael Kitchen fans as well as probably many other people looking for high quality British drama, this one pays off. Andrew Davies undoubtedly deserves credit for his adapted screenplay. Everybody is very good in this. I would probably even stretch my rating to 4 1/2 stars if that were technically possible.

Walk in the Sun [DVD]
Walk in the Sun [DVD]

1.0 out of 5 stars Virtually Unwatchable, 19 Jun 2014
This review is from: Walk in the Sun [DVD] (DVD)
This one reminded me of another one from the same year (1945), The Story of GI Joe. They were probably gritty, breakthroughs of realism 70 years ago, but now they just seem lame and unwatchable. If you're in the market for a really good WWII film made in the 40's, try Humphrey Bogart's little known Sahara. The Young Lions from 1961 with Marlon Brando is quite good and for a post-war piece Judgement At Nuremberg is excellent.

Westward The Women [DVD] [1951] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Westward The Women [DVD] [1951] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Robert Taylor
Offered by supermart_usa
Price: 8.93

2.0 out of 5 stars Less Than the Sum of Its Parts, 19 Jun 2014
I like Robert Taylor; one of the best Westerns ever made is Devil's Doorway (1950/Anthony Mann dir). I like cinematographer Russell Harlan. I like the concept of having lots of women in a film. And while I'm not a fan, it's impressive that Frank Capra wrote the story. The problem is that it's just mostly boring. Occasionally something a little bit interesting happens. But mostly I had difficulty staying awake. Two stars for the good bits but even that's being generous.

Franklin & Bash - Season 2 [DVD]
Franklin & Bash - Season 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Breckin Meyer
Price: 13.73

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad News: Series 2 Isn't Nearly As Funny, 19 Jun 2014
I got a lot of laughs out of the first series of Franklin & Bash. I'd been eagerly awaiting the availability of series 2. Sadly, 6 episodes in, it's just tolerable. The Indian nerd character is particularly annoying; I know this is the writing because the same actor is quite funny in Silicon Valley.Usually when a show is successful in it's first year they get money to hire more and better writing talent. I think in this case maybe this best writers got better jobs and it was up to the second stringers who just didn't hit the mark. Unless you're a relative or a close friend of one of the actors, save your money. Brian Tlougan, author of A-List: The Best in Cinema & TV (2nd edition/2014)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5