Profile for Keith Fisher > Reviews

Content by Keith Fisher

Keith Fisher "Strangefish" (UK & USA)

Sherlock Holmes: Complete Series [Blu-ray] [US Import]
Sherlock Holmes: Complete Series [Blu-ray] [US Import]
Dvd ~ David Burke

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, justice will be done., 25 Sep 2014
ITV3 here in the UK are showing the entire series daily at present and while I'm not receiving it in HD it is - nonetheless - superb, with exceptional detail and brilliant (widescreen) print quality: the colours are truly exceptional after having lived with dreadful murky reprints for decades. I don't know why it is not going to be available in the UK but that is par for the course with a lot of PBS stuff.

Selling England By The Pound
Selling England By The Pound

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 21 Mar 2014
No nonsense about content; if you are thinking of buying a Pure Audio version of an album that has been around for decades then you don't need to learn about content.
The sound quality is superb; not exemplary, because that would require a re-mix, but definitely the best hearing of this album possible.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 16, 2014 9:34 AM BST

Songs In The Key Of Life
Songs In The Key Of Life
Offered by beaches_music_canada

1.0 out of 5 stars dreadful, 21 Mar 2014
I do wish people would not indulge their desire to talk about the music on an album that has been out for decades; same goes for movies. We are knee-deep in info regarding content; what we don't get is enough information regarding the quality of the release; if we did I could have saved myself some money and disappointment.
The sound quality of this Pure Audio Blu-ray is truly abysmal; the vinyl sounds better; the MP3 sounds better. Apart from being a musician, I have been actively involved in hi-fi and audio all my life, so I know what good means; Pure Audio is supposed to be exemplary; this release of Songs in... is appalling, nothing short of…
I also bought Selling England... and it is superb, so you can't say it is subjective or dependent on the system (£20,000 worth) because it is not.
They have transferred from a vinyl EQ-d master; where do these people come from? Is it any wonder we don't have a record industry anymore?
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 22, 2014 9:35 PM BST

Siesta [1987] [Australian Import]
Siesta [1987] [Australian Import]

5.0 out of 5 stars A forgotten masterpiece, 16 July 2010
I watched this movie on first release in the cinema in Los Angeles. Attracted initially by the brilliant score that Miles Davis had produced, I was entranced from beginning to end: I was mystified, I was curious, I was enthralled. It is a masterful work. It requires complete absorption, but that is not difficult, providing you are not busy making-out at the same time. It requires a degree of perspicacity and an ounce of intelligence if you don't want to come away wondering what it was all about. The story is far from mundane: you will never have come across such an original mixture of scenarios. The complete illumination of the mystery comes at the end of the film, although don't be surprised if you don't get it at first... watch it again, it is worth it: it is a beautifully shot film and the acting is exemplary. There are scenes that will stay in your imagination for a long time afterwards - assuming you have an imagination, some reviewers do not. I still listen to the soundtrack on CD - it is that good - and it evokes the atmosphere of the movie like revisiting a half forgotten dream. Watch it.

Siesta - Limited Collector's Edition ("out of print) english audio
Siesta - Limited Collector's Edition ("out of print) english audio
Offered by dvd-uncut

5.0 out of 5 stars A forgotten masterpiece, 16 July 2010
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 13, 2012 10:17 PM BST

Siesta (1987)
Siesta (1987)
Dvd ~ Ellen Barkin
Offered by dvd_delights

5.0 out of 5 stars A forgotten masterpiece, 16 July 2010
This review is from: Siesta (1987) (DVD)
I watched this movie on first release in the cinema in Los Angeles. Initially attracted by the brilliant score that Miles Davis had produced, I was entranced from beginning to end: I was mystified, I was curious, I was enthralled. It is a masterful work. It requires complete absorption, but that is not difficult providing you are not busy making-out at the same time. It requires a degree of perspicacity and an ounce of intelligence if you don't want to come away wondering what it was all about. The story is far from mundane, you will never have come across such an original mixture of scenarios. The complete illumination of the mystery comes at the end of the film, although don't be surprised if you don't get it at first... watch it again, it is worth it: it is a beautifully shot film and the acting is exemplary. There are scenes that will stay in your imagination for a long time afterwards - assuming you have an imagination, some reviewers do not. I still listen to the soundtrack on CD - it is that good - and it evokes the atmosphere of the movie like revisiting a half forgotten dream. Buy it. Watch it.