Profile for James W. > Reviews

Content by James W.

James W.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically priced cctv camera used as a baby monitor, 22 Mar. 2014
I purchased this camera as an alternative to buying a branded video baby monitor and was not disappointed! This came in about a quarter of the price of some of the baby monitors and is a lot more useful as both myself and my partner can access the live stream from our mobile phones (1 android, 1 iphone) or laptops. The quality of image is more than adequate for our needs, we don't use the audio as we have a separate audio only baby monitor with better quality sound, however it would be ok to use if we needed to.
Setup was straightforward, the instructions in the documentation were clear and there is decent scope for you to tweak more detailed settings if required. To access the camera using phones you need to get hold of an app from the apple appstore or googleplay - this however is easy, free and the app is simple to use (and allows you to change settings and control the camera): no problems with either of us and the apps.
One great feature is that it automatically changes from regular video to infrared as light levels drop. You can also setup preset video positions if you need to monitor different areas and want to flip between them easily (good in a room with two cots).
It is also possible to setup alerts when the camera detects movement and it will email you still shots when movement is detected - I initially used this as an additional alarm (as well as the separate audio of the baby monitor) to alert me to baby moving, however it did seem to be a bit sensitive as I received alerts when there was nobody in the room (I put this down to shadows moving and changing light at that point of the day) and therefore deactivated this feature. One word of warning: if you do setup the email alert on movement remember to wear clothes if you walk in front of it to deal with crying baby in the night, otherwise you get a nice emailed picture of you naked in nightvision!
In summary a great product delivered promptly that lets us keep an eye on baby without disturbing him and without being ripped off for buying a product marketed for babies.
Pros: Cheap, effective, adaptable (not tied to a video unit or operating system), can control the camera remotely, can get email alerts if it detects movement), can add extra units in future if needed.
Cons: No packaged ethernet cable (essential for initial setup to get the wifi working), needs to be setup near a power point (therefore some people might need extension cables to power it), no zoom function (as far as I can tell), audio is not as good as a proper baby monitor but is ok, quality of video dependent on wifi speed at home.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 17, 2015 11:31 AM BST