Profile for Jeavons88 > Reviews

Content by Jeavons88

Jeavons88

The Darwin Elevator (The Dire Earth Cycle Book 1)
The Darwin Elevator (The Dire Earth Cycle Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Story OK but 'nul points' for the publisher, 17 May 2014
Leaving aside the poor science, which doesn’t overly bother me (it’s a story!), this is a competently told tale of the near future, with a fascinating premise – what happens when aliens turn up and build a space elevator? Who are they? Why did they do it? Unfortunately (for my taste, anyway), it turns out to be more of a post-apocalyptic running, jumping and shooting adventure, rather than a First Contact “what if...?”. But that’s fine – just not my preference. Three stars for the story and writing.

But here’s my gripe (slight plot-spoiler) – only inside the book do the publishers say this is just the first of a series. The author sets out so many enticing possibilities, so many interesting questions... But four hundred pages in and so many big questions remain unanswered that you just know they’re not all going to be wrapped up in the last seventy-five pages. OK, it’ll teach me not to buy something on the basis of the cover but it’s intensely irritating to invest time and effort in reading nearly five hundred pages and get no answers. “Pay us more money to find out what happens next!” I don’t think so. Zero stars for Titan Books. (Incidentally, I see Amazon now labels it “Dire Earth Cycle 1” – brownie points to them, at least.)

Makita UC3520A 240V 35cm Electric Chainsaw
Makita UC3520A 240V 35cm Electric Chainsaw

3.0 out of 5 stars Did you know about the plug...?, 25 Jun. 2013
How does this work, then? I get an email request for a review which has a warning that my newly purchased chainsaw has a Japanese plug that isn't suitable for use in Europe. It didn't say that on the Amazon page before I bought it. It still doesn't - I clicked on this link and checked.

Good job I went to Japan on holiday recently and still have the right adaptor. If I hadn't, I'd be sending this back.

It works fine with the adaptor, by the way - at least, I haven't blown myself up yet.

Merriweather Post Pavilion
Merriweather Post Pavilion

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a review, as such..., 14 April 2009
...but, if anyone's interested, the Merriweather Post Pavilion is an open-air music venue in Columbia, Maryland, USA.