Profile for Andy B > Reviews

Andy B

Apollo Precision Tools 39 Piece Pink Household Tool Kit
Apollo Precision Tools 39 Piece Pink Household Tool Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect antidote to an empty tool box., 4 Jan 2014
A perfect present for any woman!

No more raiding my tools and not putting them back, or asking for a tape measure every 5 minutes and never seeing it again (I must have bought 10 in the last year...I think she eats them!).

It also has the added benefit of being "her" colour; so now, when I find whichever is the latest tool to go missing, I know it is not hers because it is not pink!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 5, 2014 7:25 PM GMT

John Carter [DVD]
John Carter [DVD]
Dvd ~ Taylor Kitsch
Price: 3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget the reviews, 9 Nov 2013
This review is from: John Carter [DVD] (DVD)
I saw the trailer and thought that it would be worth a look once the price came down. I loved it! I then tried to find out why it had got such bad reviews and all I could find were stupid people complaining that they were confused. The only thing that was not made clear in the film that I had to find in the books was the difference between Tharks and Warhoons. OK, it does not follow the books accurately in that JC cannot jump so far, and many of the situations are amalgams of different ones throughout his time on Mars but, all in all, a rollicking good story. May the confused be confounded!

John Carter's Chronicles of Mars
John Carter's Chronicles of Mars
Price: 0.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Far ahead of its time, 9 Nov 2013
I have no just started the 4th book and have not found a convenient stopping place yet. This collection is ideal in that these books can be read straight through; each one finishes on a cliffhanger! I have not read ERB before and am surprised at the sophistication of his alien landscapes and characters considering that they were written in the infancy of manned flight and the internal combustion engine. To be honest it was the film that drew me to the books and the film does not do justice! I loved the film but the books have blown me away.

Sloightly on Th' Huh!
Sloightly on Th' Huh!
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This title is not accurate, the book is spot on!, 20 Jun 2013
This review is from: Sloightly on Th' Huh! (Paperback)
Fantastic reminiscences of a bygone age when Suffolk was an agricultural industrial heartland, not a playground for the rich and stupid townies with more money than sense...let's not go there!
Charlie Haylock has caught the culture perfectly in the written word (not an easy thing to do) though I am not sure that it should be advertised to the foreigners, they understand what is going on around them now! Each book gives a cultural and historic background as well as lavish doses of humour.

Sloightly on the Sosh!: An Eccentric Look at Suffolk
Sloightly on the Sosh!: An Eccentric Look at Suffolk
Price: 7.07

You might guess that I am from Suffolk, born and bred EAST Suffolk! I don't sing when I talk! It was interesting to discover the origins of some of the words that I use.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 18, 2013 4:12 PM GMT

Caw'd A Hell - Thas Suffen Good! (Local Dialect)
Caw'd A Hell - Thas Suffen Good! (Local Dialect)
Price: 7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars The title says it all!, 20 Jun 2013
You might guess that I am from Suffolk, born and bred EAST Suffolk! I don't sing when I talk! It was very interesting to discover the origins of many of the words that I use regularly, though I think that some are open to conjecture.

A Rum Owd Dew! (Local Dialect)
A Rum Owd Dew! (Local Dialect)
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Oi cood a hell, 20 Jun 2013
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 27, 2014 4:17 PM GMT

Garden Railways from the Ground Up
Garden Railways from the Ground Up
by David Pratt

5.0 out of 5 stars A helping hand., 20 Jun 2013
I am beginning to plan and build a garden railway and this book gives many ideas and points out many pitfalls in creating your own. Very useful and helpful.

Larn Yarself Silly Suffolk: Comprehensive Guide to the Suffolk Dialect (Nostalgia Pocket Companion)
by David Woodward

4.0 out of 5 stars Not really for adults, 20 Jun 2013
I am a proper Suffolk boy, born and bred, but East Suffolk, and now live on the right side of the northern border. I bought this book for a bit of fun but was disappointed at the format; it is like a child's activity book. It was fun reading when I ignored the format and skipped half the pages.

Cambridge Sciences StarPAD 2, 7.0 inch Dual Core Tablet. With Android 4.4.2 and built-in Bluetooth
Price: 49.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nextbook Premium Tablet PC, 28 Aug 2012
Nextbook Premium 7SE 4GB Capacitive touchscreen Android tablet PC. Android 4.0.3. Compact, Hi Res & WiFi. Fantastic quality!

As an 'older' person I was curious about the next step in computing. My wife has a Kindle but I wanted something that could do more than just show books to read. The Nextbook is priced that I would not lose out too much if it is not what I wanted. I have to admit that I was a bit stumped at how to make it 'go' as the handbook expects the user to be aware of how to use a tablet, but I finally started to figure it out. I was surprised at the picture quality, it is excellent! The keypad window for inputting data needed a bit of dexterity to master because I have huge hands and fingers but it is fine now. I still have to master the 'app' thing but I managed to update the Office programme so that runs. The tablet has 25 ebooks already loaded and has a nice selection of 18th and 19th century books which appeal to me. I am still trying to make the ebook app work as I would like the Kindle app as my wife has hundreds of books on hers. The internet is very fast over the wifi.I don't do Facebook and all that stuff, but I can view the forums that I do belong to, as well as surfing in general. All in all I am very impressed...and so is my wife; she keeps wanting to play with it!