Profile for Michael B > Reviews

Content by Michael B

Michael B

Withnail and I (Bloomsbury Film Classics)
Withnail and I (Bloomsbury Film Classics)
by Bruce Robinson

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply a must, 2 April 2013
For any serious Withnail and I fan this book is simply a must! I can't recommend this highly enough, this really is a true gem and includes additional scenes which didn't make it to the final cut.

FATED . . . but I never wanted to be a teacher
FATED . . . but I never wanted to be a teacher

3.0 out of 5 stars Teachers are human too, 2 April 2013
An interesting account of a young teacher in 70's / 80's North East England. Having schooled under James I was inevitably curious to learn more about his account of life back then. It makes an interesting read which perhaps from a pupils perspective could be be better titled "teachers are humans too" as at times this proves to be a very insightful account, especially for an ex pupil. My only criticism is the flow and construction of the text, but as James states he's not trying to write Shakespeare. That said, it's an easy read and once I'd dipped into it simply had to read from cover to cover. Go James, look forward to the next!

My Life with the Taliban
My Life with the Taliban
by Mullah Abdul Salam Zaeef

3.0 out of 5 stars A different angle, 13 Aug 2012
After recently reading Peter Bergen's Manhunt, my curiosity was piqued to understand something more of those people who are constantly presented to us as the 'enemy'. By some accounts I would imagine this book will prove quite a challenging read for most westerners, presenting a different angle on the war in Afgan which we simply don't hear about. On the other hand by the end of the book I'd had enough of the over-emotive fundamental ranting, constant references to god and, what at times seemed like out right hypocrisy. Obviously the conflict in Afgan is a vastly complicated issue - as this book wonderfully presents - however, contrary to the claims and pious accusations of Mr. Zaeef, just couldn't help but think it could have been avoided if the Taliban leadership had took a difference position on the Osama issue. To which you will find very little in this book it must also be said.