Profile for Benbow Hawkins > Reviews

Narrow Boat & Narrow Boat Afloat - The Complete Collection [DVD]
Offered by rileys dvds
Price: 16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Narrow Boat Dover, 6 July 2013
This is an excellent series of 20 programmes each lasting just over 22 minutes. Master Craftsman Alan Herd fully restores a 1930s steel Narrow Boat to a state of the art 21st Century One, whilst still keeping the original 1930s exterior appearance. So 'Narrow Boat' is the restoration series and 'Afloat' is taking Narrow Boat 'Dover' on a very pleasant cruise along the 'Grand Union Canal' from Birmingham to London where we meet up with lots of very interesting people, along with lots of historical interest and some Very Good archive footage (some in colour).

Please be aware as I had a problem with my set, I had to return it because the picture broke up on Disc One of 'Narrow Boat' it pixelated towards the end of episode One. So I purchased another from a different online retailer and the same thing happened. There is no problem with my DVD player as the disc was checked on my PC and Blu-ray player and also playback on my DVD Recorder. (there must be a faulty batch going around)
So what I did was purchase the programmes seperately 'Narrow Boat' and 'Narrow Boat Afloat' by doing that I have had no problems with any of the disc what so ever.
Thanks to Amazon for a prompt refund and thanks for reading.

Lewis - Series 7 [DVD]
Lewis - Series 7 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kevin Whately
Price: 8.50

5.0 out of 5 stars He may well return?, 23 Feb 2013
This review is from: Lewis - Series 7 [DVD] (DVD)
I really enjoyed Series 7 as with all the others very well produced, acting superb and that great City of Oxford atmosphere.
I get the feeling that Lewis may come back as special epsisodes every now and then, maybe at Christmas for the next few years?.(well i do hope so). The ending I thought was left a little open for this to hopefully happen?
I cannot see Hathaway ever re-appearing so a replacement will need to be found.....maybe a female character for a change.
These 3 episodes barely last for 1 hour and 27 minutes each on DVD, it just goes to show how much time adverts and sponsorhip takes up these days, I mean the old Morse episodes from the 80s used to run for around 1 hour and 40 minutes on DVD.
The packaging of this DVD is totally different from the rest as it has no cardboard slip case, I wish there was more consistency from the DVD companies as it does not match with the others on the shelf. Well at least I have them on DVD.....I am looking forward to the specials if they ever appear on DVD. Thanks for reading and like all Amazon products it came properly packaged and all in quick time.

Great British Railway Journeys: Series 3 [DVD]
Great British Railway Journeys: Series 3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Portillo
Price: 12.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Bradshaw and Mr Portillo, 10 Feb 2013
I first heard the name 'Bradshaw' way back in the 1980s whilst watching that great 'Sherlock Holmes' series with 'Jeremy Brett'. 'Sherlock' would very often shout to 'Watson' for him to fetch the 'Bradshaw'.
I used to think that a 'Bradshaw' was just a basic Railway Timetable without ever imagining it gave so much detail as to help the traveller plan a journey and to state what to look out for on the way etc...
I have really enjoyed every episode from this the Third Series and cannot claim a favourite as they are all so fantastic as were series 1 and 2. The DVD is well presented in a clear plasic case which houses the 5 discs with flip trays. My only gripe is that there seems to be no consistency in the packaging, I mean Series One was packaged similar to this set but Series Two is in a cardboard container, but at least they are all available to watch on DVD.
I have watched Series 4 on TV and really enjoyed it so I hope it will be available early in 2014 on DVD, also a little bird tells me that a Brand New Series 5 will also appear early next year in 2014 so that will be Great and something to look forward to.
As with all Amazon DVDs I have purchased this one arrives in very quick time and well packaged. Thanks for reading my review.

Norton Internet Security 2013 - 3 Computers, 1 Year Subscription (PC)
Norton Internet Security 2013 - 3 Computers, 1 Year Subscription (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as ever!, 15 Jan 2013
Like last years Norton it comes in a DVD container which makes it easier to slip through letter box and useful to keep hold of.
I found the product very easy to install and everything runs smoothly no problems what so ever.
It's a bit strange that on the box it does not state 'Norton 2013'' so don't be put off by this as I can assure you it is the 2013 version.
A very prompt delivery from Amazon and sensibly packaged....

British Steam 2008 [DVD]
British Steam 2008 [DVD]
Price: 9.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Very shallow programme, 11 Jan 2013
This review is from: British Steam 2008 [DVD] (DVD)
I purchased the first ever of 'British Steam 1999' on VHS and was very impressed so I continued buying them up until 'British Steam 2006'. All these programmes had plenty of depth to the production, I mean they use to get the railway involved in the programme, like allowing the volunteers to have a say in what they do on the preserved railway lines, and also having former engine drivers and firemen explain about life on the footplate like in the 2006 programme. They were Really Great! I still watch them from time to time as they just have such charm and ooze with atmosphere.(i mean you can almost smell the smoke and steam)
Well I don't know why 'British Steam 2007' never appeared maybe the company at the time who produced all the volumes up to 2006 being 'DD Home Entertainment' decided to stop for some reason?
So I gave up thinking that was it all finished no more 'British Steam'. Then I was browsing on Amazon and came across this 2008 programme it was very reasonably priced at just 3 plus postage in fact it was from one of those sellers who sale through Amazon.
So I sat down comfortably one evening and put on 'British Steam 2008'....What a DISAPPOINTMENT...Just like watching paint dry the trains keep passing along the track with nobody getting involved in the production. I was really cheesed off even though the commentary was very good by Jeremy English. So I am not surprised that no more 'British Steam' are available after 2008 and I am not at all sorry as the 2008 production was very shallow, boring, and very sad that it all at to end in this way when all previous editions were Fantastic.

Eddie Stobart Trucks And Trailers - The Complete Series 3 [DVD]
Eddie Stobart Trucks And Trailers - The Complete Series 3 [DVD]
Price: 10.92

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor Slip Case otherwise 5 Stars, 22 Sep 2012
I have really enjoyed this Third Series, and I am so glad that it keeps to the very high standards of the first two.
My only gripe is that Series One and Two had really great quality slip cases for housing the 4 slim DVD cases, made of nice thick cardboard. This one has a slip case of standard card and it don't match the others when placed on the shelf.
Have been watching the new Series 4 on Channel 5, very good as usual and it's nice that Fiona is begining to lose that really annoying nervous laughter?
Must give Amazon some praise for their prompt devlivery and great packaging.

Norton Internet Security 2012, 3 Computers, 1 Year Subscription (PC)
Norton Internet Security 2012, 3 Computers, 1 Year Subscription (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Carry On Scanning, 15 Jan 2012
I have been using 'Norton Internet Security' for years and have never had a problem, even though a lot of people reckon it can slow down your PC. This years Norton spends a great deal longer when performing a Full System Scan (aprox 20 minutes)? I think that's a very good thing as previous years were quite short, maybe it's because there are a lot more viruses about these days?
It arrived in a standard DVD case (very good quality one too) so therefor making it easier to slip through my letter box.
I use to buy my Norton at 'PC World' and found it very confusing? as the upgrades were more expensive than a full Norton and also so many variant's of the same product?
Amazon makes it easier to choose the one you want, especially when reading the reviews of others etc.
As with all my Amazon purchases it arrived in good time and very sensibly packaged........

Pie in the Sky - The Complete Collection [DVD]
Pie in the Sky - The Complete Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Richard Griffiths
Offered by FILMNIGHT
Price: 32.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Not enough ingredients, 2 Dec 2011
I cannot knock this series as it's brilliant every episode a joy to watch all 40 episodes. What I will say is that if I paid the full price for this I would of expected a Bigger Pie.
I was lucky to have paid just under 40 for my copy as Amazon reduced the price for a short while. The way the DVD set is packaged is not that clever, as it consists of a cardboard sleeve which houses two 8 disc clear plastic cases. The cases are of poor quality and it makes it very difficult to remove the discs from their mountings.
The special features are as follows:

1. Production Notes
2. Conversation With Maggie Steed (Oct 25th 2004)
3. Fimographies (up to 2005) (really needs to be updated)
4. Picture Gallery

These Special Features are repeated 7 times throughout the collection and are all identical.
Shame it could not contain an interview with Richard Griffiths, and maybe a feature on how he makes his famous Pie?
The picture quality is quite good especially playing it on a Blue Ray Player. There are no subtitles which is surprising as most DVDs have them.

One bit of Trivia is that the canopy outside the Restaurant 'Pie In The Sky' is Red in the early series but changes to Green for the remainder.

Amazon deserves a big THANKYOU for their prompt delivery and excellent packaging.....Thanks for reading my review.

Minder: The Complete Collection [DVD]
Minder: The Complete Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ George Cole
Price: 38.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, 26 Dec 2010
Really very pleased with this box set especially the price. Every episode is a pleasure to watch the acting is superb and very funny. The extras are brilliant and that includes the 3 short interviews with George Cole he talks about the early years, the middle years and the Gary Webster years.
I found that one of the episodes 'The Birdman Of Wormwood Scrubs' has a bit of interference (a bit fuzy in places) nothing to worry about propably to do with the age of that episode. Also some discs have some minor surface scratches (but i am not complaining as it must be a terrible job trying to package 33 discs into a box on a restricted time limit).
I always say that the old ITV were never much good at making sit-coms, but when it comes to comedy dramas they were the tops 'Minder' being the best they ever produced, closely followed by 'Auf Wiedersehen Pet'.
Like with all my Amazon orders this came perfectly well packaged and in good quick time. Thanks for reading my review!....

The Leather Boys [1963] [DVD]
The Leather Boys [1963] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rita Tushingham
Price: 12.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Crash Bang What A Picture, 18 Sep 2010
After reading all the bad reviews about this film I decided not to buy this DVD. Although I was lucky to find someone who had a copy and borrowed it just to see what all the fuss is about.
Well the picture quality is absolutely dreadful, has no definition what so ever. Sound quality not so bad but not brilliant.
I have come to the conclusion that this has to be a bootleg, it has been transfered to DVD from a badly recorded VHS that was probably recorded from the BBC many years ago and possibly on long play, because the picture quality is alway worse LP mode.( i bet they never even cleaned the tape heads first)(must have been filthy dirty)
So what has happened to the original film? it must surely be in some vault awaiting a DVD release or has it been destroyed?.
The original film must have been of much better quality than this release otherwise people would have been demanding their money back at the Cinema's.
If there is anyone out there who knows where the original film is? or to the company that owns it, then please could you possibly put it out for sell in the condition it deserves.
My apologies to AMAZON for not buying this DVD but I will buy more stuff in the future from you. Thanks for reading and beware of Bootlegs.