Profile for Mrs. J. Jones > Reviews

Content by Mrs. J. Jones

Mrs. J. Jones "janejones" (Chester)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
MiniSun Daylight LED Clamp On Desk Lamp Spotlight
MiniSun Daylight LED Clamp On Desk Lamp Spotlight
Offered by The Light Factory
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 23 Nov 2013
Very attractive, does the job well, a bit stiff to open and close but it stops other people from nicking it from my display.

It Didn't Just Happen - Volume 1
It Didn't Just Happen - Volume 1
by Elsie Nemlin

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 7 Jan 2013
The catalogue of people reviewed in this book reads like a 'Who's Who' of famous names (although there were a couple I had not heard of) and all had an inspirational story to tell. I was unexpectedly touched by Sylvester Stallone's story, if anyone can keep coming back after so many (literal) knock-backs it should inspire the rest of us to keep going. Elsie has chosen carefully and the 44 icons have enough variety - class, colour, nationality, educational background etc - to appeal to everyone. She does not write a biography of each one but gives enough detail to whet the appetite for more and there are references at the end of each individual story. Nice one Elsie!

The Cleaner of Chartres
The Cleaner of Chartres
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, satisfying read, 7 Jan 2013
Having only read one of Sally Vickers' books before I had positive expectations but this book exceeded them. The cleaner herself is such a well-drawn character, well supported by the rest of the characters in the book and the plot line and ending are ver satisfying. One to recommend to friends.

The Happets: Play with Colours
The Happets: Play with Colours
by Laurence Jammes
Price: 6.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Very sweet, should be popular with little ones, 30 July 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A very sweet way of introducing colours in a 'touchy feely' book which will appeal to under twos. The characters are adorable, although some names are a bit strange, and the book is beautifully illustrated. I gave all the fabric bits a good tug and they seemed very secure. Highly recommended.

Incubus (Fairwick Chronicles 1)
Incubus (Fairwick Chronicles 1)
by Carol Goodman
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb pacy pageturner, 10 July 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I couldn't put this book down and finished it (466 pages!) in one day. The characters are well drawn, from Callie who starts with a new job and house only to find herself involved in a fairyland plot to destroy her, to the incubus of the title, to the staff of the college she works for, right up to the people who live in the town of Fairwick. It has everything a lover of fantasy could want - witches, fairies, werewolves and other creatures from the otherworld, but told in a novelistic form which makes you suspend disbelief quite willingly. Part love story, part adventure, part detective story, the plot drives the book forward at a lick without losing the reader. I wanted to know what would happen to the incubus in the end, what would happen to Callie, what would happen to her students Mara and Nicky and the ending resolved all the questions while leaving the door open for a sequel if wanted. There was a bit too much sex for my taste, but quite honestly I can't see how you can write about an incubus without including the sex, so it was necessary to the plot. A book I would recommend highly.

Solace
Solace
by Belinda McKeon

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely, gentle pace but doesn't actually get very far, 9 July 2011
This review is from: Solace (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I enjoyed reading this book but kept wondering when it was going to get there - I was not sure where but I kept hoping to find out. It is beautifully written, with lovely characters, and of course there are subtle changes in the characters who develop as the book progresses. Mark is of a new generation of rural Irish families who do not necessarily want to stay on the land. He finds love with Joanne, from the same village but similarly educated and wanting to move away. The story moves back and forth between Dublin and the countryside, effectively capturing the tension between Mark and his parents and Joanne and her family. Tragedy strikes and Mark and his father have to find a new way to relate to each other, Mark's baby daughter and the farm. There is a resolution of sorts but one is left with the feeling that life is going to carry on in a broadly similar way, albeit with the protagonists accepting each other more than they did at the outset. I found myself feeling a bit depressed at the end of this book.

Cho-Yung Weight Loss Tea - 30 Tea Bags
Cho-Yung Weight Loss Tea - 30 Tea Bags
Price: 36.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry guys - it doesn't work!, 4 July 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I tried this tea for a week, drinking 2 cups a day as recommended and ended up a pound heavier than when I started - without changing my normal eating patterns. I was going to persist for 15 days, to finish the bag of 30 teabags but it gave me such diarrhoea that I had to stop. Even with diarrhoea I didn't lose any weight though. I do have to question the picture of the sveldt girl on the packet with the oversize jeans, clearly implying massive weight loss. In my opinion this tea will not make you lose weight! It is quite a pleasant drink, and obviously caffeine free, but a couple of cups of ordinary green tea will be just as beneficial as far as I can see.

Falling Upward: A Spirituality for the Two Halves of Life
Falling Upward: A Spirituality for the Two Halves of Life
by Richard Rohr

5.0 out of 5 stars Timely wisdom, 2 July 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I chose this book because it seemed right for the stage of life I am now in, but I am sure it would help very many people who are looking for deeper meaning in life. Obviously, as a committed Christian, I am in sympathy with Richard Rohr's background but he goes far beyond what we understand as 'Christian' thinking, quoting frequently from buddhism and other religions. He has a wonderful style which gets right the the heart of his subject, with no easy answers and pat explanations.

The 'second half of life' thinking he describes is not just for older people like me, it is a spiritual wisdom that can be achieved much earlier in life. People often wonder why faith is so strong in countries and cultures where major traumas are part of life and this is irritating dismissed by atheists as people needing 'comfort'. Richard Rohr contends that it is only through suffering that we get to the place where we can find a deeper relationship with God - the 'falling upward' of the title. Not that God deliberately causes that suffering, to teach us a lesson, but that encountering suffering in our lives can teach us much about the truth - if we let it.

Now I have got to the end of the book, I am going to start again and re-read it - it is that kind of book. Then I am going to lend it to my friends!

Strings Attached
Strings Attached
by Judy Blundell
Price: 6.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Tense, gripping, compulsive, 5 Jun 2011
This review is from: Strings Attached (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Judy Blundell's seond novel is a real page-turner with characters who spring to life off the page. It is very pacy, full of action and moving without becoming sentimental. Kit is one of triplets whose mother died at their birth. Brought up by their rather hopeless father they are appealing to the media through their tragic story and their winsome faces. Kit is by far the most talented though, standing out from the start with her dancing and singing. She escapes the narrow confines of her upbringing by running away to New York to make her fortune. Unfortunately some rather shady connections from her early life follow her there, mainly in the shape of her boyfriend Billy's father, Nate, and his secret life. There are mysteries to solve, dangers to overcome and ghosts from the past to confront but Kit comes out of it in the end through her own ingenuity and a maturity beyond her years. The ending is very satisfying, with Kit chosing the life and independence she wants but with enough loose ends to keep the reader guessing about what happens next. I really enjoyed this book.

Vaclav and Lena
Vaclav and Lena
by Haley Tanner
Price: 10.56

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure who this is for, 1 Jun 2011
This review is from: Vaclav and Lena (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Even when I got to the end of this book I was not quite sure whether it was for adults or children. The child-like voice in the first few sections, before the disappearance of Lena, was unconvincing and I found the frequent lists quite annoying. Even when Vaclav and Lena get together again when they are 17 the language was not quite right somehow. Having said all that, the story was engaging and the characters nice, if rather shallow. Vaclav and Lena are childhood friends who help each other through the maze of life as an immigrant child with English as a second language. There are lots of issues which are central to the plot, such as child welfare and the disruption of living in an unfamiliar culture. Although told from a child's viewpoint, it would have been good to have known a bit more about the adults involved and the lives they had left behind. It would also have been good to have found out a bit more about the missing seven years. Although quite promising it never really came off for me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 14, 2011 11:05 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15