ARRAY(0xa8094f84)

Page: 1 | 2
Brooks Unisex-Adult T7 Racer Yellow/Black/White Trainer 1000191D371 9 UK, 10 US
Brooks Unisex-Adult T7 Racer Yellow/Black/White Trainer 1000191D371 9 UK, 10 US

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 24 Sep 2013
I didn't even need to take a step in these shoes to know they were not right for me. I have been wearing Brooks ASR and Green Silence for the past few years and they have always been a perfect fit with no issues with rubbing except at ultra distance. These I put on and could immediately feel the sections of fabric the laces are attached to digging in through the upper near my toes (the upper is very thin, whereas the section digging was relatively stiff). I'm sure other people have got on with them, so can't put it wholly down to bad design, but it certainly didn't work with my (relatively normal) feet.

Assassin's Creed II (PC)
Assassin's Creed II (PC)
Offered by PNA247
Price: 1.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Blinding, 18 Dec 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Just completed this game and I have to say that it's unbelievably good. Those with good internet connections who choose to shun it are really missing out. Far more variety than the original and plenty of plot to get stuck into. Weapons are fantastic, especially the ones that are not part of your standard armory. I found one section slightly frustrating (a timed platform-type mission) but other than that it was a joy to play. My connection has dropped twice during the entire time I've been playing it, so I'm not bothered in the slightest about the DRM. Buy it so Ubisoft can keep providing us with these cracking titles.

Need for Speed: ProStreet (PSP)
Need for Speed: ProStreet (PSP)
Offered by Game Trade Online
Price: 11.29

2.0 out of 5 stars Masochists only..., 31 Aug 2010
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I recently completed this game having played through from the start on the hardest level 'Speed King'. Quite how I managed to stick it out all the way to the end is a testament to something in the game that the developers got right - that 'one more go' feeling. For some reason I felt compelled to continue beating my head against the wall of gameplay flaws in the knowledge that at some point (sometimes after 30-40 attempts I'd get it right). So that's what's right with it - it kept me coming back for more.

As for what's wrong? Well...
The handling is so sluggish it's like trying to navigate a turd around the track (except the GT-R, but you won't get that until right at the end of the game, by which point you might have committed suicide). Because the graphics are so blurry at speed you really need to know when a corner is coming, because by the time you actually see it it'll be too late. To compound this, the AI seems intent on sticking to its line no matter the cost, meaning if you pip it to a corner it'll quite happily turn into your rear three quarter and stick you in the wall. This happens time and again, meaning that any sensation of you actually 'racing' is lost. Strangely though, it is almost impossible for you to dish out a bit of the same without causing yourself some major damage (which turns the handling from gash to undriveable). There's also the fact that you have to buy certain cars for certain races and the miserly winnings mean that you have to play some tracks over and over to earn enough to purchase them (and then play the tracks some more so you can upgrade them and become competetive). Weirdly though, you can't sell any of your old cars to speed up this process.

Overall this is a really slap-dash effort but there was something about it that kept me playing it and for that I've given it an extra star. I only really started having fun when I got the Nissan GT-R but that was probably about half an hour before I completed it so it's scant recommendation based on the time I put in.

Unless you can resist the urge to launch your PSP out of a window I would avoid at all costs.

War Is The Answer
War Is The Answer
Price: 8.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Time to start breaking stuff, 2 Oct 2009
This review is from: War Is The Answer (Audio CD)
Rather than tell you what I think this album might be like from the snippets of one or two songs I thought I'd take the novel approach of writing a review when I'd listened to the whole thing.

5FDP manage to combine intelligent song writing, catchy hooks and brutal sound that's instantly recognisable. In fact they had all that on Way of the Fist and with this new album they've delivered again in spades. From start to finish War is the Answer provides the perfect outlet for anyone who has issues with the society we live in, but this is not just mindless whinging - the lyrics are honest and thought provoking without being self-indulgent. There's also a satisfying mixture of pace and aggression throughout, allowing you to appreciate the aural onslaughts all the more when they come.

Bottom line is that this is a fantastic album from a group of musicians who really understand how to piece together truly memorable songs.

Scream Aim Fire
Scream Aim Fire
Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth giving a second listen, 20 Feb 2008
This review is from: Scream Aim Fire (Audio CD)
It seems that a lot of people have played this and thought "WTF?". Sure, Matt Tuck has had vocal problems (what on earth is going on in "Take It Out On Me"?), but surely it does not extend to writing shockingly poor lyrics. The sad thing many probably won't give it a second chance, which is a shame because there's actually some really decent music behind the words.

I've found that the best thing to do with this album is to treat it like the last drunken bint on the dance floor at the end of a Saturday night - close your eyes, pretend it's someone completely different. You may find that you actually enjoy the experience.

And for those who are overly distressed by BFMV's new direction it's worth hanging on until the bonus track "Ashes Of The Innocent" (if you've got that version), which is far and away the closest to anything on "The Poison".

Silverlit PicooZ Remote Control Helicopter
Silverlit PicooZ Remote Control Helicopter

5.0 out of 5 stars Helicopters for dummies, 12 Feb 2008
I got given one of these for Christmas and it has taken everything I have thrown at it: Attacks from other flying objects, being flown into walls, 40ft freefalls onto concrete and more. Having said that my brother broke his within a day so there seems to be some variability in build quality. Having said that he's a bit of a neanderthal and could probably break an aircraft black box within a few seconds. All in all these are cracking little toys and for the modest price you can't go far wrong.

Dark Passion Play: Special Edition
Dark Passion Play: Special Edition
Price: 11.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Tarja who?, 12 Feb 2008
This is certainly the best way Nightwish could have come up with for anserwering all the questions that arose following the departure of Tarja. The range of songs on it is probably greater than anything I've heard before and it keeps you enthralled right until the final note. Truly outstanding.

Lead Sails Paper Anchor [Digipak]
Lead Sails Paper Anchor [Digipak]
Offered by jim-exselecky
Price: 6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars The only Atreyu album I'll ever buy.... maybe, 12 Feb 2008
I bought this album having heard references to Buckcherry and the like in reviews and I think it's an absolute cracker! A lot of people seem to be crying about Atreyu's 'new direction', but coming at the argument from another side, if this is so different from their other albums I know I'll probably not like them so I won't bother buying them. What is someone else's loss is my gain, so I hope their next effort continues along the same lines. Top stuff!

Leviathan
Leviathan

2.0 out of 5 stars Never judge a band by its hair..., 20 Feb 2006
This review is from: Leviathan (Audio CD)
I've been buying quite a lot of albums recently on the strength of reviews both in magazines and on websites and I can honestly say that this is the first time I've been let down. So much so in fact that I took the CD back and exchanged it for something else, which is another first for me.
The whole idea seemed great; a concept album based around Moby Dick played by an up-and-coming prog metal band with faces so hairy you could turn them upside-down and they would look the same. Just my cup of tea... or so I thought.
At this point I must say that the actual music is not too bad and that from an instrumental point of view these guys know there stuff, although I did find a distinct lack of decent hooks, which led to each song running into the next with little to distinguish between them. My main problem was with the vocals, which were quite simply shocking. I would have probably found this album more bearable had it been fully instrumental instead of having the incessant droning that completely failed to portray the rather more interesting subject matter.
Just so as not to mislead, my current taste in music includes the likes of Opeth, In Flames and Dimmu Borgir, so don't discount this album on my account. I just wanted to point out that this might not be the massive revelation that you were expecting.
Two stars (because it's metal!)

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Book 5): Adult Edition
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Book 5): Adult Edition
by J.K. Rowling
Price: 7.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Computer says..., 29 Mar 2005
I've just read all the Potter books for the first time, back to back, and I'm glad to say the style of writing has definitely improved as the books have gone on. Whereas the first two were aimed squarely at children, the others have been allowed to appeal to a much wider audience. I no longer feel patronised while reading these books by having every subtlety explained over and again to make sure I've understood it. True, this book does have one of Dumbledore's little summaries at the end, and the big secret about the scar was so obvious that Harry might as well have had 'It's him or me' etched onto his forehead instead, but all in all I was pleasantly surprised to find that this book was a lot better than people had led me to believe. It's big, there's no doubting that, but anyone who has complained about this is obviously only interested in the main on-going plot and has no interest in exploring the rest of the wonderfully realised world that Rowling has created. It's the little touches that leave these books towering above the rest, and the popularity of them is purely down to the sheer level of escapism that is on offer. If there is enough of a child still inside you, then there is a wonderful world to explore and I for one will be gutted when it finally comes to an end.

Page: 1 | 2