Profile for panther75 > Reviews

In the Canyons of Shadow and Light
In the Canyons of Shadow and Light
by Emily Donoho

5.0 out of 5 stars An absorbing, complex and rewarding read, 11 Oct. 2015
An absorbing debut novel, which repays a second reading. Although ostensibly a story about an NYPD homicide detective, this is very much a novel and not merely a crime story. Indeed if you are looking for a quick read with a satisfyingly ending where all the plot threads are neatly stitched together, this may not be for you. If however, you enjoy novels where crime is vehicle for a broader theme, and not purely a genre, this will satisfy in the way that Kate Atkinson and Susan Hill's "crime" novels do. As alluded to by another reviewer here, there is also wry humour.

For me, the book succeeds on a number of levels; I have never been to New York and yet the skillful descriptive passages made me feel I was right there, seeing the buildings, smelling the air, experiencing the weather, all of which are vividly yet unobtrusively present throughout the story (incidentally, I recommended the book to a friend who had lived in New York, who described that aspect as entirely authentic, and one of the best aspects of the writing) .Similarly the protagonist's state of mind and physical existence are entirely convincing and absorbing.The element of reader detection is about what is happening to Alex Boswell himself, and not about the crimes, which in a realistic fashion are not complicated mysteries. I also loved the understanding of Alex's relationships with his past and current work partner, and the messy reality of his family relationships.

The book offers detailed procedural understanding of the relationship between policing and prosecution, which I found fascinating as it prompted consideration of the ethics and politics of the situation, whilst refraining from waving any particular flags. The changes in New York and in particular the attitude to policing that followed 9-11 is addressed as an understated, but powerful background theme. The impact of law enforcement strategies is also unobtrusively woven into the story.

If I were to make any qualifications of my praise it would be that a skillful editor might have helped to tighten up the use of flashback in the narrative and maybe condensed some parts, and that UK readers might have benefitted from an occasional footnote (although I really liked that his book prompted me to the odd internet search enhance my understanding) These are really minor points however and overall I stand by a 5 star rating and eagerly await the author's next work.

Home Made Mini Clip Top Glass Jar 100ml Set of 12
Home Made Mini Clip Top Glass Jar 100ml Set of 12

5.0 out of 5 stars my close-to-ideal spice jar...., 4 Jan. 2013
I have been searching for a set of herb and spice jars which weren't pre-labelled, were of a decent size (these are 100ml) for domestic use. These are as good as I think I can get. The jars are the right size for many standard refills (Suma, supermarket own brand for example) and the oval shape means you can get a teaspoon in. They are good quality glass and the tops seem reasonably sturdy all the wire clips inthe 36 jars I bought working fine.

I have printed my own labels (I found Avery code L7651 a good size-accommodate size 16 font which is big enough to be really clear but you can still see jar contents easily and with 65 labels to an A4 sheet not too tedious to type up your own). This size label will also fit vertically along the narrower edge of the jar or on the top if wished. You ccan also just run off more if the labels need refreshing.

I love the look of these jars but if you are not a fan of clip tops they may not be for you. The bulk of the clip fastening means the need a little space.

Overall I am totally delighted and have just ordered another 24 to finish "filing" all my spices.

Burns Original Chicken for Adult or Senior Dogs 15 Kg
Burns Original Chicken for Adult or Senior Dogs 15 Kg

5.0 out of 5 stars because they are worth it..., 14 Nov. 2012
I have fed all my dogs on Burns dried food over 14+ years and although it is not at first glance the cheapest it is excellent value.

Some years ago I looked after a friend's lovely (if fat and dandruffy) black lab for the summer. He was on a budget food and I switched him to Burns-not only did he need less of the Burns so the money left for the cheap food more than lasted the months I had him, but his skin cleared up, he lost weight, rediscovered his bounce and a rumour surfaced in the village that I must have failed to look after him as clearly I was now walking a new (and younger) black lab which must be a replacement...and the reviewer who mention the low residue effect is spot on-no more huge stinky poos to bag up - not the best part of being a dog owner, but much more tolerable with a Burns-fed dog..

I have had a range of dogs including border terrier X, lurcher, akita and tibetan mastiff all thrive on this food, and they have had complements on their glossy coats, healthy weight, good condition into old age.

Really do recommend this food if you are starting out with a new dog, have a dog with poor skin and coat, digestive problems or weight gain, or think your dogs diet needs changing. If it suits them you will probably start to see the benfits after 6-8 weeks