Profile for Pauline > Reviews

The Optimistic Child
The Optimistic Child
by Martin E. Seligman

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, with very practical ideas, 21 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Optimistic Child (Paperback)
I love this book. I have used it many times. It is written with parents as the audience, and is accessible as such. However, as a practitioner working in education, I have adapted the materials into sessions that can be used by school staff on a 1:1 basis or as a group activity. I have found that some young people struggle with the concepts to begin with (Martin Seligman likes his long words, e.g decatastrophising!), so may benefit from going over the ideas slowly. I have seen a number of young people change their explanatory style from negative to more balanced as a result of the Optimistic Child approach, so can highly recommend it.The second part of the book, on developing spcial skills, is also good and important for many young people.

Mixed Feelings: The Complex Lives of Mixed Race Britons
Mixed Feelings: The Complex Lives of Mixed Race Britons
by Yasmin Alibhai-Brown
Price: 11.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, informative but depressing!, 2 Mar 2012
I had been keen to read this book for some time, so I read it avidly. It was an interesting read and kept me turning pages until the end. I liked the mix of personal experience with research evidence. However, I found it a depressing read, and did not inspire me with much hope for the future of my mixed race sons! Yasmin refers to the many problems and seemingly insurmountable difficulties of mixed race relationships. She quotes relationship after relationship that has ended, children with identity issues and pervasive experiences of racism and discrimination. Whilst I do not doubt the accuracy of Yasmin's recounts, I had hoped for something more encouraging for myself and my family. There are many positive aspects to mixed race relationships and to being mixed race that I feel could have been emphasised. I know the title is 'mixed feelings' but there was a much stronger focus on the negative that does not really help people in mixed relationships. Perhaps it was not Yasmin's intention to write an affirmative book but that is what I would have preferred to read.