Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Amazon Customer (England)

Kasp K30050 Graphite Powder
Kasp K30050 Graphite Powder

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for sticking door locks, 7 Aug. 2015
I was told this would help with a sticky Yale type door lock. I am a DIY Doofus but this worked like a charm with no mess or fuss. If I'd known it would make such a difference I would have bought some years ago.

The Crossover
The Crossover

3.0 out of 5 stars Readable stuff, but needs an editor, 1 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Crossover (Kindle Edition)
There's the start of a decent novel somewhere in here, and the writing is readable, but it desperately need both an editor and proofreader. There's just too much going on, and not enough time is being given to individual plot threads. The stuff about England has some howling mistakes and almost nothing is right about English policing - for a start police in England are not organised in precincts, nor answerable to mayors. If I were an editor would recommend cutting the hypnotism and crime subplots entirely. Make it about the romance, which is well developed, and the family details, which are interesting and ring true. I liked the neighbour. Finally, keep it in America.

Oracle Wait Interface: A Practical Guide to Performance Diagnostics & Tuning: A Practical Guide to Performance Diagnostics and Tuning (Oracle Press)
by Richmond Shee

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book - which could end up costing you a fortune, 26 May 2012
This is an excellent and well written approach to Oracle performance issues, but there is one major omission. Some of the views and packages it describes are part of the (not cheap) Oracle Diagnostic Pack which is not included in the Standard or even Enterprise licence. Without paying extra for this licence you are not even entitled to look at some of the views and grid pages it describes. AWR, ASH and ADDM, covered in chapter 9, are all part of this pack, but I could not find this mentioned anywhere in the book. Your use of them, however, will be flagged. If you work your way through chapter 9 on a production system, you could find yourself in the hole for a lot of money when the Oracle auditors come around.

The book covers many performance tuning diagnostic methods which do not rely on this pack, but there are no warnings about the ones that do. In the interests of fairness, I would suggest this as an update to a subsequent edition.

Furminator Cat
Furminator Cat

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't realise my cats even had this much fur, 7 April 2011
This review is from: Furminator Cat (Misc.)
I have a cat which had serious hairball problems, which resulted in expensive vet bills and not a few unpleasant surprises during late night trips to the bathroom. But no longer! The furminator has removed so much spare hair from my cats I am amazed they haven't gone bald. Luckily they seem to love it, and those cold, squishy hairballs between my toes are a thing of the past.

NB If you are unsure what to do with all that fur, you may wish to combine your purchase with the following. Knit Your Own Dog: Easy-To-Follow Patterns for 25 Pedigree Pooches

Max Value 85 Mbps Home Plug Double Unit Pack
Max Value 85 Mbps Home Plug Double Unit Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I'd got these 18 months ago, 27 Jun. 2009
After I'd faffed around with my wireless adapter for the best part of 18 months, my IT guy recommended that I try these instead. They took about a minute to set up and gave me a perfect connection instantly. It seems impossible that something that makes such a difference should be so easy. This is an excellent product that I would recommend to anybody.

Mass Effect (PC DVD)
Mass Effect (PC DVD)
Offered by Gameseek

1.0 out of 5 stars Won't even read the DVD, 8 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Mass Effect (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I thought because Bioshock worked okay on my PC this would be fine too, but my PC (which is less than a year old) won't even read the title of the DVD let along autorun the contents. The copy protection is horrible, it inconveniences the vast majority of honest gamers to a ridiculous extent. Since pirate copies of this game are all over the internet anyway, this is officially the most pointless security system ever. It's on a level with those idiots at the airports making everyone queue for hours so they can confiscate eyebrow tweezers and bottled water. Meanwhile I'll be returning my copy for a refund. Let the buyer beware!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 20, 2008 9:10 AM BST

Philips 5251 Digital Cordless Telephone
Philips 5251 Digital Cordless Telephone

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a winner, 23 Aug. 2007
I've never been able to get this thing to record messages consistently - half the time there's a beep-boop tone and 'not available' message, even though the message icon is flashing (and no, the memory isn't full). Maybe I've got a duff one, but it's completely unreliable - I never know from one day to the next if it's going to record my messages properly. I've had it for a year and it's caused me more stress than all the rest of my electrical items put together. I'm off to buy a different one, sorry Philips, but this thing is hopeless.

Foundation PHP for Dreamweaver 8
Foundation PHP for Dreamweaver 8
by David Powers

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Reference Guide, 4 Jun. 2007
I had an overdue project and just couldn't get my head around php and server side code. This book explained exactly what I needed to do, step by step, in clear and straightforward language. Despite my shaky knowledge of html and sql, this book helped me to create a working website with an sql database behind it in under a day. This is pitched exactly at beginners like me - it really doesn't miss a single step and the author explains everything clearly and even anticipates your mistakes. It's also in-depth enough for the more advanced designer, a really nice all round reference book. I cannot recommend this book highly enough and if I ever meet the author I will buy him a beer.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Book 5)
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Book 5)
by J. K. Rowling

5.0 out of 5 stars Darker, more powerful, just as rewarding, 21 Jun. 2003
At fifteen years old Harry Potter is no longer the bespectacled moppet of the earlier books. He is a stroppy, angsty teenager forced by circumstances to grow up just a bit too fast. However the book retains the same magic as the others - a magic that kept me reading for about thirteen hours more or less solidly, in fact. For make no mistake, this is a big and complex book. Not too complex - people underestimate kids - but certainly challenging, especially for younger readers.
The book starts with a bang and grows dark in the middle as injustice, indignities and failures are heaped upon Harry without any apparent redress, (I had to break here for a while, and found it hard to start reading again) but events lighten up as he responds and adapts to his circumstances and finds new inner strength and new resources among his friends and allies.
A familiar message from Star Wars and the Lord of the Rings - the important of acknowledging and conquering your inner rage and hatred - is becoming a central theme. The themes of courage and tolerance are, as always, absolutely core, but the theme of resistance and even rebellion against authority, albeit corrupt, unfair and cowardly, sounds a new and more adult note.
A number of new characters include one of the most unpleasant and least redeemable personages ever to grace the pages of a children's book. No spoilers, but perhaps this character is a little too close to home and a little too unpleasant. The button of the reader's righteous indignation is pushed just once or twice too often, I think.
The book does have flaws, the greatest of which is that there is just too much going on. Some characters are underused and some subplots could just as easily have been left out. Those who have read previous Harry Potter books may well find themselves suspecting absolutely everyone's motives and analysing every throwaway line in an attempt to second guess the author. In the end, however, this is a deeply readable and very powerful book which I would highly recommend both for children and adults.