Profile for G. Chaplin > Reviews

G. Chaplin

Page: 1 | 2
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and fits well, 18 April 2014
I purchased these to go in a new VW Polo as my local VW main dealer had no stock. This turned out to be a good decision: Great value, fit very well all around the car and good quality.

Would purchase again.

Anker® 40W 5-Port High Speed Desktop USB Charger with PowerIQ™ Technology for iPhone 6 Plus 5S 5C 5, iPad Air 2 Mini 3, Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 Note Tab, Nexus, HTC, Motorola, Nokia, PS Vita, Gopro, more Phones and Tablets (Black)
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Not exciting but an excellent product, 18 April 2014
This is not an exciting product but it does exactly what it sets out to do. About the size of an old 20 pack of cigarettes, it has simultaneously charged two iPhones and an iPad without even getting warm.

As well as the Apple charging cables, I have added a triple headed USB charging cable with micro-USB, Apple 30 pin / Samsung 30 pin and Apple lightening connectors. Now almost anything can be easily and quickly charged.

Highly recommended.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 (Mac/PC)
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 (Mac/PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars This will be great when the bugs are fixed, 6 Sep 2013
Have been using LR 4 and have upgraded to LR 5 for the new features. This is a great program but has too many bugs for a released product. It's a bit slow on my 32 bit Windows system and has crashed a few times. I have also lost MP3 sound on Slide Shows which, according to the Forums, is a known error on 32 bit systems. How does a basic error like this get through QA?

Once the bugs are fixed (v5.0.2 / v5.0.3?) this will be a five star product.

Do invest in one of the third-party books to help open up the product as there really is a lot to learn.

Plantronics Voyager Legend Bluetooth Mono Headset - Black
Plantronics Voyager Legend Bluetooth Mono Headset - Black
Offered by London Deals

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant headset with phone, not quite as good with PC, 1 Jun 2013
I purchased this as I wanted a headset to be able to attach to my iPhone 4 and my Windows 7 PC at the same time.

The headset is beautifully made with a very comfortable silicone ear-bud. It paired with my phone without any issue and automatically added a battery meter to the status display line. Audio quality is excellent and voice announcement work well. I am told by callers that my voice quality is also very good. I was a bit sceptical about voice recognition to answer a call, but this also works very well. Overall as a phone headset this is 5 star.

PC connection is not quite as good. Whilst it paired well with the Bluetooth on my PC and is automatically connected each time I get near the PC, the audio quality is not quite as good as when talking on the phone. I am not sure if this is the CSR Bluetooth, or the Cisco soft-phone application I am using. Music quality is also not great.

The Plantronics website is very good and lets you set preference including UK English for announcements. It will also provide updates.

Battery life is reckoned to be about 7 hours (it tells you when you switch it on) and you get good warnings when it is getting low. The included chargers for mains and car, along with the magnetic connector, work well. When blue light stops flashing, unit is charged.

Packaging, whist very attractive, is a bit over the top and a challenge to get it open.

Recommended.

D-Link Powerline AV500 Mini Adapter Starter Kit, QoS, Pushbutton config and Powersave
Offered by Base

5.0 out of 5 stars Just plugged it in and it worked!, 1 Jun 2013
Purchased this to replace an old D-Link power line adaptor that had give up the ghost.

Just plugged it in, pushed the sync buttons and it just worked. How refreshing.

Transfer speed is up considerably from the old product.

Only criticism is that there is no PC utility to check the quality of the connection. However this is minor and offset by not having to load any additional software to setup.

Recommended.

Adobe Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements 11 Bundle (PC/Mac)
Adobe Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements 11 Bundle (PC/Mac)
Offered by DynamicSales UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Good update but need to invest time to understand the changes, 24 Dec 2012
I have been using Photoshop Elements since version 2 and it keeps getting better. I have tended to upgraded every other version so have just moved from v9 to v11 on Windows 7.

The new User Interface is different and needs some getting used to – especially if you use People tags in the Organiser. It took me a day of pulling my hair out to understand where all my People tags had gone and how to show the faces again. It then clicked and I have now got my head around the “Rooms” including the People room and now fully understand the new tagging approach which does have some advantages. Face recognition is also quite impressive to the point of being spooky.

The rest of the interface is fairly familiar and is fast – my library is around 12,000 pictures. Navigation is quick and the Folder display on the left edge is a good move.

You have to get used to looking at the buttons on the bottom edge. This is where all the action now happens.

The editor is seamless and handles Raw files with ease using the new CS5 type Adobe Camera Raw with all the sliders starting in the middle. Again works well. The new tool arrangement is also good once you realise all the old tools are still present. Selection tools are greatly improved with the new Refine option that picks out hairs.

Good to see some bug fixes included: my old problem in v9 with renaming multiple files has gone away. The photo downloader works but for some reason does not auto-start when my camera is connected. Have played with the Windows 7 setting but still not quite there. Not a problem as just select with Ctl+G from the organiser.

I would strongly recommend “Photoshop Elements 11: The Missing Manual” to complement your purchase. As with previous versions of this book, it opens up all the features in an easily discoverable way.

Premiere Elements is not quite as slick although it does the job well. Handling key-frames is a bit clunky. I haven’t really spent too much time with this yet, but it seems to handle HD content from my Canon cameras with no problem.

One of the big changes in Premier is that instead of loading all the features when the program is installed, it downloads features when first needed. This includes templates and backgrounds. Smartsound is also a download, at a mere 250MB, and it confusing as it also includes a preview of Smartsound Pro (a $100 option) which is not made very clear.

Elements is still the best low-cost editing application. Look out for deals.

Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000
Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000

5.0 out of 5 stars It just worked ..., 9 Oct 2012
I wanted a small wireless mouse for my daughter's notebook. Most of them have a USB dongle which odds on would get lost. Hence I though I would try a Bluetooth product.

Previous experience with Bluetooth had shown it to be a bit temperamental. Not the case with this mouse; the Windows 7 PC just found it and everything worked. And continues to do so.

Well done Microsoft.

TeckNet® New Apple iPad Mini Extra Slimline Smart Case Cover With Built-in Magnet for Auto Sleep/Wake Feature Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, 26 Aug 2012
I am very pleased with this case. It does exactly what it says . It holds the iPad really snugly with a Velcro web to stop it sliding out.

The cover magnet works and turns the device off when closed.

It's not quite perfect as a stand and can be a little unstable unless the tab is pushed firmly into the back slot and the bottom pushed down.

However given I have seen similar branded cases for £100+, this is a great buy.

Lowepro Santiago 20 Pouch for Camera - Black
Lowepro Santiago 20 Pouch for Camera - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Good compact case, 6 Jun 2012
This is a compact and reasonably well made case that I purchased for my Canon PowerShot S100. The camera fits very snugly inside the case with the lanyard attached. There is probably room for a spare memory card, but I think it would be tight for an extra battery.

Across where the camera fits is an elastic strap that holds it into the case. However as the fit is already so snug, it makes it a little tricky to remove the camera from the case with one hand. Consequently I tend to put the camera in front of the strap, but this occasionally leaves a smudge on the display. The strap is probably useful if you accidently open the case upside-down as I presume it's designed to stop the camera falling out. As I tend not to do this, I may actually remove the strap.

As you close the case there is a cloth section on both sides that holds the two parts of the shell together. Care must be taken not to get these trapped in the zip when closing the case. This is why I dropped the rating to 4 stars.

The belt loop is good. You can open the case and easily get the camera out (when not behind the strap).

Overall it's very good protection for the camera, especially when it is at the bottom of a bag and could be crushed.

Canon Digital IXUS 980 IS Camera - Black (14.7MP, 3.7x Optical Zoom) 2.5 inch PureColor LCD II Viewfinder (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pocket camera, 2 Jun 2010
This is my fourth digital IXUS and has proved to be an excellent choice as a backup camera to my Canon 40D SLR. The quality of the images is excellent - even in low light. I haven't used it much in Manual mode preferring to leave it in Program mode. This gives great control and flexibility. Auto seems to be pretty good as well and can happily be used for Point `n Shoot. Generally focus is good and fast, but like most compact cameras is a bit slow in low light. The face detect feature really works well and I especially like the magnified image when a face is detected.

The flash output is a bit weak, but probably is to be expected given its size - it's OK as a fill-in it the daylight is not too good. For indoor shots, it's best to put the came on a stable platform and use a long exposure unless the subject is very near.

Movies are excellent and in .MOV format - not AVI as I was expecting from my previous Canon IXUS cameras.

No plans to change in the near future.

Page: 1 | 2