Profile for Rebecca > Reviews

Content by Rebecca

Rebecca (Vancouver, Canada)

The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy: (or Everything Your Doctor Won't Tell You) (Girlfriends' Guides)
by Vicki Iovine

4.0 out of 5 stars Upbeat & fun... but beware, 24 Jan 2008
There are just so many pregnancy books out there that are full of serious information about the rights and wrongs of pregnancy: what to eat, how to birth, decisions about genetic testing... I think the Girlfriend's Guide is a great break from all the seriousness. She WILL have you laughing about pregnancy. It's a simple and very light read that I enjoyed having beside my bed when I wanted a break from all the "information" coming at me.

Now having said this, please beware that this woman is talking from a layperson's perspective and she doesn't pretend otherwise. I found myself irritated at her outdated views and her major lean toward medicated birthing. She also has very random views about what you should and shouldn't do with regards to exercising, eating, drinking and dying your hair. The key is just to take the book for what it is: a laugh about the discomforts and peculiarities of pregnancy. It is chatty and humourous. It is NOT a book to help you make decisions or get advice from experts. If you can completely let go of that expectation, you will find this book refreshing and fun.