Profile for Jtudor > Reviews

The Lost Stars: Perilous Shield
The Lost Stars: Perilous Shield
Price: 5.31

3.0 out of 5 stars Perilous shield, 21 Aug 2014
A little slow to start but worth the read. Shows the different thinking from the Alliance people, a scary way to live but interesting nevertheless. Surprising ending, so can't wait for the next book. Should be interesting reaction from Iceni.

Dying Light (Logan McRae, Book 2)
Dying Light (Logan McRae, Book 2)
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Dying Light, 15 Aug 2014
Bloody good ,in every sense of the word. This is the second one of DS McRae's adventures I have read, and I am hooked. I lived in Aberdeen as a child so some of the names are familiar e.g. Market St and Regents Quay but it was not like the book then, as far as I was aware. I will be going for the next in the series as soon as I have caught up with my other books. Recommended reading if you like complicated and rough police books.

As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning (Penguin Modern Classics)
As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning (Penguin Modern Classics)
Price: 3.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Pre war Spain, 9 Aug 2014
Lee tells of a world of mostly innocent and good people which sadly no longer exists.He writes simply but elegantly of his wanderings and I found myself in a world which would nowadays get you arrested and leave you starving in a ditch. I don't say it couldn't be done today but officialdom would hinder your every step. All in all an amazing and fine story.

The Fort
The Fort
Price: 0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars The Fort, 27 July 2014
This review is from: The Fort (Kindle Edition)
This is the first time I have read any of Mr Davis's work, but I was pleasantly surprised by the story. It is a relatively short story but none the worse for that.It means that the writer has to concentrate on the tale without wasting time on sexual encounters, as is often the case.All in all a good story, short but to the point.

Praetorian: Cato & Macro: Book 11 (Roman Legion 11)
Praetorian: Cato & Macro: Book 11 (Roman Legion 11)
Price: 5.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Praetorian, 20 July 2014
Most enjoyable telling of the escapades of Cato and Macro and also revealing how dangerous Rome could be for the imperial family. I remember the excellent tv series I Claudius so could relate to the problems. Can't wait for the next book. Definitely recommend the books and Graves tv series.

Outlander: Cross Stitch (TV Tie-In)
Outlander: Cross Stitch (TV Tie-In)
Price: 3.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Cross Stitch, 17 July 2014
I have always been interested in time travel. So I enjoyed the book ,as a native Scot I was aware of how the English acted in Scotland before and after the '45 . They had much in common with the Vikings. However back to Claire, she is a good character even if she should have returned to her own time asap. God knows what damage her foreknowledge could do.

Conquest: Thomas Kydd 12
Conquest: Thomas Kydd 12
Price: 5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Conquest, 25 Jun 2014
Up to Mr Stockwin's standard as I remember from his previous books. I shall be reading the next book as soon as I catch up with my reading.

Ark Royal
Ark Royal
Price: 1.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Ark Royal, 21 Jun 2014
This review is from: Ark Royal (Kindle Edition)
Fast moving and enjoyable. I noted some errors which proof reading would have sorted but nothing vital. I also noticed similarities with Star Trek and the Lost Fleet series. Touches of plagiarism occasionally but all in an enjoyable read.

Victory: Thomas Kydd 11
Victory: Thomas Kydd 11
Price: 5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Victory at Trafalgar, 8 Jun 2014
Up to Stockwin's usual standard despite a frigate being unable to take part in the actual fighting. Useful background info on Nelson and his ability to inspire his people, officers and seamen alike.

A Spy by Nature
A Spy by Nature
Price: 0.99

2.0 out of 5 stars a spy by nature, 9 May 2014
This review is from: A Spy by Nature (Kindle Edition)
If this is how any spy operates, it is hard to see how we could ever find out anything. This has to rate as the most boring spy story I have ever read. It was fairly obvious from early on that the 2 Americans were up to something and for our hero? to imagine there would be no consequences from his actions has to be nave in the extreme. Not surprised that Charles Cumming left SIS if this was his attitude, or anything similar. Won't be buying any more of these books.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4