Profile for Tom Owen > Reviews

Content by Tom Owen

Tom Owen "Reviews Alun" (Mid Glamorgan, Wales)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Braquo Season 1 & 2 [DVD]
Braquo Season 1 & 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jean-Hugues Anglade

5.0 out of 5 stars gritty french police drama, 16 Aug 2012
This review is from: Braquo Season 1 & 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Plays like a darker version of the French Police series 'Spiral' - if you took to that series, you cannot fail to enjoy this.

Excellent series which leaves current British drama well and truly trailing in its wake. Sub-titles can put some people off but I find that once you get used to it, it draws you even closer into the series development. The added mental concentration simply means you are less distracted and more centred on what is going on.

Cannot recommend highly enough. Superb - I hope series 3 comes along sooner rather than later.

A Fear of Dark Water
A Fear of Dark Water

4.0 out of 5 stars Jan Fabel detective, 19 May 2012
Another in the series of Jan Fabel detective tales. Enjoyable read which maintains the high standard set by the earlier books.

NIGHT CREATURES
NIGHT CREATURES

5.0 out of 5 stars Weird Tales, 19 May 2012
This review is from: NIGHT CREATURES (Kindle Edition)
These are all tales published in the original and best American Pulp magazine 'Weird Tales'.

Every one a gem, there is not a bad story here - if you like vampire/werewolf tales, you will not be disappointed with this collection.

East 17
East 17
Offered by Alemannenprog

4.0 out of 5 stars twin guitar blues, 19 May 2012
This review is from: East 17 (Audio CD)
Saw them live at the Lyceum in London at an all night concert 4th February 2002.

Curved Air were the headliners supported by Stackridge, Audience and Sam Apple Pie.

This was I think before the release of their East 17 LP so the songs performed were primarily from their first album - they opened with 'Hawk' and I was immediateley hooked - great opener, great act. For me, Sam Apple Pie were the best act of the night by far (Curved Air were a favourite band of mine but they had become a bit too self-indulgent for my liking - not as 'tight' a band as I had previously been accustomed to).

East 17 is a bit more polished and diverse than their first album but probably lacked a real killer track to get them wider publicity and recognition. Flying is my favourite track reminding me of Wishbone Ash in dual guitar mode. All tracks are worth a listen - exciting and memorable live band who deserved more success than they achieved.

The Slime Beast
The Slime Beast

4.0 out of 5 stars Guy N Smith Pulps, 19 May 2012
This review is from: The Slime Beast (Kindle Edition)
Great fun, easy to read 'monster' pulp fiction - if Roger Corman was a book writer instead of a sci-fi/horror film director, this is the sort of stuff I would expect from him.

All Guy N Smith books have good pace and never drag in the way some of the great literary works can. If you just want a relaxing summer read in the garden, on the beach or before falling asleep at night, these are ideal. Just don't expect booker prize standards of literature.

Jethro Tull - Live at the London Hippodrome (Region 2)
Jethro Tull - Live at the London Hippodrome (Region 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Tull Live, 28 Dec 2011
Excellent concert from their early seventies period.

I seem to recall virtually the same track listing performed on an 'old grey whistle test' broadcast around the same time. Until then I hadn't appreciated what a fine live band Tull were - loved them ever since.

The cover photo shows an earlier incarnation of the group when they were a bit rougher around the edges (but still great).

The previous reviewer is spot on in his analysis - if you like Tull, this is a very welcome addition to any music DVD collection.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 14, 2014 6:32 AM BST

My Brothers Keeper [DVD]
My Brothers Keeper [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jack Warner

4.0 out of 5 stars Dixon of Dock Green but not as you know him, 8 Dec 2011
This review is from: My Brothers Keeper [DVD] (DVD)
Jack Warner plays the lead in what I imagine is his only bad guy role. He looked a bit too old and out of shape for some of the chase sequences but he's a big man who looked genuinely threatening in the more confrontational scenes - George Cole provided good support as the innocent abroad caught up in the escape.

If you are a steam train enthusiast, there's some nice period scenery showing some of the local Branch railway lines and stations. Jack Warner recalled in his memoirs his concerns about one scene in particular where he was required to run across a line just before a train passes - looked a bit too close for comfort to me. They certainly didn't mollycoddle their stars in those days.

The sub-plot with David Tomlinson and his honeymoon bride seemed a bit contrived and out of place but otherwise the story was well paced and interesting.

Enjoyed the chance to see a film which was all but forgotten. Great to see some of these old films released on DVD for the first time.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2012 10:32 AM GMT

Live: 1980-2001
Live: 1980-2001

5.0 out of 5 stars Jack Bruce live, 16 Nov 2010
This review is from: Live: 1980-2001 (Audio CD)
Thanks to previous reviewer Neil Mawer for his excellent summary.

I couldn't agree more - this is an excellent recording and the band is on top form. Jack is a brilliant vocalist but on some of his live recordings he can sound 'hoarse' and out of sorts - no such complaint here, this is Jack at his best. This is a powerhouse performance including both his solo and Cream work. Sunshine of your love is in my opinion the best version I have heard since the original Cream recording - the bass work is superb and drives the song along.

In the absence of any liner notes, I was nervous of making the purchase but was persuaded by the previous reviewer. Delighted to have done so.

3m 3.5mm Jack Cable - Premium Quality / 24k Gold Plated / Audio / Stereo / Male to Male
Offered by World of Data Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Cable to Cable, 12 Oct 2010
Great for connecting my laptop directly to the Aux In line on my Roberts DAB radio. I had a problem with a more expensive connector - the 'lip' at the edge of my laptop was preventing the insertion of the connector plugs. This was just what I wanted - provides nice, clear sound through my Radio.

14" Pneumatic Wheel/Replacement wheel
14" Pneumatic Wheel/Replacement wheel
Offered by SPARES-2-GO

5.0 out of 5 stars replacement wheelbarrow wheel, 30 Sep 2010
just what I wanted - I needed a replacement for a barrow bought at homebase. My old steel barrow is now as good as new.

You may need to keep the old wheel parts until you get your replacement just to make sure you have all the bits you need e.g. bolts and central wheel spindle to complete refit (you can use old bits and pieces where needed).

I got both the 12" solid and 14" pneumatic which I can easily switch between if needed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3