Profile for E. Greippi > Reviews

Content by E. Greippi

E. Greippi (Ireland)

Demon Moon (Berkley Sensation)
Demon Moon (Berkley Sensation)
by Meljean Brook
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: 5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and well written, 10 Jan 2010
I found this book very enjoyable. Witty dialogue, interesting characters and multifaceted plot made it a charming read. Problems the characters face, unable to stay together even after they give in the fact of mutual love are nicely extraordinary. Overall the book manages to avoid many paranormal romance cliche. Their surroundings and friends make it very interesting read, and the camaraderie between some characters works really well.
I also found Savitri's Indian background refreshing, something way too rarely found in romantic literature.
The story itself is quite action packed, starting with Savi saving a plane full of passengers from nosferatu attack. She is delightfully strong heroine, intelligent, witty, resourceful and a woman who can think and take care of herself even when facing uneven odds. Still she is not stupidly independent, but understands when it's better to accept help. The author keeps that balance extremely well.
As a hero, Colin is both frustratingly vain, but I found that it gave the story bit more comic effect. Also he grows well during the story, when he cares about Savi more and more.
I recommend the book to everyone who likes well written, action packed and sensual romance and paranormal story.

Mistborn: The Final Empire (Mistborn Trilogy)
Mistborn: The Final Empire (Mistborn Trilogy)
by B Sanderson
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars One of those books one cannot let go, 5 Mar 2008
I enjoyed Elantris a lot and waited eagerly for new Sanderson book. Somehow I nearly missed it and only now read it.
On the other hand, book was worth the wait, and I read it in one day, barely let it off my hands to eat.
It's written very well, the story flows and even when there is not much happening plotwise, there is no dull moments in the storytelling.
Characters are interesting and deep enough, even if main character Vin is not my favourite character ever. But everyone is detailed person with their own habits, nature, hopes and fears and they make fine teachers, friends, enemies and even love interest for her.
The ending has few surprises, but mostly it's guessable. That's not a bad thing, since the events are described colourfully and at least I wanted to turn pages faster to find out what really happens next.
I really love his writing style and the idea of using metals as 'mana' is interesting - I haven't seen it anywhere else. The political situation, everyday life and different people, everything is thought out and drawn well into a great story.