Profile for J. I. De Beresford > Reviews

Content by J. I. De Beresford

J. I. De Beresford "safemouse" (Farnham)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
The Number 23 [DVD]
The Number 23 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jim Carrey
Offered by DVDBayFBA

2.0 out of 5 stars Took too long to get good, 25 Aug 2007
This review is from: The Number 23 [DVD] (DVD)
I was as confused as Jim Carrey's character was for most of this film. When all was revealed I pretty much didn't care. It's beautifully shot and has many interesting ideas but the horror and suspense is carried mainly by the filmscore. Carrey sometimes stumbles in the acting department, although he's upstaged by the boy who plays his son, who brings out the worst in an all too often wooden script. What is more, when we see a murder in this film I never quite work out why the murderer did it and the film contains lots of half-baked moments like that.

Sleeping Dogs Lie [DVD] [2007] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Sleeping Dogs Lie [DVD] [2007] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Melinda Page Hamilton
Offered by supermart_usa

4.0 out of 5 stars I cuddled my cat once, 24 Aug 2007
Having seen Cashback the night before, this movie is also a little off the beaten track, although for quite different reasons. Many of us have a secret which we want to tell but feel we can't and this film examines such a concept with humour, excellent casting and a fairly decent script. There were many times I had to pause the DVD, it made me cringe so, but this was because you dread the reactions of the characters at certain points. It would be a good DVD to watch with friends, but perhaps not family. I was a bit disappointed by the ending but only a little bit. If you're broadminded give this a whirl.

Cashback [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Cashback [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Sean Biggerstaff
Offered by supermart_usa

3.0 out of 5 stars Amateurish yet professional, bad yet good, 24 Aug 2007
In some ways, it may only be fully understood by those attracted to the female form, as it chronicles what it is like to experience attraction to it. Particularly the effect that seeing a beautiful naked woman can have on a small boy. Like many good films, it has a message of hope and does something with the medium that one hasn't seen before. (Even though it does many I have, and badly.) Although it is part escapism, it is also grounded in some of the humdrum yet interesting reality we know, giving it a nice duality. Unfortunately, it is let down by a bad script that sometimes verges on less than one dimensional but that doesn't spoil some beautiful moments. One very odd thing is that although it is set in 2005, supposedly we are expected to believe that when the young university student was a boy of perhaps 11 the year was 1984. It would have been about 1995. What is more, his mother was dressed in 70s style clothing! I know the 80s is currenlty thought of as hipper than the mid-90s but to a 31 year old this is a very blatant anachronism.

Fundamental
Fundamental
Offered by westworld-

2.0 out of 5 stars Awkward as an elephant, 9 Aug 2007
This review is from: Fundamental (Audio CD)
It fascinates me how divided people are over the quality of latter day PSB offerings. To me, there is a clear division line between their stuff up to Very and their stuff thereafter. For others, very clearly not. And so those who have a high regard for their mature period will probably mark this review as being unhelpful. But here it goes anyway. This album is like a bottle of flat cola from Happy Shopper. That bottle had its day. It fizzed brightly when just opened with songs like "Why don't we live together?", "One more chance" and "I'm not scared". Even when it had lost a bit of its sparkle its Liberation and The Theatre still enough carbonation to make it worth swallowing. But it got progressively flatter and the only way you could drink it was by shaking the bottle 'til stuff like "It always comes as a surprise", and "Samurai in Autumn" fizzled and showed it still had something in it yet. As for Fundamental...There is one good chord change (on Psychological) and half a tune in this. And the production seems to echo their fading muse. With each album Neil's voice seems ever more ethereal and like background radiation. Minimal typifies this airy fairyness. It jussst lacks something. Just sounds that little bit too slow, a song you would just bop to, not dance. Imagine if the same production team of Please had worked on the same song? The music bigs up its dance credentials but it can't dance in time. The lyrics are either not clever simple or not clever complicated. Clunky metaphors or the sort of pop cliches best left to Louise and boy bands. They used to do clever simple and complicated. The challenge for the pop artist is how to grow old gracefully as his music loses the fire of youth. It's not a challenge that PSB have handled that well and hence why they're not quite the national treasures they should be. Radio 2 has done its best to push them but they keep blowing it. But but but but...I will always be a fan. Come on boys, just one more stormer.

Lacan for Beginners (Writers & readers beginners guide)
Lacan for Beginners (Writers & readers beginners guide)
by Philip Hill

3.0 out of 5 stars Is this a wind up? It might almost as well be., 2 Aug 2007
It's as if someone made up a school of thought for a prank and this is the result. Having skimmed this what I clearly need first is "Lacan for beginners for beginners".
The writer of this book is clearly a Lacan enthusiast but forgets just how little the average person knows and, perhaps, could have done with being rather more objective. I rather get the feeling that psychologists in general find a way of understanding things that is by no means entirely accurate and smacks slightly of making things up as one goes along. Still, that won't put me off reading the book again. It's good exercise for the brain.

The Secret History
The Secret History
by Donna Tartt

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 30 July 2007
This review is from: The Secret History (Paperback)
Would the characters in the book read such a book as this? Of the prinicipal ones, only the narrator himself. Firstly, this is a thriller, a genre beneath most of them. A book for the "hoi-poloi". Only, it is more than that. This is because this novel essentially combines the fast paced, hackneyed dialogue of the airport novel with a gift for observation and discernment that belongs more properly to high browed fayre that gets entered into book awards. The result is something that people who read booker prize winners might make an exception for and people who read Stephen King might aspire to. I find the photograph of ms Tartt in my copy to be worrying unfriendly and inaccessible, like one of the characters in the novel itself.

McCartney II
McCartney II
Offered by marvelio-uk

3.0 out of 5 stars Come along with Paul to his bouncy castle, 28 July 2007
This review is from: McCartney II (Audio CD)
This album has the song "Nobody knows", which is as close as McCartney gets to saying nobody really knows what life is all about. And he says he likes not knowing. There is also a Golden Slumbers, nursery style song with lyrics "The world will soon be waking to a summer's day": Read "our present miserable nightmare of consciousness is but a dream". But he never is quite saying that because Paul McCartney is aspiritual. His spirit is entirely in his music and sometimes the lightness of it makes it depressingly unprofound. So there is a kind of fun immaturity mixed with traces of melodic splendour that drift about inside him. As he said in a song not on this album "What have those songs got to do with me?"

Cosmic Consciousness: A Study in the Evolution of the Human Mind
Cosmic Consciousness: A Study in the Evolution of the Human Mind
by Richard Maurice Bucke

4.0 out of 5 stars A great idea with unimportant(ish) flaws, 6 July 2007
The fellow is onto something. He proposes that consciousness was, is and will expand and plots some of the steps.... As well as predicting the next, which is cosmic consciousness. The last one we acquired was a sense of self- the next will be a sense of one being one with the universe. This is all fine and dandy then he runs into one two tricky stretches of water with his predictions for the 20th century and who he thinks is a CC candidate and how old they were. It is biased towards his contemporaries and "mate", to put it bluntly. I'm not saying he's wrong but you start to get a feeling things are getting tenuous, shall we say. I personally don't buy that Francis Bacon was Shakespeare. I think Shakespeare probably read alot of Bacon's dull dull prose and alchemised it into fine poetry. That would explain why one writes boring stuff and one totally excellent stuff.
Also, as we know just 100 years later, we are getting more senous, musically sophisticated and have even had bouts of Cosmic Consciousness. But we're doing it without advancing morally. We're doing it with the assistance of illicit substances and hypocritical pop stars. There's no doubt that we're getting more conscious but not necessarily on the brink of waking up in the kingdom of love. Not just yet. The narrow path may be much more horizontally inclined. He would appear to suggest that we are on the tipping point.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 4, 2013 8:15 PM BST

Running Blind
Running Blind
by Desmond Bagley

5.0 out of 5 stars What opened up the world of novels for me, 30 Jun 2007
This review is from: Running Blind (Hardcover)
I was so gripped by Bagley's novels I used to read them walking down the road. I was 12-13 years old at the time, so I'm not sure how well these would stand up to being read by an adult. And they are also somewhat dated, I'm sure, in the way Old Spice aftershave is. Nevertheless, within the confines of the genre, Bagley produced masterpieces and this is the one that stands out in my memory.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 7, 2012 9:32 AM BST

The Dreamland Chronicles: The strange and continuing saga of Area 51
The Dreamland Chronicles: The strange and continuing saga of Area 51
by David Darlington

3.0 out of 5 stars No answers but food for thought 3 and a half stars, 26 Jun 2007
Just what is going on in Area 51? This book doesn't purport to know the answer but rather than just present witness testimony and analyse it (which it does) this book also looks at the whole culture of UFOlogists and those living in the shadow of Area 51 so that the reader can place such things within context. The context is human psychology and the times we live in.

There's a fair amount of info. in here that casts reasonable doubt on the testimony of Bob Lazar. Alas, the author's excuse for not interviewing Bob Lazar personally is lame. Especially as the author likes to contextualise what someone says by revealing telling aspects of their behaviour. Even if Lazar said nothing new he could have told us details of his body language, how he held a spoon etc.

There is plenty in this book to give sceptics and believers ammo for their particular side of the argument. The only problem with this being a book that chronicles the goings on just outside Area 51, as much as it does in is that it slightly smacks of non-essential filler material, much of which is somewhat too freely borrowed from Glenn Campbell.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8