Profile for j blaylock > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Blood Sisters: The Hidden Lives of the Women Behind the Wars of the Roses
Blood Sisters: The Hidden Lives of the Women Behind the Wars of the Roses

5.0 out of 5 stars Fiesty women!, 24 April 2014
I really enjoyed this book, I've been interested in the "Cousins War" for some time, but this book brought together the stories
of a remarkable group of women. I'd read of them individually, but this put them very much more in context.
Well and clearly written and I ended up thankful that I'd not been around at the time to cross them.

The Boleyn Deceit (Anne Boleyn Trilogy Book 2)
The Boleyn Deceit (Anne Boleyn Trilogy Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars What fun to have a Henry IX, 24 April 2014
I very much enjoyed the first of this series, it being a very interesting idea.
The book is well written and one is never quite sure how the plot will unfold.
My only carp is the choice of names for the main characters, neither sound very English. I understand the writer's reasons for
this, but they tend to jar.
Very much looking forward to the final volume of the trilogy.

Knife Edge: Montgomery and the Battle of the Bulge
Knife Edge: Montgomery and the Battle of the Bulge

5.0 out of 5 stars Monty did more than I thought, 7 Dec. 2013
Well researched and new to me for I believed that the British part of the Battle of the Bulge was very slight, apart from ensuring
that the Germans would be unable to cross the Meuse.
We've been frequently told of Montgomery's arrival in a Union Flag bedecked Rolls Royce at US HQ, but then he drifts out of the story.
However, it turns out that he didn't do half bad.

Conscience of the King (Bello)
Conscience of the King (Bello)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great writer, 7 Dec. 2013
I haven't read any Duggan for decades, but thanks to my Kindle I was able to reacquaint myself with his wonderful writing.
Alfred Duggan has a knowledge and feel for history that many writers of this genre lack.

Winter in Madrid
Winter in Madrid

4.0 out of 5 stars The quality expected from this write., 7 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Winter in Madrid (Kindle Edition)
This is a very entertaining novel which also fills one in with details of an area of World War II which most of us
will be unfamiliar with.

Kindle Fire HD 7", HD Display, Wi-Fi, 16 GB - Includes Special Offers (Previous Generation - 3rd)

5.0 out of 5 stars Super buy, 7 Dec. 2013
I am delighted with my purchase and; without doubt, Amazon customer service is the best I've come across.
The Kindle Fire looks good and works better.
Thanks to the Kindles I've had my reading level has increased fifty percent because it is so light and convenient and the choice
of reading matter is so varied it's like being in library wonderland.

Flying Low
Flying Low

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read for those interested in military, or in this case, naval flying., 17 July 2013
This review is from: Flying Low (Kindle Edition)
Bryans tells a great tale. This book is a treasure trove of stories both funny and tragic. Some of the statistics he provides are very sobering.

An Ace of the Eighth: An American Fighter Pilot's Air War in Europe
An Ace of the Eighth: An American Fighter Pilot's Air War in Europe

4.0 out of 5 stars For students of the air war in WWII, 17 July 2013
Great stuff, I enjoyed every page and was very sorry to come to the last one.
Fortier flew both P-47's and P-51's and comes up with some very interesting stories.

The Wars of the Roses (CASSELL MILITARY PAPERBACKS)
The Wars of the Roses (CASSELL MILITARY PAPERBACKS)

5.0 out of 5 stars What a pity Neillands has passed on!, 17 July 2013
Robin Neillands was one of the finest military historians of modern times. He is capable of making the most complicated of situations understandable, and it doesn't get more complicated than the Wars of the Roses.

If Germany Won World War II
If Germany Won World War II

4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, 17 July 2013
Well conceived and probably fairly accurate - but who could tell, unless the nightmare had occurred. Perhaps someone from a parallel universe may turn up to let us know.

Page: 1 | 2