Profile for Lorretta > Reviews

Content by Lorretta

Lorretta (England)

Page: 1 | 2
What Have I Done? (No Greater Love)
What Have I Done? (No Greater Love)
by Amanda Prowse

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant utterly absorbing, 27 Aug. 2013
I had read somewhat mixed reviews about this book but decided to download it onto my Kindle anyway as it was very competitively priced. I am so glad I did, it is extremely well written and thought provoking. The characters are well drawn and the situation the main character Kate finds herself in is horrific yet plausible. Told with unflinching honesty I loved the fact that people on the "outside" who were unaware of Kate's situation were jealous of her. The author sums this up beautifully when she writes "For all it's beauty the room held fearsome associations for Kathryn. She was always taken aback when visitors made approving comments: she fully expected them to inhale the misery that lodged in every nook and cranny and would not have been surprised to see the oceans of tears she had cried seeping from the walls and the mattress forming pools on the floor"

Some of the scenes describing the violence inflicted on Kate are hard to read but overall this is a novel about finding ones true self and overcoming the worst possible obstacles life can throw at you.

BRILLIANT!

Shopping, Seduction & Mr Selfridge
Shopping, Seduction & Mr Selfridge

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly researched, 20 Feb. 2013
I love the current series on ITV and downloaded this onto my Kindle. This is a meticulously researched book that not only tells the life story of the extraordinarily Visionary Harry Selfridge but also charts the history, fashions and scandals throughout his lifetime. It was an extremely interesting book and I found it hard to put down. I am not usually fond of this genre but Harry makes for a very good story!

Before I Die
Before I Die
by Jenny Downham

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 1 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Before I Die (Paperback)
Teenagers are difficult, truculent, moody and challenging, add into this mix the fact that this particular teenager is terminally ill. Jenny Downham has written a beautifully sensitive, funny, sad and ultimately uplifting novel. The main character Tessa Scott is a typical teenager. But Tessa is dying and she is understandably angry about it. It would have been easy for Ms Downham to make the main character brave and uncomplaining but that just would not have been realistic. Some reviewers have said they found they could not sympathise with Tessa, well they must have hearts of stone. The fact that she is at times a monster makes her all the more believable, she is after all 15 years old! All of the characters in the book are really well drawn, in particular Tessa's Father. He is constantly looking on the internet for the latest cure, he is frustrated by his wilful daughter and doesn't understand her but his love for her shines through.The flighty Mum who finally gets drawn into her daughters life and illness. The loveable younger brother. The flirtatious and somewhat selfish best friend. And Adam, Tessa's boyfriend, interesting, sensitive and brave.
This is a remarkable debut novel. Beautifully written it deals with a very sensitive subject in a realistic way and never becomes mawkish or sacharine.
I, like so many others wept buckets at the end, but Tessa's indomnitable spirit lives on.

Dear Fatty
Dear Fatty
by Dawn French

4.0 out of 5 stars Reccommended, 29 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Dear Fatty (Hardcover)
I am not a big fan of Dawn French per se however I really did enjoy this book. I thought the style of writing (in the form of letters) was original and quirky. The letter dealing with her Fathers suicide was so eloquent and moving I was literally sobbing. All those unanswered questions, anyone who has experienced the loss of a loved one will relate to that. The only downside was the un-original and long winded jokes in letters to Jennifer Saunders. And I found the use of "Anyway, anyway, anyway" in these particular passages really irritating. Apart from that this is a good read from a lady who is very un-showbizzy and who obviously cares very deeply for her family and friends.

Shantaram
Shantaram
by Gregory David Roberts

1.0 out of 5 stars I perservered, 31 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Shantaram (Paperback)
There were many occasions when I just wanted to give up on this tripe but I perservered in the hope that this book would get better but alas it didn't and I feel that I wasted my time.
The prose is so sickly I was nearly reaching for the sick bucket. How any man could love Karla is beyond me, a cold, calculating and manipulative woman. Indeed the only character who was remotely likeable was Prabaker.
I am also surprised that the author, who constantly reminds us of just how intellectual he is, could be taken in by the despicable Khader Khan. This man was depicted as a great philosopher when in fact he was a criminal with no moral integrity whatsoever.
As for the author, well perhaps he should take some lessons in the art of modesty. I just couldn't warm to him and found myself not really caring what happened to him in the end.
All in all a very disapointing read.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2008 12:50 AM GMT

Stay
Stay
Offered by MEDIA-MOST-WANTED

2.0 out of 5 stars I am surprised, 15 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Stay (Audio CD)
Mmmmm I am surprised that this album has got an average review of 4.5 stars out of a possible 5. The reason is, having been a Simply Red fan for more years than I care to remember, their last few albums have failed to deliver for me. Yes I agree that Mick Hucknell has one of the best voices in the universe but that in itself does not redeem this offering. I much prefer the old style Simply Red, the more political and hard edged sound. The best track on the album is Debris which was written by Ronnie Lane, the other tracks written by Hucknell and various other collaborators are quite simply bland.

The Interpretation of Murder
The Interpretation of Murder
by Jed Rubenfeld

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull, 15 Aug. 2007
Like many other reviewers on amazon I am afraid I too fell for the hype surrounding this book. I have to say I found this book really dull with the constant references to Hamlet annoying and unessescary. It most certainly wasn't a page turner and I struggled to finish it. In fact the only reason I perservered was that I was on holiday with not a lot else to read. (Note to self - take more books next time) The plot was thin, the characters stereotyped and the revelation of who the villain was,laughable.

The Kite Runner
The Kite Runner
by Khaled Hosseini

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Moving, 12 Aug. 2007
This review is from: The Kite Runner (Paperback)
I read the Kite Runner after having read Hosseini's second book, A Thousand Splendid Suns. I found the Kite Runner to be beautifully written, very moving and utterly engrossing. However having said that, his second book does seem to have a more mature style and a more beleiveable plot. Don't let that put you off reading the Kite Runner though, because whilst not as good as his second novel it is still an excellent read.

Relentless
Relentless
by Simon Kernick
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

1.0 out of 5 stars Dross, 5 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Relentless (Mass Market Paperback)
I purchased this book as it did have some excellent reviews however I found it to be utter rubbish. The plot is full of holes, the characters unbelivable and unsympathetic. I found that I couldn't care less what happened to any of them. If you are a discerning reader give it a miss.

A Thousand Splendid Suns
A Thousand Splendid Suns
by Khaled Hosseini

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 5 Aug. 2007
This is a truly amazing novel. The way in which it is written is concise yet beautiful. I was deeply moved by the story of Laila and Mariam and also fascinated by the historical landscape of Afghanistan. This is the best book I have read in a very, very long time. I would highly reccommend this to everyone. Khaled Hosseini is a truly gifted writer.

Page: 1 | 2