Profile for Jane > Reviews

How to Bake
How to Bake
by Paul Hollywood

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Present, 21 Feb. 2013
This review is from: How to Bake (Hardcover)
This was a birthday present for my husband, so far all the recipes he has followed have worked out really well. The photos that accompany some of the more tricky instruction are clear and very useful. I would recommend this book to any chap or chappess who wants to start home baking.

Medical Carrycase
Medical Carrycase

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and rather nasty, 21 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Medical Carrycase (Toy)
I bought this for my medicine mad 3 year old son, while I wasn't expecting any of the kit to actually work, I wasn't expecting them to be so easy for a small boy to take apart. The only thing that has survived the 8 weeks since intact since christmas is the carry case.

Hot Shots II
Hot Shots II

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Shot, 8 Mar. 2004
This review is from: Hot Shots II (Audio CD)
I bought this album in the local record shop's closing down sale purely on the strength of a snippet of "Dry The Rain" in High Fidelity (the film) I couldn't find a copy of the 3EPs so took a chance on this, after all at £3 I couldn't go wrong.
Boy, that was a canny £3 spent. This album is a warm and human coherent body of work just right for lazy, blissful, summer evenings. I can't fault any particular track thou my favourite is Al Sharp with it's harmonies, however I find it difficult to list favourites with this Album as I tend to end up with 10.
If you do not already have any work by the Beta Band and are tempted to take a punt I would recommend to start here first, I found 3EPs (which I bought after loving this album), too self indulgent and incoherent, twiddley electronic noise for the sake of it is not big, nor is it clever, nor is it new. The BBC radiophonic workshop has been doing electronic music for years and are better at it. Oh and get the High Fidelity soundtrack for Dry the Rain - it is rather good.

Il Postino [DVD] [1995]
Il Postino [DVD] [1995]
Dvd ~ Massimo Troisi
Offered by babsbargains *** WORLDWIDE SHIPPING ***

5.0 out of 5 stars I went to Chile on the strength of this film, 6 Mar. 2004
This review is from: Il Postino [DVD] [1995] (DVD)
A brillient, moving film. My boyfriend had to study it for his A level Italian, he doesn't normally do "art" films but it captured him so much that when we had the chance to visit either Argentina or Chile we had to go to Chile so that we could go to Pablo Neruda's house by the pacific.
The b'friend made me buy the film I'm glad he did, the interplay between the characters is sublime, the acting fantastic. I would recommend this film to anyone looking at this review.

Closer
Closer

5.0 out of 5 stars Beauty, Sheer Beauty, 1 Mar. 2004
This review is from: Closer (Audio CD)
I won't try to describe the Album to you, others here have done it better, I will try to describe how it made me felt and how it makes me feel today.
This is probably the most moving album I have in my collection from the feel of the LP,yes I have it in vinyl - heavy, a presence like the old Beatles albums my Grandma gave me to the music to the sound record has had a lasting effect on me.
Why? because of the solemnity, because of the beauty and grandeur of the music and lyrics; dark yes depressing no. It has made me think, made me feel uplifted, made me pensive.
Unkown Pleasures was very good but this record was sublime. From the haunting Love Will Tear Us Apart to the dark Dance of Heart And Soul, I can't think of a thing to say that is negative.
So if you are looking at this review, you are probably thinking about buying the CD. I'll give 4 reasons why you should:-
It's only £8, you can afford it, it will a worth while investment. You knows it makes sense.
It's sheer beauty, I can't describe it properly, but from cover to music it was all thought through with love and care.
If you have a single "alternative" record in your collection, almost certainly the band that made that recording owe a debt to Joy Division and this, their finest product.
And if you, if you, have even the slightest pretention to being alternative/indie/goth/non-chart-pap music fan you will have credibility with no one until this nestles in your collection.

B.R.M.C.
B.R.M.C.
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Music To Feel Young Too, 1 Mar. 2004
This review is from: B.R.M.C. (Audio CD)
I was a bit late to Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, The business of being a fully paid up adult got in the way. Sure I heard one of the singles from this Album on the radio but they sort of passed me by. Taking advantage of a closing down sale at the local record shop I decided to buy, being a sucker for pictures of moody artists on album covers being the deciding factor.
Gosh, I'm pleased I was, yes they are indebted to JAMC, but seeing as one can't have too much feedback in my book that is no bad thing. However what blew me away about this album was the fact it made me feel young! I wanted to go into the closet dig out my old leather jacket and fringed skirts, dye my hair black again, and make love to a razor cheeked man.
From the reviews I've read on the 'net, they do take themselves far too seriously and it has to be said they are not doing anything particulary new but, bless, they do it well. So if you are a fan of feedback, JAMC and a less than straight forward look on pop/rock, go out and buy or just click on the button. If, God forbid, you don't own at least one of the Mary Chain's albums buy pschocandy at the same time.

Doolittle
Doolittle

5.0 out of 5 stars The Pixies Album, 15 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Doolittle (Audio CD)
When I was young, I bought this record, my first CD, that was 15 years years ago. Dolittle is still as fresh, witty, violent and provocative now as it was then. Possibly one of the best ever recording made, I would recommend Dolittle to anyone who knows that the point of pop music is to annoy their parents. (I would argue that the pixies are pop music, it is the current pap in the charts that is wrong and sick) Gouge Away!