Profile for elise lindsel > Reviews

On the Theory and Practice of art-Enamelling Upon Metals
On the Theory and Practice of art-Enamelling Upon Metals
by H. H.. Cunynghame

5.0 out of 5 stars stepping back into history, 15 Oct 2012
There are facsimiles of this book readily and cheaply available, but they shall not have the smell,the history in the many penciled prices as the book is offered for resale through the years.
My copy is from 1906 [and clearly a "second," as it has mis-cut pages which no-one has tidied up with scissors] so has a chapter on the kiln designed by the author. Some of the photographic illustrations are in colour.
Its dedication is to William Holman Hunt, "As a Tribute to his Genius and a Memento of a friendship extending over many years"
It is always interesting with a book of this age to find out where the book falls open. Mine falls open in the section on griseille.
In his opening, the author responds to being taken to task for criticizing mass production articles by saying some things can only be made that way. Mass production had barely started!
This is the book upon which many Arts and Craft enamelers should have relied, along with Herbert Maryon's book, "Metalwork an Enameling." For the sake of history, a first edition is not as desirable as a later one, with its many accommodations made in response to suggestions and comments made about the earlier versions. The author comes over as a humane person concerned to do right, to educate. Evening classes had started just 2 decades before to enable "workers" to have access to the arts through making and through the V and A museum.
To see what was achieved through use of this book, go to the "Van Den Bosch" website. Jan Van Den Bosch and his wife, Carola, are the foremost dealers and enthusiasts for such enamels, and all Arts and Crafts period jewellery and silver and arts of the period, and and are based in London, Grey's Arcade, near Bond Street tube station.[behind Crossrail's excavations]It is a wonderful website with an archive.

Wiro Sketchbook. 26cm x 28cm Black Smooth Wirebound
Wiro Sketchbook. 26cm x 28cm Black Smooth Wirebound
Offered by Fred Aldous Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars not a toy!, 7 Oct 2012
I purchased this to showcase photos of my work, and give,the "added value," of the luxury of khadi paper.
I am satisfied, [except with the penalty of the postage and packaging which seems to have been £6.00 as the item has a sticker with a price just over a £1 pound cheaper than the price listed on Amazon]as the pages are thick and ideal for mounting photographs and the proportions are unusual for what is described as a sketchbook but suited to photos/ mounting scraps of working drawings.
Described as, "smooth," it is only as smooth as khadi paper can be, so has, "tooth"
Each page has a deckle edge on the side opposite the binding.
The pages do have dirty white, .8 of a centimeter long, flecks of rag where the black/charcoal grey dye has not taken. This is a demerit as it is not attractive, hence the loss of a star.
Fred Aldous's packaging is ideal in which to store the item.
I was anxious spending so much without being sure that it should suffice for my needs.
I would fully recommend this product for the above purpose, except for the white flecks. It may be better to find one that can be examined before purchase, as I shall do.

Bringing a Small Claims Action: How to represent yourself in court - and win your case (Essentials)
by Navroza Ladha

1.0 out of 5 stars book older than current laws, 7 Oct 2012
This very slim booklet is too out of date, published back in 2002, to be of any use to anyone.

Sourcingmap a11120200ux0224 Cabinet Cupboard Double Round Head Magnetic Catch Latch, Off-White
Offered by sourcingmap

1.0 out of 5 stars No fixing screws included, 16 Aug 2012
I ordered from Amazon as I live in a rural area to save the cost, time and trouble of sourcing the item in a shop, an infrequent bus-ride away.
To do so would take more than a morning.
NO FIXING SCREWS WERE PROVIDED.
I might just as well have bought it from a shop: I now have to find time to make that journey, with it, to buy a packet of fixing screws that shall cost the same as having the item sent, and I shall have to judge the correct size /type by sight.
It was pointless to get this item through Amazon.
If one has to shop for screws, one would be better off getting a bubble pack item with the correct screws included: it would be cheaper.
Although it arrived undamaged, the packaging relies upon air sealed-in with the product to protect it in transit from Germany.
Otherwise,it is as good a quality as one can get, not flimsy,[the make is "Meitian"]and is acceptably priced for a delivered item. I should have given 5 stars but for the non-inclusion of 4 fixing screws, which are customarily provided/available in a shop. Having waited for its delivery, I now have to wait until I can get screws before it can be put in use: disappointing.

Dictionary of Word Origins
Dictionary of Word Origins
by L. Flavell

4.0 out of 5 stars Can anybody help?, 14 Aug 2012
I have only glanced inside at one word, " ostracise."
I had understood from my schooldays, 50+ years ago, that this word was derived from the Greek for "oyster"; that votes were made on plentiful, and otherwise useless,oyster shells.
I had assumed this useful practice had died out with the lack of oysters interfering with democratic rights.
This book says that the word derives from the Greek for, "potsherd" [the"sherd" I remember as being Arabic for "pot"; is "shard" related?]
If so, there is no reason, whatsoever, to not bring back ostracism: with arthritis I find I create more potsherds than I could possibly use.
Can anyone expand on this, please?
Excuse me while I dig in further: "hoodlum,"due to a type-setter's error with the name,"Muldoon,"spelt backwards.

1000 Erotic Works of Genius (Book Series)
1000 Erotic Works of Genius (Book Series)
by Hans-Jurgen Dopp

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality doorstop, 11 Aug 2012
This is a quality reference/source book, printed upon thick art paper.The illustrations have a darkness with a resultant loss of detail but this darkness emphasises the human form, which is what the book is about. From the quality of the printing, this would seem to be intentional.This does mean colour rendition is adversley affected.
Being nearly 7 inches by under 9 inches,and just over 2 inches thick, it is small enough to sit by one's work area,if used as a source book. There are up to 3 illustrations on each page, with minimal text.It is printed by Parkstone Press International, New York, ISBN 978-1-84484-462-3.

Daylight Black Desk Lamp D33041 with Energy Saving Daylight Tube
Daylight Black Desk Lamp D33041 with Energy Saving Daylight Tube
Offered by sewing-online

5.0 out of 5 stars Will it last? Yes, 10 Aug 2012
I did not get my lamps from Amazon, but I am leaving this review in case it might be of help to someone. I am aware that without the help I received, I should not have found or tried these products.
My first Daylight Company desk light was given to me by Taunton's Musgrove Hospital,low vision eye clinic, arranged by my sight-worker, some 8 years ago.
The difference it made was so great I bought more. They are too heavy for me to move around.
6 original florescent tubes have now failed in as many months after some 6 to 8 years of daily use; one used on a timer, and on for 10 hours a day,for a number of years, another on for at least 8 hours. I use no other lights.

I have ordered replacement tubes from the RNIB as they are much cheaper than elsewhere. You do not need to qualify as blind to make purchases from the RNIB which also stocks the lights. This can be done over the phone.
The Daylight Company support line is second to none.I needed to know how to change the tube.
The staff speak a number of languages.
The Daylight Company also make a light for professional artists to clamp to an easel or designer's/architect's desk with the special light parallel to the picture.
"Access to Work," supplied me with an Ultrasharp computer monitor because of the vision difficulties I had. Without my Ultrasharp laptop I should not be typing this, nor have attempted to access Amazon's site.Ultrsharp is a trademark of one of the well-known computer manufacturers.
Short daylight days had been something to dread because of the imposed inactivity.
These items have made the difference between my being frustrated, exasperated and angry with myself, and being able to just get on with things.

Cases, Materials, and Commentary on the European Convention on Human Rights
Cases, Materials, and Commentary on the European Convention on Human Rights
by Alastair Mowbray

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a content review., 6 Aug 2012
Not a content review.
There are quality control and delivery time-scale issues with this when purchased as a new book. I was unable to obtain a new book within the claimed time by two sellers specialising in law books. Pages of the one book received a month after ordering were not readable and were torn due to having been scrunched-up in the printing process. Other pages had thin areas. The seller denied this was the case and asserted that the book had been checked before dispatch. Large areas of text are printed with a medium dark grey background colour, which may pose difficulties for some readers, instead of the customary, lighter grey used in other books.The size of the book for the paperback price is better than many law books.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Jakar Metric Templates Even Ellipse
Jakar Metric Templates Even Ellipse
Offered by Artclub

5.0 out of 5 stars This is not a toy. It is a first rate template., 6 Aug 2012
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This Jakar ellipse template is equivalent in quality to any dearer template, such as Linux, or Plantec. It is highly flexible and thin. Other Jakar templates are [currently]considerably cheaper on Ebay, than from sellers on Amazon. I have gone on to buy others, based upon Jakar's quality and price. Jakar is an American made product. Jakar have their own UK website which illustrates the full range,[17 in all?] which includes a number of well thought-out ones for specific trades such as for architects and landscape architects.

Glanzstucke: Emilie Floge Und Der Schmuck Der Wiener Werkstatte: Emilie Flöge und der Schmuck der Wiener Werkstätte
by Paul Asenbaum

5.0 out of 5 stars A Glorious Picture Book!, 28 July 2012
If you missed getting the book of the exhibition of Wiener Werkstatte Jewelry at the American gallery exhibition, 2,008, which is now out of print, this has most of the same images. It is packed with them, much enlarged,sumptuous,and better presented, on high quality paper. The text is only in German, unlike other books from this publisher on jewellery. I do not understand German, but I did not care. If you go to the American gallery's website you can see some of the images and background information:
[ ... ]
[the spelling error is in the URL: I copied and pasted]
Enjoy!
Emilie Floge was fashion designer and, "important other," of Gustav Klimt, who trained as a goldsmith. His father and brother were goldsmiths. Both died, within a short time of each other, leaving Klimt devastated. Klimt lived with his mother and sister, was a cat-lover, and did not marry. He was not celibate.
I wish I could read about Emilie Floge, shown wearing the jewellery, and selling it through her fashion salon, in a Koloman Moser vitrine.
Perhaps someone who reads German can do a review on the text.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5