Profile for elise lindsel > Reviews

French for Cats: All the French Your Cat Will Ever Need
French for Cats: All the French Your Cat Will Ever Need
by Henry Beard

4.0 out of 5 stars slim volume of gentle humour, 25 Jan 2013
The booklet is fun, and shall divert me for an hour or so, and provide me with too many quotes for me to repeat, here.
If you or your cat should need to say, in French, "the cute but stupid little furry thing," it is within this book, and if your cat needs to politely inquire, in French,where you wish it to be deposited, that translation is therein, also.
"A little privacy, please," requires the formality of 13 words from a French cat while it is under duress, its legs crossed, on the, "boite du chat."
The illustrations in colour and black and white show a dog-faced cat, possibly a bulldog hybrid.
[note for author: something is either durable or it is not; the word cannot be qualified by a cat or human being: "le petit plat en cristal rempli de bonbons," was not durable as an item of, "grande valeur pour le jeu."]

French Cats Don't Get Fat: The Secrets of La Cuisine Feline
French Cats Don't Get Fat: The Secrets of La Cuisine Feline
by Henry Beard

3.0 out of 5 stars gentle humour in a book that is too slender, 24 Jan 2013
The gentle humour in this slim volume provides a French finishing school education for cats. Some of the advice on posture could be taken-up by the female human reader, as should, "don't sulk, smoulder!"
Less achievable is compliance with the admonition that the impression left on a sofa should be a faint, dainty imprint, not a bomb crater.
The booklet is illustrated, throughout, in pastel watercolours.
It gave me 15 minutes diversion.
I realised that my adored, and adoring, black feral cat, had all these accomplishments for her 18 years: it was just her meows that sounded frightfully common, as was her appetite for smoked cockles in her later years.
The recommended menu includes:-
Ratatouille
Vole au Vent
Mouse au Chocolat
Moles Marinieres
Chickadee Fricassee
Shrewffle,
and the advice that a goldfish is excellent as sushi. Preparation requires all ingredients to first be tossed, and little else, except for shredding.

Dreamland Starlight Single Bed Size Washable Heated Mattress Cover
Dreamland Starlight Single Bed Size Washable Heated Mattress Cover

1.0 out of 5 stars written at 3a,m., 13 Jan 2013
I purchased this product 21 June, 2,012. I checked, then, to see that it worked.
Now I wish I had not purchased this one, which I did because of the brand name, but now feel it is to be avoided.
I am writing this product review at 3 a.m.because, yet again, I have had to get up to re-fit the mattress cover. [I am a pensioner and not a restless sleeper] This mattress cover developed uncomfortable and permanent deep creases across the wiring from the first night in use. It has a strange smell of bicarbonate of soda when switched on. I suppose this is a fire resistant treatment. There is no extra foot warmth; the wiring is spaced evenly, my feet freeze. It should be sold with bed-socks. It gives poor all-night heat.I am dreading the onset of the below freezing weather forecast for this weekend, onwards.
The switch is excellent both in quality and design, but that is not going to keep me warm. I do not know if I can get any use from the mattress cover as an over-blanket; it shall be too narrow but it would avoid the nightly readjustment and the uncomfortable creases. I am now going to look for an alternative, and another make. I consider I wasted my money.

It is now 1 February, 2,014. The, well-designed for arthritic fingers, control stopped working 2 nights ago. It is undamaged. The control lights-up and gets warm, but the blanket remains cold.
The blanket/mattress-cover [see above] has had little use, being used as a back-up when my other, very elderly but reliable, smaller blanket is being washed and drip-dried.
I shall update this review when I get the manufacturer's response.
Notably, there is a market on eBay for working controls [without the blanket] of various Dreamland items.
Reviews on the internet of electric under blankets, mattress covers, and heated throws do specify control problems are a problem. This seems to apply generally, not just to Dreamland.

4 Drawer Mini Storage Trays Small Office Desk Top Organiser Jewellery Craft Box
4 Drawer Mini Storage Trays Small Office Desk Top Organiser Jewellery Craft Box

1.0 out of 5 stars can be bought at the pound shop!, 11 Dec 2012
The four drawer version was available for years from "The Pound Shop"
It has now been reduced to 3 drawers for a pound.
The whole thing slots together and pulls apart so that one can stack several sets, minus the leftover tops.
The frames of the last ten, 4 drawer version I purchased soon crumbled -- presumably made from recycled degradable plastic. Since then, I have not bought any.
The drawers are useless without the frame so I discarded the lot.
The ones I bought years ago are still fine.

Beaded Bugs: Make 30 Butterflies, Beetles, Moths and other Cute Critters
Beaded Bugs: Make 30 Butterflies, Beetles, Moths and other Cute Critters
by Nicola Tedman

5.0 out of 5 stars Entomologist's dream, 22 Nov 2012
When I was a child, my Victorian and Edwardian great aunts and aunts made butterflies from wired beads, on long stems, to put amongst artificial and real flowers. I was fascinated by the dragonfly; the use of clear beads to give the transparent effect of its wings, with the wire showing through adding to the lacy effect. Fuse wire was then used.
This book has some 30 designs as accurate as beads allow; all appear to have been made by different people who give the materials needed and provide a coloured layout plan of the beads, like a tapestry plan, as well as instructions with clear, drawn illustrations of each stage.
There are no spiders included amongst the insects to deter arachnophobes.
There is no page of suppliers, but the internet has probably made this redundant.
I would suggest looking-up Rock n' Gem, and Rock n' Bead shows: these are held all through the UK, throughout the year, often at racecourses, all with more than adequate, onsite parking, and the stall-holders all seem to be a font of knowledge. Prices seem much lower than anywhere else, and you get to examine the goods before buying. All suppliers seem to do a postal service once you have the confidence about what you will get through the post.
Had I not wanted this book for a Christmas present, [unfortunately, now not possible, as too creased in the post] I should have saved myself the postage and have purchased it from one of Rock n' Gem's sellers. All the fairs, whatever the title, have glass beads, books, tools, and enthusiasm. They are very happy, friendly affairs. [Did I make a pun?]

Living Afloat
Living Afloat
by C.Valerie Lee

3.0 out of 5 stars slender volume for the published price, 20 Nov 2012
This review is from: Living Afloat (Paperback)
I had this cheaply through Amazon or I should be unhappy at the price.
It was published in 2007,by the Residential Boat Owners Association, 96 pages, yet has photos of interiors that look like they are from the 60's; trying to get a country-cottage-look in a boat: the clutter shown was horrendous, enough to put anyone off wanting to live on a boat. However, they were images of the narrowest of narrow boats, and little wider, wide-beam boats, in multiple occupation.
What it does do is to establish that even with a houseboat purchased outright,[if it has been built to not move, no VAT, otherwise........] the inescapable weekly outgoings of moorings [by the foot], council tax, compulsory £2,000,000 insurance, BSS [certificate of seaworthiness], license to be on the water, come to more than my weekly basic state pension!
The RBOA book does touch on working and running a business from one's moated home; another license or two needed.
I am sulking as I write this from feeling thwarted so bear in mind this review is coming from a grumpy pensioner.
It is the purpose of the booklet to bring reality into the picture.It does provide, "Useful Contacts and Glossary." It goes into nothing in an enough detail so that one can begin to make informed choice. It was like having a Chinese meal when one wanted the stodge of mushy peas and chips, and desert, and cheese, and chocolate covered mints, and conversation. It is probably a more convenient start than searching the internet.

For the same publisher price, "Living Aboard," by Nick Corble and Allan Ford seemed not only better value, at 143 pages, but covered the same areas in more detail and, additionally, covered the wide range of boats that could be adapted to be lived on, so that I had a good idea what I wanted by the time I had got through it.

The Party Blonde and Other Social Stereotypes from the "Telegraph Magazine"
The Party Blonde and Other Social Stereotypes from the "Telegraph Magazine"
by Victoria Mather

5.0 out of 5 stars Such fun, 15 Nov 2012
I ordered all the Social Stereotypes books; the whole series for about the cost of 2 new ones!
They are all in spiffing order.
I found Chaucer, and Skeat's commentaries on his work, in the library before my school could interfere with my education. Thus, I have had a lifelong love of the way he captures a person's character in a few lines.
Had Chaucer been writing his Prologue to the Canterbury Tale, today, he should have put all of the characters of these books into his writings.
Fortunately, the authoress and illustrator[ess]of this series realized that by dying some centuries ago, he had missed the chance to do so, and, with diligence, have rectified matters, and for ease of comprehension have written in modern English.
If you feel the need for trying to read these vignettes in middle English, just use Google's translator to change the text into any other language then back again.

[Chaucer was held to be the father of the written English language so must bear some responsibility for the development of Amazon's spell-checker remorselessly attempting to Americanize my spelling and for the opportunity of infinitives to split!]

Storage Cart With 10 Drawers 15.5"Lx13"Wx38"H Multi Color SC10-MC
Storage Cart With 10 Drawers 15.5"Lx13"Wx38"H Multi Color SC10-MC
Offered by BIC WAREHOUSE

3.0 out of 5 stars wobbly; 2 knobs missing, 13 Nov 2012
It is supposed to take 3 pounds weight in each drawer. Mine has nowhere near that, yet the storage cart is too unstable to wheel anywhere; it leans. It came with 2 drawer knobs missing.
I fell for the rainbow colors. Unfortunately, I purchased through someone else, not then having access to Amazon, and did not feel I could get them to send it back.
If you are considering buying it, check-out the American Amazon site reviews.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 27, 2014 4:41 PM GMT

Alphabets Old And New
Alphabets Old And New
by Lewis F. Day

5.0 out of 5 stars Holding history in one's hands, 19 Oct 2012
This review is from: Alphabets Old And New (Hardcover)
This book should have been the source material from 1905, its publication date, onwards, for many Arts and Crafts era work using alphabets and numerals.
The list of other books of the era, also source books, advertised at the back is as interesting as the alphabets, themselves. Whoever Richard was, the name drawn with a fine dip-pen, inside, he had a preference for Italianate scripts from the 15th and 14th century, for this is where the book falls open.It has no indication of another owner, nor of having been sold on.It has been cared for-- valued through the years.
Walter Crane's design for an alphabet, Bailey Scott Murphy's one, and a Wiener Werkstatte alphabet are amongst so many others on over 200 hundred pages of alphabets and numerals.[ Who was Otto Hupp?]
A facsimile is better than nothing, but an original is so much more.

On the theory and practice of art-enamelling upon metals ... With illustrations
On the theory and practice of art-enamelling upon metals ... With illustrations

5.0 out of 5 stars 1899 edition, 17 Oct 2012
This 1899 edition has fifty fewer pages than the one of 1906 which I have already eulogised/reviewed [sort of]--135 pages against 187.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5