Profile for Mr. S. Smith > Reviews

INTEL WIRELESS WiFi 4965AGN 802.11N MINI PCI-E CARD NETWORK ADAPTER
INTEL WIRELESS WiFi 4965AGN 802.11N MINI PCI-E CARD NETWORK ADAPTER
Offered by am24okbuy

5.0 out of 5 stars If your laptop supports this, don't hesitate., 13 Feb. 2015
I bought this to put into my Dell D630 laptop. Well worth the upgrade. I was able to get speedtest results of about 35-40Mbit with the old card. Upgrading to this one now gives results of nearly 160Mbit, and I'm sure on a local network it could be even faster. Install is a little bit fiddly with the three tiny antenna leads but that's no big deal. Highly recommended.

Sony Protective Hard Shell Case Cover for Xperia T by Made for Xperia - Black
Sony Protective Hard Shell Case Cover for Xperia T by Made for Xperia - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars A neat stylish way to keep your Xperia T in tip top order., 6 Aug. 2014
Does what it sets out to do, basically.

It fits my Xperia T well, it doesn't get in the way of any of the buttons, and has protected it admirably from numerous drops and scuffs since I've had it. Pair this with a screen protector and you don't do a great deal better without those cases that turn the phone into a pocket-brick. Well worth the money.

The ExecutionerTM Fly Swat Wasp Bug Mosquito Swatter Zapper
The ExecutionerTM Fly Swat Wasp Bug Mosquito Swatter Zapper

4.0 out of 5 stars Far better than the type often sold in petrol stations and supermarkets., 6 Aug. 2014
I've had fly swatter/zapper devices before, but I must admit this one stands above the others. Larger for starters, and packs a hell of a punch. Waving this about at night, the flashes and cracks are loud enough to make most users jump.

The other bonus with this is it just has a flat array of bars, rather than a three-layer grid like some of the cheaper ones have. That means it's easier to dispatch insects on the wall for example, because there's no depth to the electrified area.

So yeah, does what it says on the tin, pretty much.

The only thing to be wary of is that it does carry a charge on the grid if you've not swatted anything, even after you release the button. You'll get a surprising shock if you touch the grid at least within a minute or so. I've not tested how long it takes for the power to go, but it's not instant. Bear that in mind if you're using one of these with kiddies around. There's no enough power there to be dangerous, really (I mean heck they run off two AAs), but the voltage is enough to give you quite a jolt, and Little Timmy definitely won't appreciate it.

The way I get around this is just short it against something metal, a spoon, edge of a drinks can, something like that after I've let the button go. Don't be afraid about doing this, the electricity is trying to go from bar to bar on the grid not into you, so you can hold the spoon or can while you do it no problem. That banishes the hidden surprises perfectly adequately.

Other than that, a great little device, for not much cash.

Lockwood & Co: The Screaming Staircase: Book 1 (Lockwood & Co 1)
Lockwood & Co: The Screaming Staircase: Book 1 (Lockwood & Co 1)
by Jonathan Stroud

5.0 out of 5 stars At the sort of quality level the Bartimaeus Sequence taught us to expect, 17 April 2014
I read through this in only a few days, and I must say I loved it. As previous reviewers have stated, The Screaming Staircase manages to place itself squarely in the seemingly impossible position of being generally light and quite humorous in places, but also able to be quite frightening even within a single paragraph at times.

The images he conjures during some of the more tense sequences really are very effective. Put it this way - this book could quite easily be made into quite a creepy film if they stayed true to the depictions of the 'Visitors' as they're portrayed in the book.

It manages to inject the humour that I've known before from Jonathan Stroud, though admittedly perhaps not as laugh out loud funny as Bart is at times.

The protagonist is very likeable in this, which to me is something that you need. There's no point having the reader follow someone who they can't muster any real emotion over, one way or the other. No problems at all here.

One thing is for sure though, if after reading the Bartimaeus Sequence, you were disappointed with Heroes of the Valley, worry not; Jonathan Stroud is back.

Engenius EUB9603H router WiFi 150MBPS USB 2.0 Black
Engenius EUB9603H router WiFi 150MBPS USB 2.0 Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. Look no further if you're suffering from connection problems., 28 Jan. 2013
If you have a high speed connection and you're trying to connect over Wifi you might have problems. I moved house and went from a 1.6Mbit connection up to nearly 90Mbit, and what I thought was a perfectly adequate wifi arrangement was proven to be no use at all at the higher speed, with the connection being dropped, and the speed being very low indeed. I tried a USB dongle type adapter with similar sort of problems.

The trouble is, not many people have internet connections much faster than 20 or 30Mbit, and so they don't experience the troubles with the connection, and how incredibly picky the antenna placement has to be when dealing with the higher speeds.

With my existing setup, the best I ever managed to get was about 25Mbit, no matter where I positioned the antenna. Along with that I had problems with the connection dropping out and just general instability.

Enter left, the EnGenius EUB9603H. Connection speed went immediately from 25Mbit up to 86Mbit. I couldn't believe the improvement, it was just beyond belief. That and the sheer range of the thing. I didn't buy it for range but the number of networks my computer could now detect in the local area was just phenomenal.

The only caveat with this device is that the cable is rather short, and you do need two USB plugs to power it. But the performance increase you get if you're struggling just has to be seen to be believed.

As well as that if you need even greater range, the antenna is removable and you can replace it with an antenna of your choice a directional one, high gain, whatever you like.

Effortless installation, and fanstatic performance. Couldn't recommend enough.

One thing I will say though, shop around. I got mine for £26.

Dumb and Dumber (Uncut) [DVD] [1994]
Dumb and Dumber (Uncut) [DVD] [1994]
Dvd ~ Jim Carrey
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Take the time to find a copy of the original cut on DVD. It's out there and in my opinion it'll be time well spent., 23 Jan. 2013
Dumb and Dumber Uncut. For a while I was afraid that this was the only version they were ever going to release on DVD, and then joy of joys I spotted the original version on DVD and grabbed it as soon as I could. Prior to that I thought I'd have to stick with my trusty old Laserdisc copy.

The problem with Dumb and Dumber Uncut is that the Farrelly Brothers knew what they were doing when they edited the original version of the film. The cut bits were cut for a reason. I'm not often bothered about the uncut versions of films I certainly don't tend to think that they take anything away from the theatrical versions, they're just there as something for people to get if they want.

Unfortunately though, in my opinion the Uncut version does affect subsequent viewings of the original. That is my clear warning before you go out and watch this if you have fond memories of the original. Beware spoilers from here on in, etc etc...

The problem is the character portrayals. In the original, there are two characters in Lloyd and Harry that we basically know reasonably well, their drives and personalities are fairly self evident, and that's good. The Uncut version, with Lloyd at least paints quite a different picture. Rather than the lovable buffoonish character that Lloyd is in the original, in the Uncut version he gains a somewhat more creepy, weird side that isn't altogether likeable. It's only a few extended scenes and lines of dialogue, but it's enough to make you stop short when you think you know (or at least remember) the character reasonably well. You don't root for him in the Uncut version to the degree you do in the original, and that was what made the film so good at times.

I'm not the only person with that opinion, I know, and I'm also aware that all the above said, some will watch it and enjoy it as much as anyone ever has.

More generally, the extra scenes aren't particularly funny when compared to anything else (possibly why they were cut), and some of them are longish, and overall a little bit pointless, they don't add anything to it. All they do is make the pacing of the film slower and less polished than it should be at times. Again, the Farrelly Brothers have made top quality comedy, they knew what they were doing. Some films don't need their discarded celluloid dusting off and slotting back into the picture.

Of course, all of the above is just my own opinion, feel free to ignore me, tell me to go to hell, whatever. But I will say that (the original version of) Dumb and Dumber is one of my top ten favourite films ever, and would be a no hesitation five-star recommendation. That's the only reason the Uncut version ticked me off so much.

In summary, in my opinion the extra scenes take away considerably more than they add, and what they do take away you remember the next time you watch it. Avoid this, stick to the original.

Steve.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 16, 2014 10:25 AM BST

Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman - 910-000810
Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman - 910-000810

4.0 out of 5 stars A few things to note before spending the cash on this one..., 3 Oct. 2012
I've used the Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman for probably approaching seven years now, as it is still the only trackball on the market that offers fingertip (not thumb) control, a scrollwheel, and forward/back buttons. And it's still the same one, now looking somewhat tatty, but working fine.

I want to highlight one issue that I've been seeing develop, having recommended this trackball to a few people. Because of the length of time I've had mine, it seems the model you can now buy is one that Logitech have done some updates to, and not just the colour. Mine is the silver and navy blue model, not the grey and black that now seems to be available. Unfortunately, it seems as though Logitech have cheapened out on this trackball over the years, and resorted to using lower quality materials. The number of reviews I've seen that have said the left click has worn out has astonished me. Out of curiosity I disassembled my seven year old trackball the other day and found a slight bit of wear, but -nothing- like the wear that a lot of people are expereiencing on the new one, often within a year.

So basically if you're liking the sound of the reviews for this product, take the time to find yourself one of the older model, and not this grey and black one, because they wear out. Fast. In function and feel they're identical, so you're not losing out on getting the older model. It'll just likely last a lot longer.

Otherwise my review will basically echo what others have said.

This trackball is a nice size to use, and its feature set is even now unique, so if you find that it's a feature set that appeals, this is the only option. Finger operated, proper (not software-based twist-the-ball or some such method) scroll wheel, and programmable buttons.

The achilles heel of this trackball though is the wireless. Dear me, the wireless. Why why WHY Logitech thought this thing would be better off being wireless is anybody's guess. For one thing, it's a trackball. By definition they don't need to move. They sit in one spot on the desk, that's the whole idea. Having to drag a wire around is a complete non-issue. Giving a trackball wireless, particularly a large trackball like this one is sort of like supplying a mouse mat with it. Frankly, a bit silly.

It wouldn't be such a problem but the way the wireless is implemented, especially nowadays, is old fashioned. It's been out now for the thick-end of ten years, and Logitech still haven't felt the need to upgrade the wireless. It doesn't use bluetooth, but old-skool RF wireless. Itself not an issue, but read on. Now, in 2012, you can get wireless receivers for devices that make flash drives look enormous. They're the sort of thing that someone could at a glance mistake for a USB connector that some joker has chopped off something. They're -small-. That in mind, be prepared for the size of the receiver for the TrackMan when you open the box. At least half the size of the trackball on its own, with a suspiciously long USB lead considering it's a wireless device. The thing is huge.

Onto wireless reception. Find yourself the right spot with it and it's great, but if you try and be even a little bit ambitious with where you position it, you'll have problems. To give an idea, I keep the receiver six inches from my trackball, right there on the desk. It's the only way it works well. Suddenly the bewildering length of USB cable makes sense. That and batteries. The bane of any wireless device. In a device that doesn't need wireless. At all.

It's frustrating, because this trackball is so good in so many ways, it would be the undisputed King of Trackballs if Logitech would just do a wired version. Most of their other trackballs have been wired, or have had a wired version available, why restrict their otherwise best trackball to wireless only?

To wrap up, this review wasn't meant to sound as negative as it does - to reiterate, I do like this trackball, a lot; I've been using it longer than I've ever used a single pointing device, ever. But just be aware it does have its quirks. If you can live with those, then I think you'll find it's a darn good bit of kit.

And finally -don't- buy the dark grey version. Get the old silver one. Trust me. Logitech, if you're listening. Wired, and sort out your build quality on the new ones. Until then, I'll be searching ebay for the old ones if this one ever breaks.

Cheers.