Profile for Rogue Eyebrow > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Solgar Chewable Calcium Wafers 500 mg - 60 wafers
Solgar Chewable Calcium Wafers 500 mg - 60 wafers
Offered by united care

5.0 out of 5 stars Yum! And no gluten, wheat, dairy, soy and artificial stuff, 21 Dec 2014
These taste great! Slightly sweet, with a hint of vanilla and coconut. Another review led me to expect these to taste awful and I was expecting to have to choke them down but they're positively pleasant. I'd eat these like sweets, apart from the fact that I'd be overdosing on calcium.

These seemed to be the only chewable calcium tablets not rammed with all sorts of problem-causing ingredients. If you can't swallow pills easily, I'd highly recommend these.

Chickens (A Key West Short Story) (Key West Mystery)
Chickens (A Key West Short Story) (Key West Mystery)

5.0 out of 5 stars Laurence Shames is back!, 6 Jun 2014
I don't know where he's been but I read and loved all of his Key West novels and this is a lovely, gentle short story about Bert the Shirt. What a fabulous writer. So perceptive.

Apparently he ghost-writes a lot. I wish I knew what names he was writing under so I could follow him.

LivOn Laboratories, Lypo-Spheric Vitamin C, 30 Packets, 0.2 fl oz (5.7 ml) Each
LivOn Laboratories, Lypo-Spheric Vitamin C, 30 Packets, 0.2 fl oz (5.7 ml) Each
Offered by US international service

5.0 out of 5 stars Tastes fine!, 31 May 2014
It's too early for me to tell if this product is going to be effective for me but I wanted to comment on the taste because many reviews (on US Amazon particularly) complain about it (while others say they like it).

Some people seem to be ignoring the instructions, which are to mix it with water. It's a lipid gel, which means it's quite difficult to mix, so I use the Aerolatte cappuccino frother to mix it and it's extremely effective. I find the taste strange but pleasant - it's a weird mix of freshly cut grass and Fairy washing up liquid. I actually look forward to drinking it!

Considering how nasty most pharamaceuticals taste, this is nothing, even if you don't like the taste. It's very mild.

Good luck to everyone taking this for their health - I'll try to remember to update this after I've been trying it for a while.

Daewoo KOR6L15 Manual Microwave Oven, 700 Watt, 20 Litre - White
Daewoo KOR6L15 Manual Microwave Oven, 700 Watt, 20 Litre - White

1.0 out of 5 stars Packed in after two months!, 19 Jan 2014
I really liked this until an hour ago! Nice, simple unit, just two knobs to turn, one for power, one for time, lovely mechanical 'ping' when it's done. The timing knob is a bit vague - no good for accurate timing in seconds but that doesn't bother me.

However, it just packed up stone dead so I'm having to return it.

I've only ever bought cheap microwaves and I've got through half a dozen in ten years in a single-person household. It's always hugely inconvenient when they pack in. Maybe you really do get what you pay for with them, so I'm going for a Bosch this time.

Storm Front (Virgil Flowers Series Book 7)
Storm Front (Virgil Flowers Series Book 7)

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't seem to have been mostly written by John Sandford!, 13 Jan 2014
I don't generally like to leave tepid or negative reviews but I think so highly of John Sandford - I've read all his Prey and Virgil Flowers novels and have found them all to be 5* reads - that I can't bear to see him diluting the quality of his work by apparently co-writing his novels with other authors.

No other author appears on the cover and it's not quite clear from the few words before the story starts what 'help' exactly - research? writing? - he was given by Michele Cook, whom he credits. He's acknowledged 'help' before from people who would probably have been experts in police procedure and so on. But this book is such a tremendous fall-off in form in every way - writing style, plot, credibility, humour, even basic common sense - that I find it hard to believe that the same John Sandford who wrote the other books wrote this one on his own.

In any other field than publishing, I wonder whether this would be considered as 'passing off' and in the UK, against the Trades Descriptions Act. All sorts of things in publishing are weird but if I'm buying a novel with 'John Sandford' on the cover, I want him to have written it. If he hasn't, I'd like him and his publishers to be honest with me and put the names of all of the authors on the cover. Then I'll make my own mind up about whether I want to buy it, as is my right.

I gather that Mr Sandford is now aiming to publish both a Prey novel and a Virgil Flowers novel a year and maybe that's why he's sought a co-author but I'd rather buy a good quality book once a year than not buy a disappointing book twice a year.

If it's pressure from his publisher that's driving this I think they're making a mistake.

Please, Mr Sandford, it's you I want to read!

Magic Mirror: A Georgia Lee Maxwell Mystery (Penguin Crime Fiction)
Magic Mirror: A Georgia Lee Maxwell Mystery (Penguin Crime Fiction)
by Mickey Friedman

5.0 out of 5 stars Charm!, 20 July 2013
I bought this having read a review of it somewhere and it has a lot of charm. The protagonist is an American journalist who goes to live in Paris where she stumbles upon a crime and story. It's first-person and written with a light, humorous touch. I'll be looking for the sequels.

Gluten-Free Girl: How I Found the Food That Loves Me Back... and How You Can Too
by Shauna James Ahern

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming!, 11 April 2013
I've just realised I have a gluten problem, albeit not coeliac disease like the author of this book. Her book is hugely inspiring about food beyond wheat - cheered me up no end. It's more about attitude than recipes - I highly recommend it.

Morphy Richards Essentials 43485 Jug Kettle - White
Morphy Richards Essentials 43485 Jug Kettle - White

1.0 out of 5 stars Developed scary fault in 1 month!, 24 Mar 2013
Bought one of these locally and last week, when it was about a month old, I boiled some water to make some tea and about a couple of hours later heard the kettle start to boil again and found it had somehow switched itself back on! It did it again today. Taking it back to the shop tomorrow before it decides to boil itself dry, explode and burn my house down. Too scared to leave it on its stand in case it powers up.

How to Write Perfect Press Releases
How to Write Perfect Press Releases

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful!, 23 Mar 2013
I've been asked by a friend to help write a press release about a charity that she's set up, under rather extreme and hopefully newsworthy circumstances, to raise money for research into her disabling illness. I'm not a PR person and have no relevant expertise but found this book very clear on how to pitch and structure a press release.

Steven Lewis is a very funny writer and the book was an entertaining read. I read it in an hour or two, working on ideas for the press release as I went through it.

I hope he will write a companion volume on 'where to send your press release' or maybe expand the section in this one. This book is somewhat focused on the needs of PR for people selling services or products, and whereas the advice on how to write the press release generalises, the advice on where to send it doesn't, quite so clearly.

I'd have liked, for example, to know how to send a press release to a news agency.

But that's a minor point, and I'm confident that I can sit down this morning and make a reasonable job of my press release.

The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun
by Gretchen Rubin

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb! Inspiring!, 6 Jan 2013
I don't usually bother writing reviews for books that already have a comfortable number of good ones but I'm making an exception for this one. Entertainingly writen and inspiring, it's just convinced me to do my own happiness project, just in time for the start of 2013. Highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6