Profile for Juls C > Reviews

The Artist Who Painted a Blue Horse
by Eric Carle
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant for toddlers!, 3 Oct. 2014
My daughter loves this, and all Eric Carle's books! They seem to be exactly the type of illustrations and repetitive phrasing that young children love.

Buy it :-)

The New Contented Little Baby Book: The Secret to Calm and Confident Parenting
The New Contented Little Baby Book: The Secret to Calm and Confident Parenting
by Gina Ford

1.0 out of 5 stars some of us like holding our babies while they sleep-and find the thought ..., 3 Oct. 2014
Only read some of this book as I couldn't bear to read it all!!

Guess what Gina Ford, some of us like holding our babies while they sleep-and find the thought of leaving a small person who has no idea what is going on, in a scary dark room by themselves!

I am so pleased I didn't follow ANY of her recommendations...my now 2 year old is a confident, well developed, happy and secure little girl who sleeps just fine. I used to breastfeed her to sleep and do all the things Gina would disapprove of, but it has never been an issue in our house. Our 'routine' is flexible and day to day life is not governed by exactly when she has to nap/feed etc.she loves food and eating has never been an issue.

On the contrary-one of my friends followed Gina's advice-her child is the same age as mine. Her child is now very clingy, anxious and this makes my friend frustrated at times. He won't leave her side when we go to groups and playcentre (which we've both been going to since our little ones were babies).
He can't nap unless he is in his room, with a blackout curtain. So they never go anywhere in the afternoon. He is struggling with potty training and is a small child who is very fussy with food.

I'm not saying all these things are a result of having followed Gina's magical routines, but I find it interesting.in any case, we didn't follow any sort of routine or any of Gina's frankly awful advice, and we are more than happy with the way things have turned out for our family!

I find the book abhorrent...not to mention the fact that the author has never had children herself and cannot back up any of her claims with evidence other than what she 'thinks'.

Melissa & Doug Wooden Animal Magnets
Melissa & Doug Wooden Animal Magnets

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks lovely when first bought but after a few days, pictures are starting to come off the magnets, 3 May 2014
The packaging and quality of this product are lovely when brand new and unused.

However, after my daughter playing with thee after a few days, have noticed that if she has dropped a magnet on the ground, the picture has scratched and on some of them is already starting to peel away. I don't think these will last very long.
Such a shame as they looked like such a lovely item.

One of them has a rough bit on the magnet side and has scratched the front of my fridge.

Just disappointed overall.

Baby Toddler Washable Bath Crayons Bathtime Fun Play Educational Toy
Baby Toddler Washable Bath Crayons Bathtime Fun Play Educational Toy
Offered by easygoodsuk

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, 23 April 2014
Bought these for my nearly 2 year old daughter, after buying some years ago from ELC for my nephews (which they loved).

Firstly-they are called Baby bath crayons, yet on the back of the packet they say not for children under 3. So I assume that they are for 3+ year old 'babies' then.

Secondly-they don't work. You might as well use normal crayons that you'd use on paper, that's what they are like. We tried them with water and without and it was just a huge disappointment.

Waste of money, will be getting some from ELC instead.

That's Not My Dolly
That's Not My Dolly
by Fiona Watt
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book but not happy with Amazon-wasn't aware I was buying a used book, 27 Jan. 2014
This review is from: That's Not My Dolly (Board book)
These books are perfect for toddlers-my 18 month old loves them all, and particularly this one as she loves dollies,

What I was not happy with is that it is clearly a used book-however this was not clear when I bought it.

ToddlerCalm: A guide for calmer toddlers and happier parents
ToddlerCalm: A guide for calmer toddlers and happier parents
by Sarah Ockwell-Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that gives toddlers a voice, seeing the world from their perspective-enlightening., 9 Oct. 2013
I was excited about the release of this book after reading Babycalm and with my daughter now 15 months and well and truly a toddler, this couldn't have come at a better time.
I was not disappointed, it is just brilliant. It just makes so much sense and I would urge anyone who has anything to do with kids to just buy it and read it.
Whenever I am in a book shop I take this book off the shelf and put it in front of the Gina Ford books 😉
If you are sick of 'Supernanny' style advice, the old one-size-fits-all parenting and that ridiculous naughty step, then get this book.
I am an early years teacher and now a mother of a toddler, and I can honestly say that when I eventually go back to teaching, this will also change the way I do things and the way I view young children.

This book will completely change your viewpoint of toddlers-how they see the world and what everyday life must be like for them. I am sure that following the advice in this book will do what it says on the cover...

BabyCalm: A Guide for Calmer Babies and Happier Parents
BabyCalm: A Guide for Calmer Babies and Happier Parents
by Sarah Ockwell-Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had known about this book before my baby was born!, 11 Feb. 2013
I came across this book by chance at the library when looking for a book that gave advice about baby sleep and that didn't advocate leaving your little one to cry.
So glad I found this book, it was so reassuring, non-judgemental, practical and sensitive. It covers so many aspects of caring for a baby-as well as your own post-natal care and feelings. I've never seen a book like it. I wish i'd known about it and read it before my baby was born.
It gives any new mother confidence in what she is doing, rather than giving them some out-dated and inappropriate schedule or routine they should be following.
I particularly like the fact that Sarah acknowledges that co-sleeping is not wrong and instead of saying you shouldn't do it (like every other book does) she gives practical solutions and also backs up what she says with research, to explain how it safely.

I can't wait for the next book: Toddler Calm, to come out and will be buying it as soon as it's available!

Thank you Sarah...

Electrolux ZB2803 Unirapido Rechargeable Stick Vacuum Cleaner, Fresh Yellow
Electrolux ZB2803 Unirapido Rechargeable Stick Vacuum Cleaner, Fresh Yellow

1.0 out of 5 stars Lasted 8 months now doesn't work at ALL, 3 Dec. 2012
This was great when it lasted. We bought this 8 months ago and now all of a sudden it won't charge/hold it's charge so it's really quite useless. In fact, we are now trying to find out how to send it back/get a refund as it is gathering dust (quite ironic).
Wouldn't recommend it at all.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 15, 2013 11:29 AM GMT