Profile for Jack > Reviews

Mixing Secrets for  the Small Studio
Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio
by Mike Senior
Price: 16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb resource, will improve your workflow massively, 15 Oct 2011
I'm in the Third year of a Music Technology degree and this book has been such a massive help that I'm basing my dissertation on it!

While I was comfortable with most of the concepts Mike talks about, the clear and concise way he writes made the book a joy to work with. The beginning section helped me to fit out my home project studio with the right amount of acoustic treatment, and Mike's advice on monitor selection really opened my eyes (and ears!) to things like ported speakers.

The real treat however is in the structure that Mike provides you with in order to approach each mix in the right way. It's all very well knowing what a compressor or eq does, but knowing why and when to use it is vital in maintaing an effective workflow. Mike's book gives you a clear understanding of where to start and when to move on to the next task, something that has transformed my mix work. The section on effects is enlightening, really getting to grips with why you need them to take a mix to the next level.

The mix preparation section gives you vital advice on timing and tuning edits, as well as all important phase alignment issues. These are things that you have to deal with if you want a great sounding mix and Mike explains them in easy to understand ways.

It's all great, your mixing will improve a hundred fold.