Profile for S. Firth > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Book Thief
The Book Thief

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, 11 Oct. 2010
This review is from: The Book Thief (Kindle Edition)
It took me a little while to get into this book, but once i did it was great. I wont go into too much detail as others have already done that very well. I wouldnt even have read it if it wasnt for an online bookclub i am part of at kinfinity.

My Grandma was German and she was only a few years older than Liesel was at that time so it was intresting to read about things she might have seen and experienced, because she never spoke about it. The writer did a great job of making you feel like you are there, running on Himmel Street, in the basement with Liesel, Hans and Max, playing football on the street etc.

The story picked up for me a lot when Max came into it, and it made me hate even more what the Nazi's and Hitler put Jews through. Max was one of my favourite characters, along with Hans Hubermann.

Having Death as the narrator was a very clever idea, and it would seem Death can be humourous at times.

Twilight: Twilight, Book 1 (Twilight Saga)
Twilight: Twilight, Book 1 (Twilight Saga)
by Stephenie Meyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Ooo i love it!, 29 Sept. 2010
I saw the film, then I was advised to read all the books before I saw the other films so I downloaded the first one on my Kindle. I have to say, I loved it. Yes it's not the most well written book. The amount of times Edward stares at Bella, or Bella looks at Edward or they stare at each other. Or Bella explains for the 100th time how beautiful Edward is, is a bit ridiculous. But to be honest, I dont care because I loved Edward & Bella's relationship.

And no I'm not a teenager, I'm 26 but, so what! I did have the images of R-Patz and Kristen Stewart as i was going through the book, and other characters too. But actually, now i've read the book i think the film is cast really well. Although Kristen could bring a bit more to Bella, as she is too moody in the film for my liking. Even though Bella in the book is a bit of a misery too, but not as bad. And i think the book to film conversion wasnt so bad! Yes, there were a couple of things from the book that would have been nice in the film, but most of it was there.

So we've got Edward the gorgeous Vampire, who has been alone for about 100 years, and he finally finds Bella, whom he tries to stay away from because he's scared she'll be too irresistable for him and that he might hurt her. But he cant because he's fallen in love with her. Pfft, what's not to like about this guy :p Actually, the love they have for each other is so intense that i stopped reading for a day. I'll not carry on because most people will know about Twilight now. I have downloaded the next book and cant wait to delve into Edward & Bella's story again!

The Yorkshire Pudding Club
The Yorkshire Pudding Club

5.0 out of 5 stars Good old Yorkshire Lasses!, 15 Sept. 2010
I just finished this book. My first Kindle read. I LOVED it! I love anything to do with pregnancy and babies so i knew i would love this book. So glad i bought it and it's set in Yorkshire, been a Yorkshire lassy myself i could hear the character's accents in my head.

All 3 main ladies are a joy. There's not one of them i dont like. And that's rare for any book that has a few main characters. Or sometimes THE main character. I look at Marian Keyes when i write this...

Slimy Simon of course is abysmal. You will find yourself screaming at Helen to get rid! And screaming at Elizabeth to get with John! And loving Janey for loving the soft bloke that is George. God bless him.

I loved how each lady had different experiences been pregnant. Helen wanted it the most, infact she's the only one who wanted to get knocked up. And she suffered the most at first too. But reading about their different experiences at scans and check-ups was so nice, it gave you a lovely feeling. Also loved when they went to the classes a few weeks before birth and Mandy the midwife was giving the lesson. The kind that has no kids herself, but loves to preach about breast-feeding, and the risks of pain relief during labour. Dont you just hate childless women like that!

Anyway, i think this book is brilliant, and definately NOT badly written like the 1 star review says. It just Beautiful.

Amazon Kindle Keyboard Leather Cover, Hot Pink (only fits Kindle Keyboard)
Amazon Kindle Keyboard Leather Cover, Hot Pink (only fits Kindle Keyboard)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, 14 Sept. 2010
I got my Kindle on 31st August, but only ordered this case for it on 8th September. I recieved it yesterday. At first i really didnt want to pay £30 for it, so held off. Then i half-heartedly ordered it. Then the day after, i had to pay a big vet bill so came on to cancel it but it was been dispatched so couldnt. I figured i'd send it back once i got it as i was sure i wouldnt like it.

Well, no way is this going back, it's gorgeous. I have the Hot Pink (no light) version and i love it. Yes it could be £10 cheaper but now i have seen the case, i'm not missing that money much. It took 5 seconds for me to attatch Simba (my Kindle) so it's not complicated at all. Yes i have concerns that the elastic wont last, but so many people have had their K2 covers for a long time and the strap is still perfect, if your careful with it, there should be no problems.

I did worry that with only the hinges holding my Kindle, it wouldnt be secure, but i'm very confident that it's not going anywhere, they are sturdy little hinges. But most of all my screen is protected now, and stays clean.

Some people dont like the simple design of the cover, saying it's boring. But that's what i really love about it. It's simple and gorgeous, just like the Kindle. I loved holding my Kindle bare, and wasnt sure i'd be comfortable holding it in the case, but it's so much better! And very comfy. It's gorgeous, it's well made, it's perfect for your Kindle. :)
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 17, 2011 9:21 PM GMT

My Sister's Keeper [DVD]
My Sister's Keeper [DVD]
Dvd ~ Cameron Diaz
Offered by DVD Overstocks

1.0 out of 5 stars Jeeze, 30 Aug. 2010
This review is from: My Sister's Keeper [DVD] (DVD)
One day i will learn my lesson i really will. I watched Confessions of a Shopaholic after i read the book. That film was rubbish. After finishing My Sister's Keeper earlier this evening, i couldnt resist and i went and found the film on a certain tubey site. Even though i had heard it wasnt like the book, i still watched it all.

And boy what a letdown! Jesse in the film, is so rubbish. They dont capture him at all, he's not the pyromaniac, angry person he is in the book, he's dyslexic and likes to hang on street corners till late, i mean come on!

Julia isnt in the film at all. Campbell Alexander is rubbish in the film. Such an important person in Anna's life in the book and he's barely there in the film. And his dog is a German Shepherd! Not a Border Collie as portrayed here. These things may seem little but are important.

Brian is, well why is he there? Just because they needed a dad in the film, he barely does anything. He doesnt even look at the stars once.

Judge De Salvo is a woman. One of the best scenes in the book is when Sara shaves her head, and so does Anna to be like Kate. You wont find Anna doing that here. And the fact that she was only 11 in the film and Kate 15 really annoyed me.

Another fab scene in the book is Kate pretending to drink her own urine, it just doesnt come across so well in the film. All the scenes are too short to have any real meaning.

It's like the director read little snippets of the book instead of the whole thing. The girl who plays Anna, she does it so wrong. Like a robot reading a script that's behind the camera or something. Anna in the book is quiet, afraid of letting her mother down and Kate. This Anna bounds into rooms confidently, and it's Jesse who does the big reveal in court that Kate said she wants to die. He doesnt even go to court in the book. And the ending is completely different to the book and just ruins it all.

Wow ok i'm rambling, I'm just mad at these authors who write good/great books and let the movie bigwigs ruin them. They should be more like J.K Rowling who said she wouldnt let them make films out of her books unless they did it properly, following the exact story. Makes me never want to watch The Lovely Bones so it does!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 17, 2011 9:34 PM GMT

My Sister's Keeper
My Sister's Keeper
by Jodi Picoult

5.0 out of 5 stars *sniff*, 30 Aug. 2010
This review is from: My Sister's Keeper (Paperback)
I have had this book on my shelf for ages. Long before the film came out. I only picked it up this week and wow what a book it is!

I just read some of the 1-2 star reviews. Honestly, i dont understand why anyone wouldnt like this book. Yes it has cliche's, yes it's a very heavy, deep book emotionally, but it's a deep subject. There's lots of parts in the book where various characters are thinking about life in general, their own mortality. How they think life began. And anyone would think that with a close relative in Kate's situation. Or maybe some people arent that deep.

Anyway, Jesse the brother, is the one i feel really sorry for in this book. He is pretty much ignored and you are silently screaming for one or both of his parents to notice him.

Sara annoys me for a lot of this book. She has a tunnel vision which is Kate central. That's all she can see. And you feel exasperated at her sometimes. And then you wonder what you would do. But she is the mother. She seems to make all the decisions. And when Anna goes in to donate more cells/blood/marrow she tells her daughter that nobody is forcing her but if she does it she will make Kate, Mum and Dad happy. Which is basically saying, do it or i'll be very angry at you.

Towards the end of the book, the twist hits you and you dont see it coming. Some people say this has ruined the book for them. It didnt for me, it made it better if that's possible. And i dont want to watch the film because apparantly they changed the ending, which is stupid. And i dont see Cameron Diaz as the mother at all. But anyway, if you havent read the book, please think about doing so. It's clear JP has put a lot of research and thought into this book. It's a gem.

Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married
Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married
by Marian Keyes

2.0 out of 5 stars Lucy Sullivan is a..., 23 Aug. 2010
... Pain in the ar$e. Seriously, i have to agree with the lower rating reviews on this book. It's hard to read a book when the main character is the worst one of them all! The description of the book makes you think it's going to be a raptuous ride and who will Lucy pick as her husband? In reality there are only 2 men out of about 5 that are possibilities, as the other's arent in the book for long.

On the subject of our heroine (i use the term loosely) Lucy, well words fail me. She's petulant, bitchy, annoying, whiny, self-obsessed and just so in need of a good slap. She was so evil and nasty to her own mother it was just horrible. She was supposed to have depression, but she came across as just a lazy, moaning cow. It felt like the depression was just made into a joke. Honestly, there are only a few people in this book that i liked. Daniel, Charlotte (good old Yorkshire lass like myself!) and Adrian. And maybe Dennis. Most of the characters are annoying. Karen is a complete and utter cow. It made me so mad to see Lucy just let her walk all over her and call her names. And poor Meredia, it was a case of "she's fat so let's see how many cruel, fat jokes i can put in the book" by Marian K. Not funny!

Gus, there are no words. No person in their right mind would want to date him. Seriously, if you met him in real life you would tell him where to go! He wasnt your daring, funny hero rival for the other bloke in Lucy's life, he was an annoying, childish, drunken idiot. I cant even talk about him anymore.

I will give this book 2 stars because there was some humour in it, i did laugh at a few moments in the book. Megan trying to find out Meredia's real name was a high point throughout the book. But, as is the case with MK's earlier books, she is trying too hard to be funny to the point that it becomes annoying. And it was predictable, i knew who Lucy would end up with (although what he, the gorgeous one, saw in her i do not know!) and it seemed to drag on for ages to get to the conclusion that you know is coming.

Nintendogs Dalmatian & Friends (Nintendo DS)
Nintendogs Dalmatian & Friends (Nintendo DS)
Offered by CD Dixie

2.0 out of 5 stars Grow doggie grow!, 3 Aug. 2010
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
Well yes, I'm a late comer to the world of Nintendogs. I saw that they are releasing a new Nintendogs + Cats for the new 3DS which will be out next year and I realized I'd never played any Nintendog game. So since I love Dalmatian's I decided to purchase this one second hand.

At first it was nice, I adopted Betsy the Dalmatian, then after a couple of days I adopted Bobby the Beagle. But already there was one big problem for me, the fact that dogs dont grow. I knew this before purchase but I hoped that the game would have enough in it to hold my attention, sadly it didnt. I couldnt grow attatched to these dogs like some say they could. I even deleted and started again with a Boxer. After a week of owning this game, I was quickly getting fed up of having to walk these dogs on the same old route. And if you have 3 dogs, it takes forever.

Then there's the contests. They became tedious after a while. Especially the obiediance one. The two commentators are so annoying.

On the subject of puppies staying puppies, I found it a huge drawback. I know some parents say they like it so their child doesnt get upset seeing their dog grow old and die. But guess what, that's what happens in life. I want my virtual dog to grow big and strong because I've been feeding and taking care of it. I want it to get to old age because it's been looked after so well. I dont want a forever puppy. What's the point in buying food and water for it if it's just to change the hunger/thirst meter? And if you're not going to apply that to a game, then give me something more than endless trials and walking.

I know by now you're thinking "wow i hope she never gets a real dog." Well I have two whom I adore, and they are much less of a burden than these virtual dogs. And one is 14 years old because of the care and love I've lavished on him since he was 8 weeks old.

Baby Sitting Mania (Nintendo DS)
Baby Sitting Mania (Nintendo DS)
Offered by Netro Enterprise

4.0 out of 5 stars Unlike reality, i can turn these monsters off!, 26 Jun. 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Despite my title, i do like this game! So far im on about level 30, it's just getting to the point where it's getting harder. Theres still many more levels to go though! My kids must hate me because i always have them on permanent time out! Which is a lot of work in itself, because i can only clean 2 or three things before time out is up! So i have to rush back to all the kids to restart time out. I may sound evil but it's a necessary evil. If you let them just run around you would never get finished. Party time is worse because there are more evil kids messing up everything. Not just the kids, there are babies in cots that need feeding or nappy changing. And older babies in walkers that drop litter all over. They go on time out too!

I love the fact that each house is different though, with a different layout so you have to find your way around. And you have to pick all dirty clothes up and put them in washer, then dryer, then in the wardrobe.

I do feel like leaving some birth control behind though for these parents...!

Cake Mania (Nintendo DS)
Cake Mania (Nintendo DS)
Offered by CD Dixie

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice game., 26 Jun. 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I got this game a couple of weeks ago. I love Diner Dash and have wanted something similar since, Cake Mania has always been in my eye line every time i come onto Amazon so i decided to buy it. I'm very glad i did, it is a great game. Although i do have a couple of issues with it which is why only 4 stars. And those issues are, when you complete the main game, (which only took about 8hrs) there is no way to replay the other restaurants that you completed. One of my favourite things in DD is that when you completed the game you could replay any restaurant of your choosing, not so in CM, unless someone knows any different?

Also, it takes a while to get all the good upgrades, i didnt get my last one until the last level, so with that in mind, unless you replay the last level 100 times, you arent going to benefit much from your equipment been faster. Another reason why it would be better to be able to replay all other levels.

But you do get the Back to Basics game, so effectively you get 2 games in one, and for the price, that's great. :)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20