Profile for S. Firth > Reviews

Starting Over
by Sue Moorcroft
Price: 5.67

3.0 out of 5 stars Tess = most annoying character ever!, 23 Feb 2011
This review is from: Starting Over (Paperback)
I have just finished this book and wow what a slog it was. I had to take a break before i got even half way through because Tess was annoying me so much.

I did the daft thing of ordering 2 SM books before i'd ever read any, based on the good reviews. Maybe if i'd just bought this, i'd be hesitant to buy another, but now i have "All that Mullarkey" to read too.

I have given it 3* because i did love Ratty, and most of the other characters, but it was Tess that really grated on me. I mean, i dont know any woman who would divulge such information about her monthly bleeding to a man she hardly knows. And also, Angel, i dont know any woman who would send a man around to her friends house with sanitary items. It just always seemed that Tess was the weak little damsell and Ratty was always there whenever she was in trouble.

And it's a shame because you have a great character like Ratty, and you want him to find a great woman, and for him to tell Tess to get lost. It could have been a 5* book if it wasnt for bloody Tess and her pathetic, selfish ways. I hope SM's other characters are better.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 17, 2011 9:37 PM GMT

The Sims 2: Nightlife Expansion Pack (PC CD)
The Sims 2: Nightlife Expansion Pack (PC CD)
Offered by GamersCorner
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Downtown, where the lights are bright., 10 Jan 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
After exhausting my Sims Seasons out and realising i need some fresh decor/clothes etc, i pondered over which expansion to get next. It was a toss up between this one or Pets. I went for Nightlife. To be honest i don't deal much with the Downtown aspect of the game. I tried it, it was ok, but i always prefer to stay on my sims lot. I do love having cars though. There's not loads to choose from but there is lots of different colours so that's good. Lots of new clothes for your sims also, although some of the clothes, especially for the men, are a bit wacky.

A bit dissapointing to have just 2 new hairstyles for your adult male/female sim. One of those can be worn by a teenager, the crazy one for girls that i dont like. But the toddlers have a few different ones. Especially the girls getting to wear cute bandana's.

You get new wall/floor decor too, most of it is really nice actually. New lights, new dining tables and chairs, one or two new windows and doors. So overall you do get lots of nice new things. And if you like your sims to go clubbing, or to go fine dining, or bowling then this game is for you. For me, i just got it for all the nice new stuff i can put in my sims houses.

Desperate Housewives - Season 6 [DVD]
Desperate Housewives - Season 6 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Teri Hatcher
Price: 11.00

4.0 out of 5 stars The weakest season so far., 8 Jan 2011
If you ask a Desperate Housewives fan what their least favourite season is, most will say season 2. Not so with me, i would say this season is the weakest. But saying that it doesnt mean it's bad because it really isnt. It just felt like on some of the situations... yeah we've been there before. Such as Tom having to explain to Mrs McClusky's new fella (you read right) why he lets Lynette be the boss, because of her bad childhood and her needing to feel in control, yeah we know, we've heard it before.

And yes, Mrs McClusky has a new man, bless her i actually felt chuffed for her.

I would say the first half of this season is quite so so, but it definately does pick up for me. Although they did kill someone off who i just loved! Last season they killed Edie off, and i was ok with that. I liked her but i could live without her, but this character, probably my favourite i shall miss a lot. And one of my most favourite characters was Eddie, and you might think i'm weird saying that but, oh god that poor kid. I just wanted to hug him. At least Lynette saw good in him. Bless, those episodes actually hurt to watch because i cared for this character straight away.

The new family, the Bolen's, they were ok. They got better as the season progressed. Although i knew John Barrowman was going to be in it and i was dreading it because i'm not a fan of him or his cheesy grin. But he was actually quite good, he wasnt in it too much too so i was ok with that! Also, i'm really loving Bob & Lee, i laughed so much when Lee thought Susan's house was on fire and he came running out.

All in all, if anynone says DH's is on it's last legs, do not believe them. I believe that there's much more life in this show yet! And i cant wait to get season 7 because of the cliffhanger ending here.

Miami Crisis (Nintendo DS)
Miami Crisis (Nintendo DS)
Offered by APE-GAMES
Price: 8.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Not terrible., 4 Jan 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I've played the best of the detective games on the DS. All of the Ace Attorney series, Hotel Dusk and the follow on The Last Window, and Prof Layton. This game isnt in their league at all (not many games are) but it's really not a terrible game. 4* is probably too kind, and maybe 3 1/2 is much more like it.

In this game you can play the cop shooting and chasing people in cars or the FBI Agent doing forensic stuff and behind the scenes help. I played the cop at first, i'm about to do the agent now i've completed it. The cop was quite fun. The game doesnt have any real challenges, shooting people is easy, chasing people is just an option of going left/right to skip cars. I recommend using the buttons for this, it's much easier. Sometimes you will be in an area and it wont be obvious what you have to do, usually in this situation, you have to talk to someone.

The game itself is way too short, took about 6hrs to complete it the first time, now i know how to move and talk to people and such, i reckon i can knock an hour off that time so it's even shorter still. Sometimes you will answer a question wrong also and get a game over, but luckily you can press retry and start from around the question again so you dont have to go back to your last save or the start of the chapter. You can also save at most points in the game so that's handy.

All in all, i do recommend this game but dont compare it to or think it is going to be a great experience like the games i mentioned above because more than likely you will be dissapointed if you do.

Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (Nintendo DS)
Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (Nintendo DS)
Offered by Soprano Entertainment
Price: 39.95

5.0 out of 5 stars God I Love Kyle Hyde, 3 Jan 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I have been desperate to play this game since it came out as i love Hotel Dusk and have played it over and over, but i resisted from buying it and i put it on my Christmas list instead and my sister thankfully bought me it. I just completed it today. I absolutely love it! Definately worth the wait and also kept my mind off stressful things going on in my life at the moment.

I love Kyle Hyde, probably the most handsome character ever. As soon as i started this game and entered Cape West i knew it was going to be amazing, i couldnt wait to meet all the new characters and they dont dissapoint. As i was going through it, there were points where i nearly went online for a walkthrough but i resisted and was determined to complete this one without help, but near the end i failed and had to get a little help, but it was hard!

The story is brilliant. And one of the coolest things is getting to play Billiards, i dont know why but it's quite addictive. Now i've finished the game, it has been added to the menu and every time i choose to play it, i'm playing against a different character each time. These games have a way of making you wish there was a place like Cape West/Hotel Dusk in real life. I cant really say anymore than other reviewers have already but it's so amazing, i hope they make another one because i cant get enough. If anyone has ever played Titanic, Adventure Out of Time on the PC, that is a similar style game and i really wish the makers of these games could convert that to DS because they would do an amazing job, and that is also an amazing game, just too old to play on modern PC's now.

Marley and Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog
Marley and Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog
by John Grogan
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreakingly Good ***SPOILERISH***, 17 Dec 2010
I've had this book on my shelf for quite some time. According to Amazon i bought it in Feb 2008 and i only just got around to reading it. Mainly because i heard it was sad and wasnt sure if i could cope as i'm a softy with animals. But i lost my dog 14 weeks ago and felt i needed something animal friendly to read.

Well what a read it is. I loved this book, i love Marley, i love the Grogan family! I loved the start of the book about Saint Shaun and John was right, you always remember the dogs of your childhood. For me that would be our Dalmatian/German Pointer cross Daley. Probably the coolest dog ever. He was there when i was born he died aged 13 when i was 11. He followed me as a baby, i have pictures of myself sat on his back on the grass. I still miss him now at 26. Next we had Zak a German Shepherd. He was 13 months old when we got him. A year later mum and dad suprised me with my very own toy Poodle Cary! 8 weeks old and a ball of fluff. I was 12. 6 years later we sadly lost Zak to prostrate cancer aged 8. A few months later we got another GSD Jerry. Now he is one crazy dog. Not as bad as Marley though! Although we experienced that grief of losing a dog again 14 weeks ago when my Cary sadly passed away aged 14. My best friend and i have his ashes back with me.

Reading about Marley from a puppy to an old dog really struck home with me. He had such a happy life and the Grogan's obviously loved him. I also enjoyed reading about the family and the births of their 3 children. It had sad parts all the way through. One of the hardest parts was Jenny and her post-natal depression. She wasnt kind to Marley at all. But it didnt last long and she came through it so i forgave her because she was ill and also i think she more than made up for the love she showed him before and after. The last couple of chapters were hard. I started crying at the mere mention of Marley getting old because i know that feeling of dread when you know one day you'll have to say goodbye. And that is the hardest part of been a dog owner. But we keep putting ourselves through it because they are worth it. I was sobbing by the end of this book, i struggled to see the pages. I could totally understand when John says he hadn't even grieved for some humans as much as he had for his dog, that's me. I loved how John mentioned others who had written to him about their dogs. It's nice they get a mention.

I dont understand the lower reviews. People mention that Marley would have been better if he'd had proper training and it was all the Grogan's fault he was how he was. Well your not stating anything new because John himself says as much in the book. So why use that as an excuse for lower ratings?

All in all i loved loved loved this book and i love that even though he was just a regular family dog, millions of people now know the legend of Marley and he has touched so many people's lives. Only a true dog lover could understand the grief of losing a dog. They aren't "just dogs" they are family, and more loyal to you than any human could ever be.

The Cradle Snatcher
The Cradle Snatcher
by Tess Stimson

4.0 out of 5 stars Not what i was expecting, 13 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Cradle Snatcher (Paperback)
As the title says, this book wasnt what i thought it would be at all. I expected Nanny's having affairs with husbands and such but it wasnt like that. Not that that's a bad thing at all! The book was really good. Even though Clare and Marc annoyed me a lot. They are definately the type of people who dont deserve children, Marc probably more so, just. I've never really understood women like Clare, who want it all.

Marc was a complete and utter idiot, childish, petulant, a pain in the @rse basically. Jenna, the nanny was probably the best character, but she had her annoying moments. There wasnt any one character who stood out really, one that you could root for because they all had flaws, which is probably what makes the book because nobody is perfect. And later on in the book, towards the end it became a little bit unbelievable, i mean, lets all have a Cooper to find all things lost to us. Still, it is a good read and i do recommend it highly.

Rio Professional Metallic Nail Art Kit
Rio Professional Metallic Nail Art Kit
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Gift., 24 Nov 2010
Bought this as a gift for someone for Xmas, so i've only looked at it to make sure everything is intact. And it is, the colours are lovely and I'm sure the girl i bought it for will love it, thanks again Amazon. :)

Johnny Be Good
Johnny Be Good
Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Johnny isnt good!, 24 Nov 2010
This review is from: Johnny Be Good (Kindle Edition)
And he really isnt! This book is strange to me. I didnt particularly like Johnny. I thought Meg was an idiot, but i still really liked the book! Not enough for a full 5* though. I wont tell you the gist of it, others have done that very well. My thoughts though are like this!...

I loved how there was a mention of Lucy & Nathan from her previous book which i have read and loved! And i hope in her next book, which i'm about to download, there will be an update to Meg because that ending was... suprising. Clever i think, still not sure! Johnny was really quite annoying, afraid of commitment, slept with anything in a skirt, messed Meg around. And there's lovely, kind, considerate Christian and your shouting at Meg, "leave the loser rock idiot alone and open your eeeyyyyyeeeessss." Well, i was anyway :D

The thing is, Johnny has redeeming moments where you think he's finally growing up, they dont last long though. One of the best bits in the book was in the Dales, but then i shout at Meg not to be an idiot, she's not listening though. She's too far gone. But Paige Toon writes another cracking story, and she really makes you feel like you are there, in La La Land or in the Dales, or touring Europe with the band! That is why i'm going to download Chasing Daisy as soon as possible! Thank the lord for Paige Toon. :)

Lucy in the Sky
Lucy in the Sky
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I Heart Nathan!, 16 Nov 2010
This review is from: Lucy in the Sky (Kindle Edition)
Just finished this book last night. I'm already planning on downloading all Paige Toon's books onto my Kindle! I really enjoyed this book. At first, when she was on the plane i felt like Lucy was going to be one of those annoying female leads that apparantly cant go anywhere without been an idiot or a clutz. But she developed better after that.

I loved reading about her in Australia, and meeting the divine Nathan! Everytime Nathan was mentioned in the book i found myself smiling. I loved the relationship he and Lucy had and the jokes! Also, not to brag but i've always made tea Nathan's way, it's the best and only way to do it!

On to James, meh he was ok. I could picture him in my head and i found myself doubting whether he was good or bad! You definately get mixed feelings about him throughout the book.

Sometimes the writing was annoying, such as "i put mascsara on my almond shaped eyes" or this gem "i wore my green/bronze sweater that brings out the green flecks in my eyes" or some such nonsense, i mean who says that about themselves?

But that been said, i loved this book, i will read it again at some point and now i'm off to choose what next Paige Toon book to get :D

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20