Profile for DAVID HUDSON > Reviews

Content by DAVID HUDSON

DAVID HUDSON "Chelsea Boy" (Barnsley, South Yorks)

Page: 1 | 2
A Hard Day's Night
A Hard Day's Night

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute gem in Stereo, 6 Oct. 2009
This review is from: A Hard Day's Night (Audio CD)
In the 1990's when I began to replace all my Beatles LPs with CDs, I was disappointed to find that the first four albums (including A Hard Day's Night) were not available in stereo. I guess that was because most people who bought the original LPs bought them in mono, so EMI were keeping up with tradition.
So I was highly delighted to get the recently released remastered version in stereo.
Its an absolute gem.
My favourite tracks when compared to the mono version are:-
1. "If I Fell" where John's voice is double tracked on the intro - it becomes a totally different song.
2. "You Can't Do That" where the instrumentation just takes it to the stratosphere.
My only criticism is -why no bonus tracks? About the same time as the original LP came out in 1964, the Beatles also released the Long Tall Sally EP. Surely there is space on the CD to include "Long Tall Sally", "I Call Your Name", "Matchbox" and "Slow Down".
Otherwise, the remastered version has made a brilliant album even better. I guess I'll be playing it in the car for quite a while - reliving those memories. Ah, happy days!!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 4, 2010 11:58 AM BST

Please Please Me
Please Please Me

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute gem in stereo, 2 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Please Please Me (Audio CD)
In the 1990's when I began to replace all my Beatle LPs with CDs, I was disappointed that the first four Beatle albums (including Please Please Me) were not available in stereo. I guess that was because most people who bought the original LPs bought them in mono, so EMI were somehow keeping up with tradition.
Its an absolute gem.
My favourite tracks when compared to the mono version are:-
1. "Please Please Me" when you can hear John fluff the lines towards the end of the song
2. "Twist and Shout" which is just RAW.
I have just two criticisms:-
1. "Love Me Do " and "PS I Love You" are still in mono
2. Couldn't we have bonus tracks, e.g. "From Me To You" and "Thank You Girl"?
Otherwise the remastered stereo version of the Please Please Me album is an absolute gem. Its like discovering the Beatles all over again, and re-living those memories. Ah, happy days!!!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 19, 2010 5:16 AM GMT

New Testament Issues (Forum books)
New Testament Issues (Forum books)
by Richard Batey

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb introdiction to New Testament theology, 7 Dec. 2008
I bought this for 30 shillings in 1970. I'd just been accepted on a 3 year teacher traing course at the College of St Mark & St Jihn, Chelsea. This was my first New Testament theology book. It consists of essays written by Jewish, Catholic and Protestant Scholars from both the USA and Europe. The essays fall into 4 sections - Interpreting the New Testament,Jesus of Nazareth, The World of Paul, and The World of John.
A balanced and thought provoking introduction for the serious student of the New Testament.

New Approach to the Old Testament
New Approach to the Old Testament
by John H. Otwell

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb introduction to the Old Testament., 7 Dec. 2008
I bought this book for 15 shillings in 1970. I'd just been accepted on a 3 year teacher traing course at the College of St Mark & St John, Chelsea. I was specialising in Religious Studies, and this was on the reading list. It was the first Theology book I bought, and I still go back to it.
Rather than describe what is in the Old Testament, Dr Otwell looks at the most useful techniques of modern biblical scholarship and how they contribute to understanding the Old Testament. He also explains why conclusions have been reached, thus giving the reader a solid basis for his own study.
A "must have" introduction for any serious student of the Old Testament