Profile for Dr. B. Prynn > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Knife Man: Blood, Body-snatching and the Birth of Modern Surgery
The Knife Man: Blood, Body-snatching and the Birth of Modern Surgery

5.0 out of 5 stars The life and times of John Hunter, 6 May 2015
I loved this book, as I loved both the others of the same author which I have read. It is very thoroughly researched, and the story of John Hunter and the descriptions of his milieu, are riveting. He was extraordinarly clear sighted about what he had learned about bodies - both human and animal - and how they could be mended, if one can put it that way. He also pioneered surgery which didn't come into common use until long after his time.

Arcadia
Arcadia

3.0 out of 5 stars An imaginary world, 6 May 2015
This review is from: Arcadia (Kindle Edition)
This book tells a fantasy story - a fictitious place peopled with fairly familiar types of people - as a story of change over time. It is interesting and vivid but I found it somewhat lacking in action.

The World Before Us
The World Before Us

4.0 out of 5 stars The world which existed before us and which may be ahead of us, 6 May 2015
If one is interested in Victorian plant hunters and Victorian lunatic asylums, this is the book! The depiction of life in the 1870s both in a manor house and the county asylum are very well researched and well presented. There are some problems with the framing story, in my view. The bringing together of the past and present by means of shades or wraiths of the past, who are reliant on the protaganist, Jane, to find out who they were in life, I found a rather difficult way of bringing together late nineteenth and twenty-first century life.

The Nelson Touch: The Life and Legend of Horatio Nelson
The Nelson Touch: The Life and Legend of Horatio Nelson
by Terry Coleman

3.0 out of 5 stars It is written in a rather flat style which is easy to follow but not very lively, 23 Jan. 2015
This book is full of interesting facts about Nelson, his family, his life and his work, and it is most informative. It is written in a rather flat style which is easy to follow but not very lively. If one wants to find out detail about Nelson and his milieu, as I did, it is extremely useful.

Return of a King: The Battle for Afghanistan
Return of a King: The Battle for Afghanistan

5.0 out of 5 stars I am a great fan of William Dalrymple, 23 Jan. 2015
I am a great fan of William Dalrymple, and I consider this to be a brilliant book. He tells the rather appalling story of the East India Company and its machinations about power and the Great Game, and the dreadful results of the Company's policies. However, the doom and gloom is enlivened by his style which includes wry asides about the personalities involved, and the quotations from letters and diaries are fascinating.

The Drowning (Patrick Hedstrom and Erica Falck, Book 6)
The Drowning (Patrick Hedstrom and Erica Falck, Book 6)

3.0 out of 5 stars This is a good example of her work, 23 Jan. 2015
I have read a number of the books by this writer, whom I find rather impressive. This is a good example of her work.

The Philosopher and the Wolf: Lessons from the Wild on Love, Death and Happiness

3.0 out of 5 stars I read this after I had read a subsequent book ..., 23 Jan. 2015
I read this after I had read a subsequent book by the same writer. I had been intrigued by his 'adoption' of a wolf. The story of their relationship is interesting, but I don't think I will be the only reader who considers the writer completely mad to do what he did. Also, I find it rather abhorrent that he named his child after his 'wolf brother.'

Whitman Illuminated: Song of Myself
Whitman Illuminated: Song of Myself

4.0 out of 5 stars I thought the illustrations were beautiful. However, 23 Jan. 2015
I thought the illustrations were beautiful. However, some of them were difficult to read, as the print spiralled around and trying to read it was a bit dizzy making!

A Bad Character
A Bad Character

3.0 out of 5 stars The difficulties of being a young girl in contemporary India., 30 Dec. 2014
This review is from: A Bad Character (Kindle Edition)
This book is written in a kind of experimental way, which is interesting. However, I did not find the central character either very pleasant which meant that I didn't really care too much about what she did or thought about things and people.

Family Life
Family Life

4.0 out of 5 stars Being an emigrant in the United States is not a bed of roses., 30 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Family Life (Kindle Edition)
This book is both moving and amusing, and it seems to be autobiographical. It is especially interesting and in some places heart rending, about the difficulties in a family which has emigrated to a country which is totally different from their country of origin.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3