Profile for D. L. Price > Reviews

Content by D. L. Price

D. L. Price "cider_dave" (Birmingham, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
2014 New Arrival Cubot X6 MTK6592 Octa Core 1.7GHz Phone 5.0 inch IPS 1280x720p OGS Screen 1GB RAM 16GB ROM Android 4.2 Smartphone Black
Offered by HAMSWAN

2.0 out of 5 stars Tricky one, looked good, didn't work..., 9 Aug 2014
This is quite a tricky thing to review. Like others I was a little worried by both the low price for the spec and the company website...it's a little amateur and offers no real support.

I was fairly impressed when it came,nicely boxed, looked good and full set of accessories. Including a free (if low quality) which was a nice touch. Then the problems started.

Firstly absolutely no documentation, not even a basic startup guide. So I had to guess why it wouldn't turn in and how to open the back, which was a little scarey as it did feel like you may break the back. Problem was tape on battery for transit.

Once removed the unit turned on, but just displayed coloured vertical lines...it was not working.

So back it went. I am now v nervous about reordering, it doesn't matter how cheap it is if the build quality and general care taken means it won't do it's job.

So I give 2 stars for the look/feel but it could easily have been more if it worked...

Maypole 251P Trailer Board 3ft with 4m Cable
Maypole 251P Trailer Board 3ft with 4m Cable
Offered by FastcarDirect - 24 Hour Dispatch

5.0 out of 5 stars Decent item and great price - be aware you need your own fixings, 17 Jun 2014
Generally very happy with this. It does what it says it will, it came quickly and is pretty good quality.

The lights are good and work, the board itself is fairly lightwight plastic and is hollow, not sure quite what I expected, perhaps something a little more sturdy, but realistically light is good and it does the job.

I probably would have given it 4.5 stars as it would have been nice to have some fixings supplied, to fit a number plate, even if this was just a few foam stickers. In fairness they don't mention this in the description and so I am happy to give 5 stars, but I didn't consider this until it arrived and so I am giving everyone a head up.

Incidentally in the end I found some old bolts and just drilled through the plate and board, it was really easy.

Assorted Elastic Bungee Cord Set - 6 Pack
Assorted Elastic Bungee Cord Set - 6 Pack
Offered by Really-Useful-Stuff

5.0 out of 5 stars Erm, they are Bungee cords..., 17 Jun 2014
They do what they say they do. 6 cords of varying lengths. They are not the thickest I've seen, but they were good value and for securing things are perfectly good...

Don't use them for bungee jumping, but if you use them for what they are designed for then they're a good buy.

FLUVAL EDGE 23LITRE LED LIGHT UNIT
FLUVAL EDGE 23LITRE LED LIGHT UNIT
Offered by POND SUPPLIES UK

2.0 out of 5 stars This could be 5 stars...not sure it I've been unlucky, 8 May 2014
This review is from: FLUVAL EDGE 23LITRE LED LIGHT UNIT
OK, this is a tricky one...

I bought this in January 2014 and first off if arrived with a 2 pin plug...one email later and great customer service just gave me £5 refund to buy an adapter, simple enough and I got it working.

First impressions were great, it was pretty easy to fit, it's a really nice bright light, the purple night-lights were good too and using LED's should be really cheap to run.

Based on this, if it had a UK plug I would have given it 5 stars, however...

It is now May 2014, 11 of the 15 LED's have stopped working and the condensation has got inside the light and bunged up the plastic cover so no light comes through from the other 4 anyway. In short it is now useless and I am sending it back (Amazon being great have just offered me a refund).

Now I may be naive, but surely something designed by the name brand of the fishtank, explicitly for this purpose should be a lot better than this. I know it's a damp environment, but that' kind of the point, so I can only presume I must have got a faulty one. If not and this is standard then avoid this like the plague...

So if it works 5 stars, if not then 1...(I've given it 2, giving it the benefit of some doubt)

SwitchEasy Numbers Case for Apple iPhone 5C - Frost White
SwitchEasy Numbers Case for Apple iPhone 5C - Frost White

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent cover - does the job, could be prettier..., 2 May 2014
I got this after reading some good reviews on the web.

It does the job, fits well, nice 'hole' covers and seems to give a certain degree of protection (especially over the super-slippy uncovered phone).

Generally I'm happy, only a couple of niggles. Firstly the screen protector plastic is a pain to install (actually the pain is getting rid of air-bubbles under it), althuogh i think this happens with most (all?) of these type of peel off-stick on type screen protectors.

The other slight issue is that rather than 'frost white' it actually just looks like dirty white to me, still does the job though

FitBit Zip Activity Tracker
FitBit Zip Activity Tracker

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, small easy and just great - use with Myfitnesspal, 2 May 2014
This is a decent bit of kit, but used with a smartphone and an app (I, like many, use Myfitnesspal) it is awesome and I love it.

I had some spare amazon vouchers and bought this to try. I thought about getting a wrist band style pedometer, but I concluded the only actual advantages of a wrist version were a) it is waterproof - but does't record swimming anyway, so I don't care if it comes off in the shower/pool and b) it records sleep, but apparently quite badly and I can't do much about sleep anyway...so at half the price I went for this.

Physically it is pretty small (2 or 3 50p's in your pocket), comes in nicely rubberized clip to hold inside pocket and has no buttons i.e. no way for dirt etc to get in. It takes button batteries too (CR2025), which apparently last a few months and you can buy on amazon for pennies.

I love the tap to view feature, just tap it to scroll through steps taken/distance/time/calories/smiley face - the smiley face get smilier the more you do - only a gimmick, but I liked trying to see how big a smile I could get.

In terms of accuracy it's not bad. Sure it's not super accurate, particularly in terms of distance - when I go running my strides must be too long as over a measured distance the fitbit says I haven't gone as far as I have and I suspect when I shuffle around the house the opposite happens. However I think it's a pretty good estimate and in reality I don't think that's quite what it's for.

The idea is to drive you to up your steps and shame you when the day has been quite low and it does this fantastically, if the exact number of steps/distance is off then it shouldn't matter too much - if you want exact distances then get a GPS watch (I have one of those too...but they don't work indoors, or for extended periods).

The extra bonus is the MyFitnessPall app. These talk to each other on my iphone, in myfitnesspal you enter the food you have and can set calorie nutrition targets. it's great to see actually how bad/good some things are - it quite surprised me and just by changing little things (little less butter/cream/cookies) makes a massive difference.

The Fitbit talks to myfitnesspal and if you have done a lot of exercise gives you an additional calorie 'allowance' for the day.

Using this I've made only slight changes to my lifestyle/eating habits and lost 4kg in a month (from 80kg, so quite a bit) and am still eating apple pies, drinking beer etc

If you love keeping statistics, being aware of what you do and little techie gadgets then get this :)

Garmin nuvi 2598LMT-D 5" Sat Nav with UK and Full Europe Maps, Free Lifetime Map Updates, Free Lifetime Digital Traffic Alerts and Bluetooth

2.0 out of 5 stars Should be Brilliant, Sadly let's itself down badly, 1 Nov 2013
I actually bought this elsewhere (as Amazon didn't sell it), but it was very recently and I ended up taking it back so I wanted to share my experience.

I really wanted this to be good as it should be perfect for me. My main requirement was a sat-nav, with good traffic that I didn't have to connect to my phone and that I didn't have to update too often and this ticked all the boxes. The digital traffic sounds great, as do lifetime maps and traffic plus Bluetooth, voice activation and lots of other goodies. However sadly it lets itself down quite badly.

Firstly the good bits:

It does look and feel nice, stylish and the menus are nice, clear and obvious. There isn't a manual which I know some people won't like, but the help on the device does work well and is fairly intuitive.

The voice command worked well, although I did have to repeat myself occasionally.

It recalculates quickly and the screen and voice prompts are clear, it will get you there and it is easy to use.

The traffic works quite well, it seemed pretty accurate, updates quickly, offers alternative routes and gives good information.

And now the bad bits:

There are a few minor niggles, the hands free phone worked, but when the voice directions were set at a reasonable level I had to increase the volume when I answered the phone or I couldn't hear it...not very handy or safe when driving along (although this may have been changeable in settings, but I couldn't find it).

The active lane guidance is a nice feature, but often the picture of the junction is the actual junction rather than the lanes leading up to it. What this means is that to be at a point o recognise the photo then it's too late to do anything about it. So i do wonder how useful it is.

A slighlty bigger niggle is that the time estimation is very poor and overestimates, specifically on non-motorways. It may be because that it uses `real' journey data, but it seems that it allows approx 1 min waiting at every junction or roundabout. To give you an idea, my local supermarket is 6 mins away (which is what my old `basic' garmin sat-nav said) but the 2598 reckoned 10 mins. Another local journey in perfect conditions (i.e. my old sat nav) is 30 mins, it took 32, this unit estimated 41 (and it didn't think there was traffic, this was just bad timing). In case you might think this is me driving super fast etc, I don't (my wife says I drive "like a granny") and I was always late base on old sat-nav.

But the really big one, the one that means I've given it a low score and the reason I have taken it back, is that the unit doesn't find the best route to your destination. It seemed a bit odd on my first long journey, it said use the motorway when I thought cutting across country would be better. I ignored it and cut across, the unit initially added 10 mins, but then as i drove took off 25 mins, on a 1 hour journey, so my way was quicker. Odd, so I checked the trip to my parents (a 1hr route I know well). There are two options; M6 or M5 (round Brum). Perfect traffic (i.e. old sat-nav, online route predictors) M6 is 6 mins faster, but in reality the M6 takes longer (there is always traffic and roadworks). This unit added 20 mins to the `perfect' M6 journey (with no traffic)...this is presumably allowing for the `realistic journey times' mentioned above, fine, the M6 does take longer...so why doesn't it send me down the M5? (Incidentally I tried this on the TomTom real traffic web page and it did send me down the M5!)

I tried this on a couple of other journeys i know too and it seems to do the same thing. Pick the best route under ideal conditions and stick to it, even if it has the information telling it other routes are better.

I am sure that the unit will get some good review on this site, because if you didn't know any better then it will get you there in the time it predicts (probably faster), but based on my tests I just don't trust it.

I have given it 2 stars as it will do the job (if badly) and has lots of goodies for the money.

The extras are nice, but the bottom line is that I want it to pick the best route to get me from A to B and it doesn't. A real shame as it was very close to being a great bit of kit.

ADDITIONAL:
Since writing this review I have purchased a TomTom 1005 (I agree with other reviews that the very latest TomTom's seem over priced and underspec'd). I agree with other reviewers that this Garmin Unit is much better, looks better, simpler to use, faster and is in general a much slicker piece of kit (i.e. you seem to have to press things on the TomTom to use the voice commands...which kinda makes it pointless). However the TomTom gives me accurate (to within a min or two timings) and better routing (it also tells you where the times have come from i.e. total time = best time +traffic + guessed busy route)...I guess it boils down to what is important to you in a satnav
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 19, 2014 2:36 PM BST

Escape from Blood Castle (Usborne Puzzle Adventures)
Escape from Blood Castle (Usborne Puzzle Adventures)
by Jenny Tyler

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved when I was a kid, bought for son and it's still great, 21 Jun 2013
This is a great book for a 6-9yr old. I read it nearly 30 years ago when I was one loved it, remembered it and have just bought for my niece to encourage her to read more.

The story is all about and adventure in a castle with dungeons and traps and stuff, but that's not really the cool bit. Each double page finishes with a puzzle about the picture that is on the pages, it might be 'how did he escape the trap' or 'find the hidden passage' etc, but great fun and really makes you feel involved in the story.

Either buy this or I seem to have seen a complication...so you could go the whole hog and get this instead!

Tommee Tippee Sangenic Nursery Essentials Tub
Tommee Tippee Sangenic Nursery Essentials Tub

3.0 out of 5 stars Generally good, but relativly expensive to 'run' and need to push nappies, 21 Jun 2013
I was offered this free via bounty so thought I'd give a go.

You put the nappy into the bin into a tube of wrap (like a long plastic bag stocking) then turn a handle, which twists the tube sealing the nappy in the bin. Generally this works well, it is easy to use and to empty and certainly does keep in the odours and I will keep using it. However there are a couple of issues...

1 - While it is generally hygienic you do have to push the nappy into the tube through some plastic fingers, this isn't usually a problem, but if you have particularly squishy nappies then this isn't always the most pleasant or clean task - much improved by good nappy wrapping.

2- The bin itself is quite cheap (free for me) but the refill cartridges are £4/5 each, not too bad as such (ours lasted well over a month) but much more costly than the equivalent nappy bags and does feel a little bit of a con.

Guitar All-in-One For Dummies
Guitar All-in-One For Dummies
by Consumer Dummies

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Info - Badly Put Together, 10 Mar 2013
I've had this book for a couple of months now and it's not bad,in fact I would have liked to have given it 3.5 stars, however it should have been so much better.

Good Points -

There is lots of information in here, and it comes with a CD so you can hear what pieces are 'supposed' to sound like. It does indeed cover lots of areas including buying guitars, some info on tuning, different styles etc and it's not a bad book to have...

But..

Bad Points -

The information has been put together pretty badly. It does feel like 8 books (well 6) have been put together but no effort has been made to combine them. So it will talk about chords, then stop and go onto a different subject, then back to chords somewhat later in the book...so there is not really any logical progression. So you start getting into one technique then you to go hunting to find more about it. Even within books things aren't very sensibly done; the first book talks about tuning, then position and then about buying your guitar.

Also sometimes the info is for dummies sometimes not, so it starts by assuming you don't know which end of a guitar to gold them goes on about playing the 7ths with no really explanation...you could find out by looking in the theory section...except there isn't one

It says it is 8 books in 1 and lists them on the front...except it isn't, the music composition and music theory sections just aren't in there...there are perhaps elements in the other chapters, but that comes back to my earlier point it's just mixed up.

It's not a terrible book, is decent value for money and there is a lot of useful info...I just feel it should have been much better and I am having to look for a better book to actually progress very far.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3