Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "sjgore15" (Hampton, United Kingdom)

American Classics: Duke Ellington; Caravan; Isfahan; The Mooche; In a Mellotone; Star-crossed Lovers

2.0 out of 5 stars not Duke Ellington, 27 Nov. 2013
The top level view of this CD on amazon looks like it is Duke Ellington's band, but it's not. I was expecting a big band treatment not a modern jazz take. A waste of my money unfortunately.

Songs of Praise - Celebrating 50 Years
Songs of Praise - Celebrating 50 Years

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but..., 8 Nov. 2012
The CD is pleasant enough but the arrangements/singing are mostly choral and classical, I was expecting more congregational singing from Songs of Praise. I wanted something cheerful to sing along with, maybe the words wouldn't be so clear in that case but I would have prefered it.

Through the Bible, Through the Year: Daily Reflections From Genesis to Revelation
by John R. W. Stott

5.0 out of 5 stars description not quite right..., 28 Oct. 2011
This is a collection of readings for the year, with the depth of insight and sensitivity that you would expect from John Stott. However it is a comprehensive selection of passages not the complete Bible as the description states. I could have given it four stars for that, but being John Stott I had to give it five.

ESSENTIAL BIBLE TRUTH TREASURY AND JOURNAL
ESSENTIAL BIBLE TRUTH TREASURY AND JOURNAL
by BEWES R & HICKS R

5.0 out of 5 stars Book & CD set, 20 Oct. 2011
I have both the (paper back) book and DVD set. It follows the All Souls tried and tested formula of presenting a topic with reference to verses throughout scripture, followed by a bible study on a longer passage that is a classic on the subject. The DVDs reinforce the initial teaching session, leaving one to do the longer bible study separately. It is a very thorough approach. I have been using the DVDs as my daily quiet time over breakfast, having a rather hectic schedule just now, and as a former member of All Souls it is lovely to have my pastor Richard Bewes in my living room each morning! Also fascinating to share in a Bible study with Joni Erikson Tada and Anne Graham Lotz, to name but a few.

There are 60 studies altogether, 6 each on ten topics, The Bible, God, Jesus Christ, The Holy Spirit, Humanity, God's Messengers, Salvation, The Christian, The Church and The Last Things.

I am surpised it is not more widely known and used. It would leave anyone with a solid grounding in the great truths of scripture. Although of course it should be backed up with reading of the whole Bible, making the point as the studies do themselves that we must beware of taking verses or passages out of context.