Profile for Tim > Reviews

Raw Spirit: In Search of the Perfect Dram
Raw Spirit: In Search of the Perfect Dram
by Iain Banks

2.0 out of 5 stars Banks ego trip., 17 July 2016
Fortunately I picked this up at a charity stall for £2 and didnt pay the £17.99 list price. Essentially its a Banks ego trip - the book is all about him and his opinions, loosely structured around a straggling road tour of the Scottish whisky distilleries. And the fellow isnt that interesting. However there's no denying his skill as a writer - which is why I read it through to the end (skipping the particularly tedius bits)

If you want to worship at the alter of one of Scotlands greatest writers - or like to use the word 'dram' a lot - then buy it and award 5 stars. Otherwise, I'd suggest ignoring this book, buy "The Wasp Factory" instead and work your way forward through his catalogue and some literally world class books. Unlike this one..

The Yiddish Policemen's Union
The Yiddish Policemen's Union
by Michael Chabon

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring., 11 July 2016
BORING !!!

I abandoned the book 1/4 in to it. Perhaps it got better later - who knows.

Bosch Refrigerator / Fridge Freezer Door Handle Strip
Bosch Refrigerator / Fridge Freezer Door Handle Strip
Offered by WowDiscounts

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot on., 22 Jun. 2016
Absolutely brilliant - original part & snaps right into place, dead easy, no tools or skill required. How long did I put up with the old broken handle!

When fitting, check you have removed got all the bits of the old handle 'cos little fragments of 'tab' can prevent the new handle fitting properly.

Snowpiercer (Region 2)
Snowpiercer (Region 2)
Offered by wmdservices

2.0 out of 5 stars Nope - I dont get it., 20 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Snowpiercer (Region 2) (DVD)
What was that all about ? this is a film that I truly 'did not get'. But without a shadow of a doubt its never worth 5 stars, ever.

As another reviewer says, there are so many references to other films - that I could take a whole page listing other films where the originals were done better. Judge Dredd, Polar Express, Charlie & the Chocalate factory, Thunderdome, etc. but that would be pointless.

Similarly, you could list every plot hole - there are MANY and they actually pile up on top of each other. And again that would be pointless, because I suspect that this is exactly what the film is about, its supposed to be derivative ! ! ! The script is like a pulp comicstrip story, written for fans that go to comic book stores...

Carriers [DVD] (2009)
Carriers [DVD] (2009)
Dvd ~ Lou Taylor Pucci
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars What would you do?, 18 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Carriers [DVD] (2009) (DVD)
End-of-civilization-as-we-know-it, because of a super infectious diseas... So not excactly happy ever after, and all the better for it. Acting, script and fiming are superb. Only downside is the rather confused location where the accents are 'mid pacific' yet the sets seem either midwest USA or coastal Australia! (is this the USA or Australia)

If you want a resume of the film read another review. All I have to say is the film is about the human condition, when push comes to shove what will we do to survive.

Sensei Wireless Gaming Mouse (PC DVD)
Sensei Wireless Gaming Mouse (PC DVD)

1.0 out of 5 stars Great mouse for CAD, hamstrung by short 'charge' life. Its a paperweight., 11 Jun. 2016
UPDATE: 2 weeks after purchase: TOTALLY USLESS because it cannot hold any charge over a weekend without being plugged in. Imagine you switch your PC off Friday, and then turn it back on Monday. Mouse is dead, totally zero, you cant even move the pointer on the screen to log on. You cannot even complete your PC system power-up so it charges the mouse ! - so all those 'oh so clever' settings are worth nothing if the sodding thing does not even function.

ORIGANAL THOUGHTS:

OK, I WORK for a living & bought this mouse for CAD designing. NOT for gaming (who has that much time to waste?) - so this review is from a professional CAD user perspective not a gamer.

Paid £52 which is ok if it improves my productivity just a tiny amount. Which it prob will.

Childish delight LED lights Ive disabled - they are a distraction. Ditto I have no use for the overkill sensitivity and other gaming features.

Comfort in use is a massive plus - it moves very smoothly, buttons are light & responsive without being 'clicky'. Wheel is just about right. This 'usability' is the reason I will keep it.

Battery life is a joke!! its stone dead if left overnight not plugged in, and then the software only gives a very crude indication of remaining charge. Compare this to my trusty Logitech M505 (2 x AA batteries) which lasts OVER A YEAR on one set and the software tells me exactly how much charge is left.

Yes I could use it wired, but wireless is the only way to work if you have a desk cuttered with reference drawings etc. Plus the 'drag' of the cable is a nuisance.

Conclusion. Excellent mouse if you are 'deskbound' and have the discipline to replace on the charger pad at break times, overnight etc. Useless if you work on a laptop or frequently from other locations. If only it had a couple of boring batteries inside it would be perfect.

HP Envy 17-N152NA 17.3-inch Laptop Intel Core i7-6500U 2.5 GHz / 3.1 GHz Turbo Processor, 12GB RAM, 1TB HDD, NVIDIA 940M 2GB Graphics, DVDRW, Backlit Keyboard, Fingerprint Reader, Windows 10

4.0 out of 5 stars Good laptop - spoiled by cheap branding & bloatware - but do HP care?, 12 May 2016
OK, I needed a high end 17" laptop that looked the biz, could power an external 27" monitor at 4k, run photoshop and autocad. This does all that effortlessly, but the fan does kick in (funny how me toshiba didnt struggle). It's SO OBVIOUSLY a mac lookalike especially with the aluminium chassis (yes, if you want to copy a brand then copy the best) and I absolutely detest the 'beatsaudio' branding - FFS this is my laptop and I dont want cheap advertising everytime i open the laptop - and the click pad is stone-age, these details DO matter so why dont HP care? and while I'm at it, it took me some while to delete the bloatware.

Bottom line: great laptop, useless bloatware, irritating 3rd party branding. Who gives a fck about beatsaudio - tossers.

Cold Smoking Starter Set
Cold Smoking Starter Set
Offered by Mac's BBQ Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Gold plated sawdust., 11 May 2016
Yes, the smokey kit & book are great - 5 stars for that - and I have no doubt it will work fine (book is actually rather good but for some unfathomable reason has no mention of home smoked bacon - surely EVERYONE likes bacon !). But the PRICE !!!! I somehow expected to get more for my money, each bag of sawdust is actually around the size of a half 'pack' of coffee. I cant believe I have just paid more than £50 for this. Never realized you could make so much money selling sawdust.

Now I've tried it out I'm less than impressed. It gives off such a tiny amount of smoke - barely there in fact - in desperation I've lit the spiral at both ends just to double the smoke. And in 5 hours I'll have to refill & re-light. This 3lb belly side of pork that I'm turning into smoked bacon is going to take more than a day to smoke.

Can You Do Me Good
Can You Do Me Good
Offered by westworld-

4.0 out of 5 stars There's some VERY good music here, 8 May 2016
This review is from: Can You Do Me Good (Audio CD)
There's some VERY good music here. Its differant from the Dels usual format - and the better for it. I'm kinda coming round to thinking its the best theyve done - much less commercial, no radio 2 hits here!

Into The Mirror: Del Amitri Live In Concert
Into The Mirror: Del Amitri Live In Concert

3.0 out of 5 stars J.C and the band play covers of their own songs., 6 May 2016
Yes the diehard fans will give this 5 stars, but that's a reflection of their optimism rather than the quality of the recording. The reality is a poorly recorded set of 'greatest hits' that sound muddy. Dont get me wrong - Ive seen J.C. several times live - so I had great hopes, but it sounds like the band are plodding through some very average covers of their own songs. 'Jimmy Blue' is the best by far, and almost the only track where J.C. and the band actually improve on the original. Lacklustre - and a great shame at that.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5