Profile for Tim > Reviews

Content by Tim

Tim (far far away)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
Samsung LS27D850T 27 inch WQHD PLS LED Monitor (2560x1440, 300cd/m2, 16:9)
Samsung LS27D850T 27 inch WQHD PLS LED Monitor (2560x1440, 300cd/m2, 16:9)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome, 16 Dec 2014
To use an Americanism this screen is 'awsome', absolutely crystal sharp 2560 x 1440 straight out of the box.

I am a freelance designer, using mainly Autocad with several DWG's, PDF's/ XL charts /e-mail etc all open at the same time, and I bought this to increase my screen acreage to view bigger drawings. It replaces a twin Sony 19" arrangement - so now I run the big 27" with a single 19" alongside for reference pages (the Sony 19" now looks pretty rubbish)

This screen is the best I have looked at by far - and this includes professional design consultancy use (only beaten by an Apple Thunderbolt at double the price) no dead pixels, colours are excellent. VERY bright (although there is plenty of adjustment so I can tone it down). Setup is plug'n'play, but initially the screen is worryingly blank until you you restart the PC then all is fine. What I like, is the bright screen is actually surprisingly restful to look at, absolutely clear.

My graphics card is nothing special: Nvidea GeForce GT640 with 4GB memory, using a supplied DVI-Dual cable to drive the 27" screen. IMPORTANT that you check your vid card / ports can handle the 2560 x 1440 resolution otherwise not much point getting the monitor!

Only niggles are the oversized stand (is it the same one for the 32" monitor?) and the very naff mitred 'pictureframe' around the screen. No idea how it performs for games, because it's a working tool for my business. Without a shadow of a doubt I wish I had bought this months ago - it's that good.

Sony KDL32W706BSU 32-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Smart TV with Freeview - Silver

3.0 out of 5 stars Great picture, awful operating system, 16 Dec 2014
Pros:

> Picture quality is second to none, absolutely superb. In the shop (Currys) this was obvious when viewed alongside other brands. Very stable systems, no breaking up etc.
> Netflix & BBCiplayer are great, as are the HD TV channels - a David Attenburgh wildlife film in HD is breathtaking.
> Easy set up, effortlessly connected wirelessly to internet. No doubt this will bring more functionality with time.

Jury out:

> Obviously its designed to operate best with a separate speaker system, but the on-board speakers are OK for everyday stuff.
> Havnt tried the various add-ons like 'football' 'social view' 'synch to laptop/ tablet' etc.
> General aesthetics (silver frame) not up to Sony's usual high-end standard. But its solidly built, nice and sturdy although weighs very little.

Cons:

> Negotiating the various operating menus with the Remote control is awful, 51 BUTTONS ! god knows what they all do. Does anybody have an idia what 'SEN' means? This makes a simple channel change from Netflx to normal TV a multi-button pressing frustration. This is even worse if like me you have normal sized fingers and mis-key. Add to this the 1 second delay before the TV reacts to each button-press, and you are pulling your hair out.
> Bent-wire TV stand is a cheap penny-pinching disgrace.
> Pre-installed Apps, unneccessary bloatware that Sony add to all their products. But not stuff we DO want like e-mail, Internet surfing or 4-OD (like Iplayer but channel 4)

Conclusion: Would be 5 stars except for the godawful operating system! I have no idea if other manufacturers are any better. Its great to WATCH, but REALLY frustrating to operate. Next time I will try out various brands in the shop, rather than just admiring the picture.

Ronseal CRDO 500ml Colron Refined Danish Oil
Ronseal CRDO 500ml Colron Refined Danish Oil

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb if you take time and care, 26 Oct 2014
Used to finish a new solid oak tabletop.

Oak was sanded down to 120 grit then applied oil liberally with brush, waited 5 mins, wiped off excess with cloth, left 24 hours to dry. Layers 2, 3, treated exactly the same as first, except replaced sanding down with light wirewooling to denib. Layer 4 I foolishly brushed on a decent layer & left it without wiping down: result it looked like a nasty polyurethane gloss - so after 24 hours I lightly sanded back and wirewooled heavily to 'kill' the gloss. Layer 5 wiped on a thin coat & after 3 mins buffed back.

Now its finished I'm delighted with the finish: Really brings up the true character of the oak, knots & all. Feels lovely & smooth with zero gloss. Colour is slightly darker (light honey) and very acceptable. Took around a week.

Keys to successful Danish oil finish are:

(1) Initial timber finish will be accentuated, so take your time to get it right.

(2) At least 4 layers, and keep them very light with min 24 hours between.

(3) Wirewool 0000 to de-nib and reduce gloss on high-spots.

(4) If you havent got the time or space, use something else! Danish oil is pretty awful when doen badly, but superb with time and care.

Fury [Blu-ray]
Fury [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Brad Pitt

3.0 out of 5 stars One for the war film fans., 23 Oct 2014
This review is from: Fury [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Better than you might expect.

I suppose you could pick holes in Pitt's typecast character (yawn he's the same as in Inglorius bustards) and the Holywood requirement for one of each character type in the central group (1 x troubled good guy, 1 x dirty rogue, 1 x clean cut leader, 1 x ethnic stereotype etc). And they seem to have got the tanks & uniforms right. Nice to see a film that isnt full-on CGI.

Surprisingly the story & acting does have some grimey depth.

So is it worth watching? well yes. But its not 'great' unless you are a Pitt fan.

Gorilla 236 ml Wood Glue
Gorilla 236 ml Wood Glue

4.0 out of 5 stars PVA glue, nothing special, 22 Oct 2014
It's just PVA glue, same as Evostik or any other non-brand white PVA. Only differance is it's less dilute so a little goes a long way, plus faster drying / less clamp time.

I used this to edge-bond 8 oak planks to make a table top. Worked fine, mostly the glue line was so tight as to vanish, and where there were fine gaps with my planing, the glue line was transparent. Claimed '30 mins clamp time' I didnt trust & left cramped up overnight. BEWARE this glue reacts with iron (sash cramp) & goes blue-black. Cleaned up easy. Final result great.

Spreader in nozzle is great for a thin bead of glue and the first time I have EVER found a glue nozzle that doesnt clog up solid.

Will definitely use again, not 'cos it's any stronger (which I doubt) but simply 'cos you use less glue so there is less mess & easier cleaning up the job afterwards.

Saints And Soldiers [DVD]
Saints And Soldiers [DVD]
Dvd ~ Corbin Allred
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Personally I enjoyed the moment when the floppy gun barrel wobbled up ..., 18 Oct 2014
This review is from: Saints And Soldiers [DVD] (DVD)
Ok, the almost brand new equipment (tanks, uniforms etc) will always be an issue & armchair warmovie geeks will be squealing about the German tanks - loosely based on a Panzer iii - being unauthentic etc. Personally I enjoyed the moment when the floppy gun barrel wobbled up and down.

The 'English' officer's accent was,,,,, remarkable. The characters are almost cartoon like in their depiction of sterotypes.

More to the point was the DVD worth watching? exactly 3 stars, straight down the middle. This is average and relegated to those evenings when you really cant be bothered to do anything better. Acting was unremarkable. Entertainment value also a 3.

I will however download the next one in the series and watch optimistically.

Battleship [DVD] [2012]
Battleship [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Liam Neeson

5.0 out of 5 stars WTF was that all about?, 10 Aug 2014
This review is from: Battleship [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
This movie cannot be reviewed positively regarding 'content' or 'dialogue' or any of the usual parameters - because it would fail outright, deservedly. Sheer entertainment is Battleship's single redeeming feature, and this is a "Saturday Night Special" : so reach for your high calorie salty snack, a beverage of your choice alcohol, and let your intellect take a break.

Case4Life Red Shockproof Splashproof External Backup Portable 2.5" Hard Drive Case for Western Digital Elements, My Passport Edge, My Passport for Mac, My Passport Enterprise, My Passport Ultra, My Passport Air, My Passport Studio, My Passport Essential, My Passport 500GB, 1TB, 2TB - Lifetime Warranty
Offered by Gadget Barn

3.0 out of 5 stars although the hard drive slops around inside which isn't good. To be honest the 'amazon basics' case is ..., 24 July 2014
OK, its RED so harder to lose (important!) but otherwise its ok, although the hard drive slops around inside which isn't good. To be honest the 'amazon basics' case is a better price and a much better fit.

Black Death [DVD] [2010]
Black Death [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Sean Bean
Offered by MediaMerchants

4.0 out of 5 stars Well that wasn't very nice - was it !, 20 July 2014
This review is from: Black Death [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
Surprising - I expected a B movie with Mr Bean hamming it in usual style (he must be 'the actor' that Directors always turn to for 'gritty historical macho') The reality is actually a pretty good movie. The dialogue is for a change quite fun - and the characters even get a bit of development. That French football geezer is especially good.

Why not the full 5 stars? well - it is a bit derivative. The monk is straight out of the name of the rose, and the witchy women a tad implausible. Unfortunately the director has employed the usual costume makers etc that do the rubbish Saturday afternoon ivanhoe + dragon etc / mock medieval films.

Overall, suitably repulsive.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars What makes this amazing, is it's the max speed coming in to ..., 17 July 2014
Unbelievable - I'm getting 14mbps wirelessly (around 20M from router, up one floor, through two solid brick walls, and the areal has usual clutter of computer peripheral hardware around it such as 2 x large speakers, twin monitors etc). What makes this amazing, is it's the max speed coming in to the router in the first place! so I couldn't get faster .

Couldn't be happier.

PC is running win 7 / 64 prof. So just 'plug'n'play' with the areal & a USB slot - didn't bother with the setup disc.

My pathetic TPlink wireless card / areal combo goes in the bin - useless bit of junk.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18