Profile for M. McCall > Reviews

Quantum: Einstein, Bohr and the Great Debate About the Nature of Reality
Quantum: Einstein, Bohr and the Great Debate About the Nature of Reality
Price: 4.79

5.0 out of 5 stars well beyond expectations, 9 Mar 2014
I though this book might be informative, but never expected it to be such a gripping page turner. The story behind the origin of quantum mechanics is truly amazing, and this book exposes the personalities, collaborations, competition and intrigue behind it. It is very accessible especially if you have a little maths knowledge. The questions of qm raise massive philosophical implications, and that is the true heart of this book. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

The Religion Virus: Why we believe in God
The Religion Virus: Why we believe in God
Price: 3.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've read on why religion is so popular, 27 April 2013
Although Hitchens and Dawkins are great at arguing their case against religion, they don't capture as well as this book why people are attracted to it. This book has great insight, which once found makes it seem all so obvious all along. If everyone read this book the world would be a different place.

The Universe is a Green Dragon: A Cosmic Creation Story
The Universe is a Green Dragon: A Cosmic Creation Story
by Brian Swimme
Price: 11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars This book made me a reverent athiest, 30 Oct 2010
Like another reviewer, I was given this book when I was a teenager, and it did have a pronounced effect on me for which I am truly grateful. Coming from a Christian upbringing, I had developed a sense of unease about the viability of this as a world view by my mid teens. I found this book inspirational at instilling a sense of wonder of the magnitude of the events that have shaped the universe, and in particular how we as humans come to exist. In doing so, it cemented for me the irreconcilable differences between a god viewed through the teachings of religion and the cosmic scale of where we come from. That every carbon atom in your body was formed billions of years ago in a supernova, is a staggering concept to get your head around, and the authors do a great job of conveying that.

The language can be rather glutinous if you don't buy into that sense of wonder, and the florid phrasing can sometimes seem an awkward and apologetic attempt to gel together two conflicting systems of belief in religion and science.

I'm sure many people find different things in this book, and will embrace the proposed Christian / science fusion, but for me it only half worked. I got a lot from the book, albeit not what the what was intended by the giver (who is a religious minister).

In terms of an updated view that provides alternate views of how and _why_ the universe unfolded to create us, and which gives answers to fill the gaps of the science of the time of this book into which the authors insert a deity, I'd highly recommend The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 1, 2013 6:33 PM GMT

Orchard Toys Who's in the Jungle?
Orchard Toys Who's in the Jungle?
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent jigsaw, 14 Mar 2010
Not sure a review is really required for a jigsaw, but my kids love jigsaws, and this one is their all time favourite. They must have done it more than 50 times each at around age 2. The pieces are a good size for a 2yo, the illustration is very colourful, and the picture is full of interest. They even learned about many new animals from this - such as flamingoes, iguanas and toucans. If you are like us, you'll need a good selection of jigsaws to do back to back, but this one is the best we've found so far.

Qualcast Elan 32 Electric Cylinder Lawnmower (32 cm Cutting Width)
Qualcast Elan 32 Electric Cylinder Lawnmower (32 cm Cutting Width)

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustratingly weak, 29 Jun 2008
Bought this mower in 2005, and it is still gong 3 years on. That's not to say that I have ever been totally satisfied with it though. I have managed to get the stripes, which gives a pleasing effect afterwards, however the actual mowing experience is not good. it can't handle damp lawns, and long grass needs to be done twice. Rather than a clean cut, the grass is flayed at the tips, which was what I was trying to avoid in getting a cylinder mower. I'd avoid this one - it is far too weak and flimsy.