Profile for C. C. Chivers > Reviews

Content by C. C. Chivers

C. C. Chivers "ccchivers" (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
Savic Chicken Fun
Savic Chicken Fun

5.0 out of 5 stars The girls love it, 17 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Savic Chicken Fun (Misc.)
The first time I put this into their cage, they were a little puzzled by it, but by the third time, they were making happy little noises and immediately tackled it and pecked up all the corn.

QuickBooks Premier 2014 - 1 User (PC)
QuickBooks Premier 2014 - 1 User (PC)

2.0 out of 5 stars Requires internet, 17 Feb. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm sorry to say that I don't like this product. I was expecting an integrated system which I could use at any time, but unfortunately it requires an internet connection to work properly which, to me, is useless as I don't want to have to search for a connection every time I need to work something out.

What I did see and try was set out clearly enough in the form of boxes which, when clicked on, opened up new boxes to enter information in. However, that's where it got a smidge complicated. Once I recorded a payment, I needed an internet connection for the system to acknowledge the deposit.

I'm sticking with Excel for now thanks.

Eset NOD32 Antivirus (2014)/PC/3 user/1 year/Eco-friendly packaging
Eset NOD32 Antivirus (2014)/PC/3 user/1 year/Eco-friendly packaging

4.0 out of 5 stars New for me, but it's fine., 23 Jan. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I feared that, as this came with a CD Rom, it would require the portal (or whatever it's called) for me to be able to download the programme and my laptop doesn't have a CD Rom thingy. However, my fears proved unfounded as it can be downloaded from the internet itself once you've registered, which is ironical, but useful.

Other than that, it does the job quietly and in the background, so I'm happy with it.

Vanish Powerpowder Carpet Cleaner, 650 g
Vanish Powerpowder Carpet Cleaner, 650 g

4.0 out of 5 stars Ingenious idea, but easily made., 23 Jan. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like the individual holes for the fingers which make it fun to use. It is most certainly a clever idea, but I believe a simple homemade mixture based on bicarbonate of soda would do equally well and would be far less expensive. As for its efficacy, I couldn't really tell as I have dark carpets. Nonetheless, I am sure that it killed a few bugs, which is always a plus - but so would the bicarb.

Corporate Finance For Dummies
Corporate Finance For Dummies
by Steven Collings

3.0 out of 5 stars Touches the basics of theory, 23 Jan. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although this book covers all the basics on the subject, including reading financial statements which is one of the most critical elements, it lacks two fundamental points - exercises and examples.

When learning to read financial statements you really need to have a couple of examples to show you step by step what is involved and to clarify terminology. After that, on such a seemingly simple subject, you most definitely need exercises to fully understand and ingrain it into the mind. This whole book is based on nothing but theory and consequently impractical.

I have read another 'dummies' book on a very similar subject and found a similar lack (though there are others which are good). Both of them require you to already have a basic understanding of fundamental principles of accounting before you read them, which defies the entire object of the books. As a starter, I highly recommend 'Accounts demystified' by Anthony Rice, but be prepared to sit down with this book rather than just read it on the tube as I did.

To sum up, this is a good book, but it is not for absolute beginners as it implies, and it could be improved.

The Emperor's Blades (Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne)
The Emperor's Blades (Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne)
by Brian Staveley

5.0 out of 5 stars I've found another good author, 22 Jan. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a fantastic book. The characters are seriously well written, the story is engaging right from the start. Be warned though, it is full of bad language, violence and death.

Two brothers, Kaden, heir to the throne of the empire, Valyn, his younger sibling. Kaden was brought to a monastery by his father eight years ago and told that the monks would teach him a crucial lesson, one his father was unable to teach. The monastery worships the Blank God, the God of nothingness. Kaden is taught in harsh and cruel ways, but taught for what reason? He is not destined to be a monk, so why is he there, what is it he is supposed to learn? Unknown to him, his father is dead, murdered. As something lurks around the monastery, killing goats and then worse, will he survive? Will he survive the tortures of the monks who demand repetitive, seemingly pointless and sometimes dangerous tasks, beating him for little to no reason?

Valyn has been sent to learn to be a Kettral, an elite soldier, a professional killing machine. Few survive the ordeals of training, let alone the final trial and here he is just another cadet. If he fails, he dies. One of the training exercises brings him to a ship that was attacked. On it he discovers a man, an elite imperial guard who tells him they were sent to protect him - him! A trained and deadly soldier. So now, not only is his father dead, but someone is trying to kill him too. How can he survive the training as well as assassination attempts. Who is trying to kill him: a teacher, a student, a civilian? Who can he trust? Is Kaden safe or is Valyn himself the next Emperor?

Then Kaden learns the reason he was sent to this particular monastery and legends and myths become reality.

Finish Dishwasher Cleaner Twin Pack, 2 x 250ml
Finish Dishwasher Cleaner Twin Pack, 2 x 250ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Very effective, 6 Dec. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I tend to be someone who prefers natural products, but sometimes chemically-based ones are necessary as they are the only things that work and this works!

The moment the dishwasher starts to leave a greasy residue on my dishes, I pop one of these in and they work beautifully: disintegrating grease, unblocking the drains and cleaning the dishwasher itself so that everything comes out clean again.

Brabantia Slide Bin, 5 L - Pure White
Brabantia Slide Bin, 5 L - Pure White

5.0 out of 5 stars No more unpleasant odours, 6 Dec. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Small, but convenient, this bin has a lid that is weighted so that it automatically closes after it's been opened. The box it comes in also includes a few bin liners as well. It is robustly constructed i.e. it won't fall over easily. I recommend it for potentially unpleasant-smelling waste.

If you're like me, you'll want to get this bin just for the sake of pushing it open and seeing it pop closed again most satisfyingly. Push, close, push, close - ah simple minds!

Prestige 75 Year Stainless Steel Cookware Set, 4-Piece - Silver
Prestige 75 Year Stainless Steel Cookware Set, 4-Piece - Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Love them!, 6 Dec. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Solidly constructed, the aluminium core makes the water boil a lot faster than other pans and the long handle covered means I don't have to worry about my forefinger getting unpleasantly overheated when I touch a hot pan.

The non-stick frying pan works beautifully. My eggs can get stuck in some way to the bottom of the iron skillet, but with the non-stick pan, I got every bit of it off!

Fry's English Delight 6 (BBC Audio)
Fry's English Delight 6 (BBC Audio)
by Stephen Fry
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! I learned a lot!, 15 Oct. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This has given me a new perspective on the English language as a whole. It is quite remarkable to learn that spelling used to be wholly logical, but due to various influences has now become the confusing amalgamation that we know today. Moreover, who knew that a dictionary is primarily a record of how words are used rather than a reference book.

I am no longer quite so contemptuous of those who 'can't spell' because how a word is spelled today is unlikely to have been how it was spelled many years ago. It makes you think twice about dislexia as well.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18