Profile for Shane F > Reviews

Content by Shane F

Shane F "shanef" (Ireland)

The Collected Stories of Amy Hempel
The Collected Stories of Amy Hempel
by Amy Hempel

3.0 out of 5 stars Short, terse and moving, 9 Jun 2006
Like most people, I had never heard of Amy Hempel until Chuck Palahaniuk recommended her in his collection of essays "Non Fiction". Hempel is a very different writer to Chuck and reminds me alot of Sylvia Plath. Most of the stories are short (except the novella "Tumble home") and very satisfying, whetting the appetite for more.

Hempel deals with the quotidien often incorporating her deep affection for animals into her stories.

Hempel is compared, by author Rick Moody in the preface ,to Raymond Carver and Richard Ford.

However I feel Hempel to be a more sensitive soul and this comes across in these short stories.

Rock Springs
Rock Springs
by Richard Ford

5.0 out of 5 stars A short story masterpiece, 14 Dec 2005
This review is from: Rock Springs (Paperback)
I can't believe there isn't a review for this collection of short stories already on this site. This is a fantastic collection from a writer more renowned for his novels.
The stories here pack a shorter more powerful punch and are just as enjoyable as Sportswriter and Independence Day.
In style they may be compared to Carver and Woolfe dealing in family dysfunction, addiction and crushed dreams. "Optimists" for example is a particularly shocking tale of accidental and not so accidental death.
Most of the sories are set in small town Montana or in one excellent story on a train heading there and beautifully evoke a small town feel.
I cannot recommend this book highly enough and certainly ranks up there with "Hunters in the snow" by Tobias Woolfe.

Roots
Roots

3.0 out of 5 stars A Disappointing Release, 20 Mar 2004
This review is from: Roots (Audio CD)
Being a massive Sepultura fan at the time I always fellt that this was a good album. However with the benefit of hindsight it must be said that Roots really falls short of previous releases. When I recently bought the live album I found myself being bored by the Roots songs and even skipping some. Creatively Sepultura pushed the boat out with this album and must be commended for this but the song quality suffers as a result. There is way too much filler here such as Attitude, Endangered Species and Dusted. None of the songs are bad but nothing here compares to Inner Self, Slaves of Pain, From the past comes the storms, Arise or Refuse/resist.
I think that perhaps the rot had set in in the making of this album and it shows in the bland writing.
However there are some good songs also such as Cut Throat and Rattamahatta. But overall not up to Sepultura's impeccable standards.

Probot
Probot

4.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining selection of styles and influences., 10 Mar 2004
This review is from: Probot (Audio CD)
Not being a Foo fighters/ Nirvana fan I approached this album with suspicion initially. However after a weeks repeated listening it has firmly captivated and brought me back to my youth. Like many metal fans in my agegroup, bands like DRI, Voivod and Motorhead were staples of my diet growing up. Its great to hear the old voices again, especially so well produced and with such a good musician as Dave Grohl providing the backing sounds. Grohl has written each song to suit the style of the singer and this gives the album a compilation feel rather than that of a unit. In my opinion there isnt really a weak point to this album. Obvious highlights are Red War with the peerless Max Cavalera, Silent Spring with DRIs Kurt Brecht and Centuries of Sin with Cronos.
All the tracks have something to offer and have introduced me to some bands that I heard of but never sampled such as Trouble and
The Obsessed whose back catalogues I will be checking out. In this world of nu metal and lite metal this album is something to savour and proves that the originals are still the best. That in itself justifies the buying of this record. Dave Grohl take a bow.

Paris-Roubaix: 1994 [VHS]
Paris-Roubaix: 1994 [VHS]

5.0 out of 5 stars Tchmill Powers Home In Mudbath, 30 Dec 2001
Moldovan strongman Andrei Tchmill conquered both the conditions and Johann Museeuw in this thrilling edition of the Queen of the Classics
Tchmill saw his oportunity with aprox. one hour of racing remaining.
Museeuw followed Tchmill's attack and closed the gap to a very threatening 18 seconds. In savage conditions, where keeping upright through the mud and cobbles was almost impossible, Tchmill fought off Museeuw to win a hugely deserved victory into the track at Roubaix.

The Ground Beneath Her Feet
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
by Salman Rushdie

2.0 out of 5 stars Very ambitious but falls short of its targets., 3 Mar 2001
This is the second Rushdie novel I have read. The first, Midnight's Children was a revelation and highly readable. This is no less readable and starts quite well. However the book does really loose the run of itself. It seems to me badly edited and Rushdie does wander alot. The main characters ,Vina and Ormus, become painfully self obsessed and self centred. The narrator, Rai is a likeable chap and suffers badly from under exposure. I found myself eagerly anticipating the end of the book, not to see how it finishes but because I was bored silly by its duality and its unexpected blandness. A thorough waste of time.