Profile for Robin Shipp > Reviews

Content by Robin Shipp

Robin Shipp (Bristol, UK)

Patience (After Sebald) [DVD]
Patience (After Sebald) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Grant Gee

4.0 out of 5 stars Weird but wonderful, 25 May 2012
I had read 'Rings of Saturn' and I come from East Anglia so I was bound to go for a film based on Sebald's book. Will this make sense without a review of the book too? I'm not sure. I won't go into it here, but the book is weird, very personal, goes off in many different directions but is totally fascinating. The film has the same sort of free-ranging weirdness and includes interesting insights into Sebald from writers and friends.
If you have read the book then, in my estimation, the film will hugely complement it. If you see the film first it will probably make you want to read the book but it might just put you off.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars FreeCAD scam, 5 Sept. 2011
DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY BUYING THIS BOOK. Gosh, I've never ever typed all in CAPITALS before.

I wanted some information on how to use FreeCAD, which I have downloaded. This book does not provide that. Out of 104 pages, only two (yes, two) cover FreeCAD, and those are a simple description of what the program does. The rest covers a load of fairly random articles on various computer subjects including (you won't believe this) Windows. All the articles have been lifted from Wikipedia. I cannot see that the "editors" have added any value whatsoever.

Just to remind you, DON'T BUY IT!

Fellowes 58715 - FELLOWES EARTH AND MOON MAT
Fellowes 58715 - FELLOWES EARTH AND MOON MAT
Offered by LambdaTek ComponentShop

5.0 out of 5 stars earth and moon under the mouse, 8 May 2011
If I was being a bit miserable, I would not even think it worth writing a review on this. It was reasonably priced, it was what I expected and it arrived promptly. What more can I say?
I might just say that I had given up using mouse mats. An optical mouse was working perfectly well on my desk and it did not seem worth cluttering up the surface of the desk with a mat. Then I noticed that the mouse wasn't running quite as easily as I remembered and when I looked closely, the varnish on the desk surface was just beginning to wear off, leaving it very slightly rough. With the mouse mat, it is fine.
So, not much of a review of the product, but a little homily on the virtue of using a mouse mat. The picture is nice too.

Programming in Python 3: A Complete Introduction to the Python Language (Developer's Library)
by Mark Summerfield

4.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction, 28 Aug. 2009
Not a bad book. I already had the O'Reilly "Learning Python" book. At the end I knew a lot but there wasn't much I felt I could actually do. I'm only just getting into this one but it has a much better feel (and it covers version 3). Summerfield gives you useful examples at the end of each chapter. I think they are on a supporting website but you learn much more about the syntax by actually typing them in yourself. He then sets exercises which invite you to extend those examples by adding extra features, tidying up the output and so on. That seems like a really good way to handle learning a language. Python is a really nice language. My books on Java are gathering dust now.