3 of 6 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars
Fantastic, revolutionary game, 28 Oct. 2008
Far Cry 2 is an absolutely fantastic game, and beats out just about every game but GTA IV on the epic proportions front.
I'll break it down into a pro's and con's list:
+ As said above, the game world is huge.
+ Weapons are fun and interesting, plus upgrades can be bought.
+ Absolutely hours of content (30+ hours), plus 3 hours more if you enter the promotional content code.
+ AI is almost always brilliant and challenging.
+ Procedural storyline (ever-changing random story elements), first commercial game to use this technology (closely followed by Left 4 Dead).
+ Absolutely stunning game world.
+ Incredibly immersive attention to detail.
+ Impressive buddy system, buddies will save you and give extra missions in-game, and flesh out their own stories.
- While there is a procedural story, it is only ever used at the start, midpoint and end of the game in short bursts, the rest of the game can get repetitive and barren of story.
- Driving around takes ages (reminiscent of the sea in Zelda: Wind Waker perhaps).
- Enemy AI will sometimes not spot you when you're really close, but will sometimes spot you from miles away.
- DRM SecuRom stuff means only 5 installs are allowed - even on Steam.
- Enemies respawn really frequently in areas you've previously cleared.
- Nothing like original Far Cry, don't expect it to be or you'll be disappointed.
Overall, it's a great action romp in a beautiful setting. There are plenty of flaws, but you'll forget them nearly all the time as your immersed in the world. I gave it 4 because of DRM and the aforementioned flaws.