ARRAY(0xa5387564)

Airfix 1:72  Supermarine Spitfire Mk1a Military Aircraft Series 1 Model Kit
Airfix 1:72 Supermarine Spitfire Mk1a Military Aircraft Series 1 Model Kit
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A very easy but rewarding build., 26 July 2013
A beautifully rendered model, head and shoulders better than previous offerings of the 1/72 Spitfire from Airfix.

A highly detailed cockpit that cannot be appreciated once the model is completed (especially if the pilot is seated therein).

A special mention to be made is that the parts are secure on the spruce and need to be carefully cut off, but with a sharp modeller's knife the task is easy and once off the pieces go together really well.

There is very little spew so the new tooling works well.

In conclusion, this is a very easy but rewarding build.

Airfix Small Aircraft Display Stand (Assorted)
Airfix Small Aircraft Display Stand (Assorted)
Price: 9.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I am too old!!!, 3 Oct 2012
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
It may be because I am so old that I remember when a kit used to have a stand included with the kit.

It may be because I am so old that I prefer to display my completed models (rather than play with them) that I feel that a stand is an intrinsic part of any model kit. After all Airfix still provides stands with their ship range.

It may be because I am so old that I feel that the omission of a stand with a model kit is the equivalent of missing batteries or plug for an electrical appliance.

It may be because I am so old that I feel that having to purchase this product is the equivalent of being ripped off...

Having said all that I did buy the product, having I paid over 10 for the privilege to display up to ten of my kits and therefore probably have worsened the problem by proving to Airfix that leaving important components out of a kit can be a money spinner.

It may be because I am so old that I say "shame on you Airfix"....
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 3, 2012 9:33 PM BST

Airfix A50039 Dogfight Double Gloster Meteor & V1 Doodlebug 1:72 Scale Military Aircraft Gift Set including paint glue & brushes

5.0 out of 5 stars Two easy to assemble kits, 10 Aug 2012
I brought a red box version of this dogfight double and imagine that the contents are identical to this offering.

Both kits are easy to assemble. The V1 must be the simplest kit in the Airfix range with only four parts it goes together well and is easy to paint (all black).

The Meteor kit is also a very simple kit. It is not overly complicated and I found it went together well. If you are a perfectionist you can work on the bits that do not fit "exactly ", but the kit does fit together well for the hobbyist.

This is an ideal kit for someone new to modelling that just enjoys putting a kit together.

Airfix A01003 Curtis P-40B Tomahawk 1:72 Scale Series 1 Plastic Model Kit
Airfix A01003 Curtis P-40B Tomahawk 1:72 Scale Series 1 Plastic Model Kit
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully rendered model, 3 Aug 2012
A beautifully rendered model with exquisite detail for 1/72 scale. Which includes a cockpit that would be a credit to a 1/48th example. On top of all this it is an easy build.
Just be aware the parts are well fixed to the spruce/runner and will need care when removing.

Airfix A01034 Yakovlev Yak 9D 1:72 Scale Series 1 Plastic Model Kit
Airfix A01034 Yakovlev Yak 9D 1:72 Scale Series 1 Plastic Model Kit
Offered by Gaugemaster
Price: 5.95

3.0 out of 5 stars An easy kit to build almost ideal for a first kit., 27 May 2012
An easy kit to build almost ideal for a first kit.

Painting instructions a little puzzling in that the box art show a brown / green camouflage but instructions indicate a green / black scheme. This is just strange and should not otherwise distract that the kit is a quick and easy build.

Detail is basic and spew needs to be removed to ensure clean and easy fit. However the kit does not quite go together with a flush finish so if you are a perfectionist either avoid this kit like the plague or rise to the challenge and get hold of some fine grain sand paper.

As a general note Airfix no longer provide stands for their 1/72 aircraft kits for reasons best known to themselves, but this kit already has the stand slot open, so if you do not have a stand you may wish to put a filler in the open slot!

Airfix 1:72 - Yak 9D
Airfix 1:72 - Yak 9D

This review is from: Airfix 1:72 - Yak 9D (Toy)
An easy kit to build almost ideal for a first kit.

As a general note Airfix no longer provide stands for their 1/72 aircraft kits for reasons best known to themselves, but this kit already has the stand slot open, so if you do not have a stand you may wish to put a filler in the open stand slot!

Revell Titanic Ship Plastic Model Gift Set
Revell Titanic Ship Plastic Model Gift Set
Offered by STRAIGHT2YOU
Price: 24.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Size if a bit tricky, 18 April 2012
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This kit come with two complete models. The smaller one 1/1200 is a quick and easy build but with very reduced detail.

The larger kit 1/500 is also relatively easy to build but I found quite difficult to paint.

From a build perspective; the build was straight forward, but a very sharp knife and care is needed to remove smaller pieces from the spruce. A lot of preparation is needed to ensure all the spew is removed from all the pieces to ensure a good fit. Even though the kit fit together well you will probably need small amounts of filler to ensure a nice finish.

From a paint perspective; the model was quite tricky to paint. The main superstructure has the deck walls already molded to the deck so you will really need to think carefully about a paint plan. The stairs were a specific challenge for me.

The instructions on painting are really basic so you may need to refer to the box or other literature for more detailed painting.

The rigging is kept to a basic but effect minimum, but again the radio section quite difficult to get right.

To get a nice finish you really need to take your time. This Revell kit is a nice compromise between detail and size.

I used the finished model as part of a display for a Primary School activity week. On day 1 it was knocked off its shelf by a Teaching Assistant...the model survived the fall (only loosing the radio rigging...I would bet if the model was hit by a scale model of an iceberg it would have also survived!).

Airfix A02044 Chance Vought F4U Corsair (FAA) 1:72 Scale Series 2 Plastic Model Kit
Offered by kingkit
Price: 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A very pleasant build., 2 Jan 2012
A very pleasant build. It went together well and would make a good starter kit. The painting of the 1945 version is straight forward (one colour all round) where as the 1944 version requires you to mix paints to get the appropriate hue for the sea grey camouflage.

Airfix A02050 1:72 Scale Brewster Buffalo Military Aircraft Classic Kit Series 2

3.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly fiddly model., 2 Jan 2012
A surprisingly fiddly model. This is not a kit to be used as a beginner's kit. I brought and built this model with the anticipation that I would be able to build it quickly. I found the undercarriage relatively fiddly and really needed to plan the painting order before I continued with the build (I chose to build the US version). In the end I had to take my time to build what initially looked like a quick build.

All in all this is actually an interesting build (and ultimately enjoyable) but this could really make the build surprisingly challenging for a beginner.

4G Touch Twin Pack Black & Clear Silicone Protective Armour Case Cover + Screen Protector Kit for New Apple iPod Touch 4th Generation - 8GB 32GB 64GB
Offered by Akis Enterprises
Price: 2.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Ultimately pointless., 11 Mar 2011
I carry my I-pod touch with me all the time (mostly in my trousers)...this cover falls off regularly. As time passes my I-pod likes to free itself from its straight jacket and though the cover feels nice it does not really do what it is meant to do...that is protect the I-pod.

On a number of occasions I reach for the device in my pocket only to find that on its journey from my pocket to the outside world the device has popped out and on one occasion I had the cover in my hand but my I-pod fell earth bound...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3