Profile for Mr. A. Ball > Reviews

Content by Mr. A. Ball

Mr. A. Ball (Somerset, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Malipiero: Fantasie Di Ogni Giomo [Francesco La Vecchia] [Naxos: 8573291]
Malipiero: Fantasie Di Ogni Giomo [Francesco La Vecchia] [Naxos: 8573291]

4.0 out of 5 stars I've fallen in love with his music and since purchasing this album have ..., 8 Nov 2014
I have recently discovered this composer, little known outside of Italy. I've fallen in love with his music and since purchasing this album have purchased several others. I would recommend all of the Symphonies on Naxos also. His music is singular inasmuch as he doesn't side like to anyone else to my ears. I can easily lose myself in the melodies and it transports me to the mind of the composer, which I suppose is the whole point of music. I'm a little disappointed that a lot more of his music isn't available. While I haven't described the music, I'll leave that to more knowledgable people I recommend that you give Malipiero a listen, you won't regret it.

Rachmaninov: The Rock
Rachmaninov: The Rock

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite Composer, 8 Oct 2013
This review is from: Rachmaninov: The Rock (Audio CD)
For reasons I cannot for the life of me explain, I just adore Rachmaninov and keep returning to him over other composers.

I have a rather full iPod, that contains nearly every piece of music written by Rachmaninov. I have just received this disc and it
very quickly replaced the versions of all five pieces that I listen to regularly.

The playing is wonderful, clarity of sound top notch. There just seems something right in a Russian orchestra playing Rachmaninov's music.

This is an album that would grace anyones collection.

Back Into the Woods
Back Into the Woods

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fine Wine, 25 Mar 2013
This review is from: Back Into the Woods (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of Ed Harcourt since the Here Be Monsters album and relish the release of each and every new album. I won't speak about the nuances of the music contained on this album, but I will say the Ed Harcourt has matured like a fine wine. He has a voice that I could listen to for hours, his musicianship is top notch and the songs are always gems. He deserves to be more widely known than he is. I'm a musician and songwriter and If I could write just one song as good as any one of Ed's then I would be a happy man. In case Ed reads the reviews on here, I would say to him to keep on producing albums like this one, I for one will buy anything he releases knowing confidently that every one will be great.

Rumspringa
Rumspringa

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good album, 17 July 2012
This review is from: Rumspringa (Audio CD)
I bought this album on the strength of a comment on Twitter by Efterklang, the Danish band. I understand that they amongst others are playing on the album. I was drawn straight away to the track Indian Summer which is sublime. The remaining tracks are of similar standard and the true test to me of how good an album is how you can listen and before you know it the album has finished. This is one of those albums, time flies and you are left to press the play button again and again. If you like the music of Efterklang, Sigur Ros and Peter Broderick you wont go wrong purchasing this album. I have also found similarities with Gotye, but thats no bad thing either. I will leave others to dissect the music on the album. I will just say great songs and this is an album I will keep returning to.

The Wire: Complete HBO Season 2 [DVD] [2005]
The Wire: Complete HBO Season 2 [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Dominic West

5.0 out of 5 stars The best thing on TV ever, 2 Jun 2008
I fortunately read a magazine article recently about decent TV programmes and The Wire was mentioned as rivalling The Sopranos as possibly the greatest programme ever made. I'm probably the same as a lot of people in that I'd missed this totally on TV, but boy am I glad I chose to buy that magazine. I'm now A Wire addict, watched season one in a couple of days and just finishing season two with season three on order. I am turning friends onto this as well. I won't harp on about the storylines as from reading the other reviews everybody should know the plot. I just felt compelled to wax lyrical about how great this drama is. I love the fact that a whole season follows an investigation, rather than watching other programmes that try and fit everything into an hour. The characters are all believable, with McNulty being the best character on TV. Well from now on when watching TV, if it doesn't match up with The Wire then I'm not watching it. The only downside for me is that season five is not out until September, still I can re-watch seasons 1 to 4. Thank God for The Wire, a programme I can believe in.

Proxima Estacion Esperanza
Proxima Estacion Esperanza
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive magic that can't be categorised, 5 Sep 2007
If like me you used to dismiss music that was not sung in English, then buy this now and change your view on the music out there in the wide world. I got into Manu Chao by chance when I spoke to a very knowing person who advised me to try him out. Not many people have heard of Manu Chao presumably because he is just not written about in the British music press. The music itself as described by others is a mix of world music, sung in several languages including English. The songs just bring joy and addiction. I haven't stopped listening to this album since buying it. It is hard to describe what the music brings to me, but a smile to my face. I know that you don't need to know what is being sung about as long as the music is good, the music is great. The only problem is now that there is a big back catalogue of music (including Mano Negra) that I am now going to have to purchase. Still that is a good thing, because though I'm 40 years old I still love discovering something new. I discover something new in this album every time I listen to it. I've ordered several more of the back catalogue and can't wait for the postman to deliver them. Thats it I've waffled enough, the album has now finished it's time to press the play button again.

The Traveling Wilburys Collection [2 CD + DVD]
The Traveling Wilburys Collection [2 CD + DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Super Of Supergroups, 18 Jun 2007
Just list the names George Harrison, Bob Dylan, Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty and the greatest voice in rock n roll Roy Orbison. There really is not much else to say. I bought the first album when it first came out and thought it was good. Now with the passing of the years and two fifths of the band now sadly gone I now believe that the album is just a gift. Put it in the CD player lock everyone else out of the room and immerse yourself in it. I just get a sense that they all had a load of fun making it. Just five friends away from the pressures of the industry, with no pressure to record a great album because it was totally spontaneous and unplanned. The five voices compliment each other so well, there isn't any part you would replace, it is totally perfect with Roy Orbison ever present appearing to float in and out of the songs. If you want to hear a great example of the Big O's beautiful voice just listen to NOT ALONE ANYMORE. When his voice appears on the songs it just brings a smile to my face. Thank God somebody decided to re-release this package with both albums and the DVD which is short but superb. I believe this album will appeal to all, not just us that bought the album first time around but kids new to the music. Everybody should own this for the pure joy of listening to five stars on one album having fun. Just click the "add to basket" button, don't think about it just do it you won't regret it.

Irish Tour
Irish Tour

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Magic, 4 Jun 2007
This review is from: Irish Tour (Audio CD)
My title says it all. This album is pure magic. A great guitarist, great songs, great band. Every song on this album is brilliant. I will echo other reviewers and state that A Million Miles Away not only betters the studio album's version, but is probably the greatest recorded live song on the greatest live album. If I was challenged to choose my favourite album of all time, then this it without a doubt. In my own opinion Rory Gallagher is by far more superior to Hendrix and anybody else you could think of. A mark to me of a great guitarist is that I'm a guitar player and I struggle to play anything by Rory Gallagher, that makes Rory head and shoulders above all comers. This is sounding like my own tribute to Rory Gallagher, so I will say one more thing brighten up your life and own this album. You won't be sorry, it will become your favourite.

Jackson Browne: Saturate Before Using (Remastered)
Jackson Browne: Saturate Before Using (Remastered)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Brilliant, 5 April 2007
I've recently got into Jackson Browne after reading Hotel California by Barney Hoskyns.I know it is sacreligious but i've never liked the Eagles and have associated all artists from that period with The Eagles. The book opened my eyes to artists such as Jackson Browne, Judee Sill to name but a couple. I bought this on the strength of the comments in the book. I must say that I am far from disappointed. The songs are great, melodies superb. I find the whole album uplifting and have not stopped listening to it. I always love discovering music anew, albeit thirty years after it was originally released. I've continued buying more JB albums, but love this one as it was the first i discovered. Do yourself a favour, If you love great songs sung by a great voice, then this is the album for you. If you are like me and buy everything by an artist once you have been bitten then this is the ideal place to start. Apologies that this is a piece about my feelings for the album rather than the music, but this album has got hold of me and won't let go.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 15, 2014 1:25 PM GMT

From The Sky
From The Sky
Offered by Direct Entertainment UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Debut, 27 July 2006
This review is from: From The Sky (Audio CD)
First of all I don't hold with marking everything with 5 stars, it all becomes a bit of a farce. That said this is a great album. Very Coldplay/Editors in feel but a whole lot better. Not a bad song on the album and very worthwhile of the admission price. Some superb songs crafted by some excellent and talented musicians. I don't like to wax too lyrical so I will just say, buy it you won't regret it and it will probably become your album of the year just like it's becoming mine.

Page: 1 | 2