ARRAY(0xba673cd8)

Standing At the Sky's Edge
Offered by westworld-
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Best CD I've bought in a long time., 20 July 2012
This Album has brought me to Richard Hawley, I wasn't a fan until I saw & heard him play tracks off this Album live on Later with Jool's. So my review is impartial and not based on 'what he used to be like' because I dont know!.
Standing At The Sky's Edge is fantastic if you like music that is sublime and stylishly modern but with a touch of old-school playing styles & sound- I love the Rickenbacker 12 string on Down In The Woods!.
I don't like to use the word "psychedelic" but that is the word this album conjours up quite afew times with it's beautiful pastiche of melodies & soundscaping. The lyrics, the music & imagery are all pure magic and I rate this Album as the best I have bought in a very long time.
Lastly some words on the presentation, the Album cover artwork is great and reflects the style of the Music perfectly.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 28, 2013 10:53 PM GMT

The Crossing [2CD Deluxe Edition]
The Crossing [2CD Deluxe Edition]
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 12.08

5.0 out of 5 stars A Timeless Classic!, 9 Feb 2012
I first saw Big Country in 1982 or 83 at a very early small gig before 'The Crossing' was released, there was only about 30 or 40 people at this gig, we all thought the Band would call it off but Stuart and the Band came out and put on an aboslutely terrific performance just as if they were playing to a 30,000 or 40,000 strong audience and not to a small gathering in a less than half empty room, I didn't know it at the time but the songs they played that night were most of the tracks that were due to be released on The Crossing.
I went home from that gig a Big Country fan and can proudly say I have been ever since.

As my review title suggests this Album is a timeless classic that has not aged one bit, alot of early 80's music has not stood the test of time well or at all, but Big Country's debut Album The Crossing has and then some.
It's all here, the brilliant Guitar riffs, the vibrant energy & solid ryhthm, the honest passion of the lyrics all combine and effortlessly fuse into one of the best records ever made period!.
There's something here for everyone, my own personal favorites are Inwards, Close Action, 1,000 Stars, Balcony, Angle Park, and of course Fields Of Fire, the extra unreleased tracks & demos are great too, you don't need to be a die-hard Big Country fan (like me) to appreciate them beause they are very good- it's that simple!.

I totally agree with all the other reviewers here where they say that Big Country were under-rated and overlooked, & even now Stuart Adamson as a Guitarist was and still is under-rated & overlooked by Guitarist magazines.
At the time during the 80's The Edge of U2 gained a prestigeous mantle that I have always thought Stuart Adamson also deserved in equal measure if not more so, but to us who know his Music Stuart Adamson was in a league of his own.

When Stuart sadly passed we all lost a truly gifted and talented Musician and a man whose life stood for integrity and honesty, The Crossing is a priceless legacy and a pure testmony to what a really gifted Songwriter and Guitarist Stuart Adamson was.
To sum up, this is a 'must have' CD version of one of the very best debut albums of a band that continued to produce great music consistantly throughout their career and I for one thank them for it. Buy it!.